Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#171198 12/26/2006 3:46 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
I am currently on version 5.45....obviously need to update. I have requested all my license info be sent to me. In the newer version is there a way to set a single password (without registration) for all forums? We use the BB for online courses. We want people to have to enter a password to view the bulletin board before they even register to be able to post.

Hope this makes sense.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is no passworded forums in 7.0 like there was in UBB.C (however it was a great feature and I for one quite loved it).

Viewing the board in general with a password, I don't think I've ever seen in the first place; you could try just assigning a password to the directory your forum is installed in through apache (see the apache documentation for htpasswd), it'd pop up a password box for a user to input a username and password in order to access your threads install... although i think the registration queue and no guest viewing of forums in 7 would be a better way of going about this.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
...you could try just assigning a password to the directory your forum is installed in...

I thought of that, too, but then realized that'd stop your site from being crawled, no?

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jgeoff
I thought of that, too, but then realized that'd stop your site from being crawled, no?
A spider is a "guest user" if a guest cannot view it, then a spider cannot crawl it.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Are we talking about two different things, or are you still a little under the weather? tongue wink

If you password-protect the forum, like any directory, no one (including a search bot) will be able to visit it w/o the password. And on top of that, registered members will need to go through that extra log-in step as well. I don't see that as an attractive solution. wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Agreed and I don't have a current need for this extra, but soon if it works out I will want/need something.

I'll put in my 2 cents to ask for more control for forum/group/user levels.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well considering the original question was if there was a way to set a single password before the user could view any forums or register I don't think Connie wants it to be indexed by spiders either.

If that's the case then an .htaccess file on the entire ubbthreads directory would be the best way to go.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Are we talking about two different things, or are you still a little under the weather? tongue wink

If you password-protect the forum, like any directory, no one (including a search bot) will be able to visit it w/o the password. And on top of that, registered members will need to go through that extra log-in step as well. I don't see that as an attractive solution. wink

Thats what i was saying, if a guest (an un-authenticated user) cannot access yoru forum, a search engine robot will nto be able to either.

They, form what i coudl tell, where saying they wanted an additional means of password to view their forum, which is what htpasswd would be for

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,073 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29