Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
After I upgrade from UBBT6 to UBBT7 , My (administrator) PM box is full of 'Welcome' message which are automatically sent to users.
This cause my PM's box has 2200+ pages (20 message / page).

I want to delete all of these PMs with the same Subject 'Welcome' .
What SQL command should I write ?

Here is my table :
Code
| ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_POSTS   |
| ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS  |
| ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_USERS   |

Code
mysql> select count(*) from ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS where TOPIC_SUBJECT = 'Welcome';

+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|    31330 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.17 sec)

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
as the pm users table contains only topic id's it's impossible to cleanly purge everything with sql commands; however I have built a php script (free, cas I'm nice like that) which is capable of doing just this. You can get it at UBBDev here.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you .
It helps me a lot , cleaning thousands of welcome messages ... smile

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not a problem; a lot of people had the same issues, figured something had to be done wink...

One thing I'm thinking about is cleaning up non-existant pm's which are shown in the users table; as some people just purged the other two and left that one unaffected (granted, I provided the query to do it, so I feel semi responsible). But I haven't done much work on that one yet (though as I have the issue on my main forum, it will eventually be done); this one was just for the community to assist all imported users (as I'm sure other products will have similar issues as well , should they have welcome messages)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I don't see why a "correct" SQL statement(s) can't correctly do it. I don't see where PHP adds anything to the mix that can't be done manually.

Can you please explain in more detail why not (if this is too off-topic you can PM or e-mail me)

Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Simple, the PM_Users table only has a number to identify which pm's are which pm's; there is no content to identify which is a "welcome". You could take the id from the other tables, but if you're doing a broad delete with an sql statement, i highly doubt in your ability to log every private topic id to be able to purge them from the database.

The php script opens the private topic table, grabs the id, and purges that id in all 3 tables at once, then continues; all done on its own, and messages purged from all 3 tables.

Simply put, you can't search "welcome" in the _users table as all it contains is numbers.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
isn't that what a JOIN command is for

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Keep in mind that most people who come here don't even know what MySQL is, much less how to use it wink.

N
Nat Offline
stranger
stranger
N Offline
I actually thought the opposite. It seems like most people interested in admin'ing ubb.threads would know about MySQL.

And yea, a JOIN could certainly get this done.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
you haven't met some of the larger site owners here then wink

journeyman
journeyman
2 Offline
Like me. grin

I just upgraded and found that every single PM the site has ever generated are back. Purged PMs, weren't. Everybody's mailbox is full, full, full.

Any way to delete everything before a certain date, or let's not be picky, by ANY orderly means en masse???

Rick

Rick
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, theres a reason they're "back"; they never where gone...

Keep in mind that there are 2 parties in a PM, not just one. So when one person deletes, it's still there for the other user, until they delete the message as well.

There where two differant ways to go about pm importing:
A. Don't import them, gone forever.
B. Import all pm's and assign them to the users who had posted in them.

Seeing as most users use pm's, we all harassed rick till he went with B :x...

And you could purge pm's by using the datestamp and a unix epoch date...

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
hmm.. I hope Rick can fix it..

http://www.you-switch.org - Youswitch provides advice on switching utility bills.
http://www.broardband.net - broadband advice
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
the only real "fix" would be to not import PM's... Theres not much of a grey area, as in there isn't really a way to check if they exist for both or one user with the import scripts.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not sure and have not looked, but don't ALL messages regardless of type or area contain a unique id ? If not perhaps it would be a good idea to implement a unique ID for all messages that way in the future it could be used for multiple purposes of tracking or other uses.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
All messages do have a unique id; it'd be their index id in the database

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well then perhaps I'm off base but if he's trying to keep out duplicates can't some type of query be written to ignore duplicates based on the unique id ?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
just becuse it's the same content in the message doesn't mean it's the same message; a new message is created when a user signs up, it's not the same message at all, so each message would have it's own id

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
True, I get ya

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you for the script Gizmo.
I am one of the large site owners that does not have a clue about MySQL that welcomes anything that can make my look like if I did :-)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You're quite welcome; you may also be interested in my ubb sitemap script over @ UBBDev if you just moved over from another product, it'll help search engines to get your new urls in their discovery database all at once

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Keep in mind that there are 2 parties in a PM, not just one. So when one person deletes, it's still there for the other user, until they delete the message as well.

Am I missing something? But how do you delete a PM. I know how to do it using MySQL, but having difficulty doing it through UBBthreads FORUM.

And I am talking here about deleting one post (reply) within a PRIVATE MESSAGE, not the entire PRIVATE TOPIC.

For instance, you have PERSON 1 creating TOPIC in PM and sending a PM to a PERSON 2. How PERSON 2 does delete his own message (reply) without removing himself from the topic.

There is no problem to edit your own PM post, but how do you delete it completely. Please note again, I am not talking about how to delete entire PRIVATE TOPIC.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
AFAIK there is no way to delete a POST from a Private Topic...

old hand
old hand
Somewhat related...I think there should be admin rights in private topics, allowing you to edit/delete.

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...ator_Rights_in_Group_PMs.html#Post198860

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
AFAIK there is no way to delete a POST from a Private Topic...

That is what I taught, however I had in one private topic two posts (original post and one reply). After a day there is only an original post. It is interesting that REPLIES COUNTERS is still displaying 1 but there is no reply. Any taught on how it might happen?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nat
I actually thought the opposite. It seems like most people interested in admin'ing ubb.threads would know about MySQL.

And yea, a JOIN could certainly get this done.

Some of are not experts, but are very interested in learning. Everyone starts somewhere in their knowledge of PhP/MySQL. One of the first things I did when I migrated from classic to Threads was to purchase a Php/MySQL book. I suspect there are probably a mix of folks and a wide range of expertise and experience. I always like to learn, whihc is one of the main reasons I lurk here a lot.

S
S Offline
HUGE help - thanks! Just dumped 10,928 messages. Aaahhh...

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Thank you Gizmo for the script.Seeing all those messages can be overwhelming when you have no idea how to get rid of them.

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
I was curious to know about the set up of forum script &
how & what could be enabled.

I kind of now know the answer to that now - cheers folks.

Mark smile

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
My gosh, I deleted all of mine one by one. I coulda used that script, lol.

"You know, I get the feeling women are sort of hard to please." -Mark Driver
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Had a similar problem as well. Thanks on the info!

K
stranger
stranger
K Offline

Excellent is the only word i can give u for this wonderful post, keep it up. I will come back again to read some more interesting things on this topic

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Thank you

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
All the posts above I read, all are excellent. I had a similar problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29