Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Special Note: The importers to the new product (UBB.Threads7) requires that you run the latest build of your originating product (in this case, UBB.Classic 6.7.x).

The Import
The proper upgrade route is as follows:
1. Download UBB.Threads 7.x (full install file) AND the UBB.Classic 6.7.x importer and extract them to your hard disk.
2. Install UBB.Threads 7.x in a NEW directory (UBB.Threads7 is a completely different product than UBB.Classic 6.7, thus, it is not a simple "update new files and run through the control panel" upgrade).
3. Go through the new install procedure (yourforums.tld/forums/install/install.php) until you reach the "create admin user" screen then click on the "create tables" link (do NOT click on the "create admin user" link).
4. Run the UBB.Classic 6.7 to UBB.Threads 7.0 importer.
5. Import Complete.

Re-Using your old location
As UBB.Classic is a perl script, and UBB.Threads is a PHP script, you cannot run UBB.Threads from the CGI-bin (on most hosts anyway). You can however run it from the "Non-CGI" directory, which will be covered below.

If you want to re-use your old directory, simply delete (or rename) your old forum (Non-CGI) directory, and then rename the directory which houses UBB.Threads 7.x; any updates to paths will need to be made to the config.inc.php file in the UBB.Threads7 includes directory.

Redirecting to the new software
Now, if you want to redirect all requests from the old directory, do the following:
1. Open the redirector files which came with the importer and edit the line that points to your install directory and set the url accordingly.
2. Upload the files to your OLD install directory.

It should be perfectly safe to upload these files into your UBB.Threads7 install directory (if you opted to use the old install directory in section 2) as UBB.Threads7 does not use these file names.

Conclusion
Now any requests that go to your old forum location/files should be redirected to your UBB7 install.

Links
UBBCentral Install Documentation
UBBCentral Documentation

NOTE
Please be sure to delete the install/ directory from your forum directory after your installation as you don't need other people trying to run it as a fresh install. You should do this after any fresh install or upgrade.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
For reference, here is the complete Install Manual found in the Documentation section. See also any readme files included within the Threads' .zip files.

In addition, after installation, you should "delete the install/ directory from the server [or at least delete the files within it]. Leaving those files on the server could cause problems at a later time."

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Added a note here as well about the install directory.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
also added the links you provided

D
D Offline
Assuming I put the new version in a different directory than the old version, can I install the new version and leave the old version up and running - take a couple of days to play with the style to try and get the look that I want - and then import the posts and members from the old version?

UBB user since 1998
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, thats what most of us did wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

My old forum has remained up -- in read-only mode -- since I switched to Threads in October... wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've had the redirectors in place since private beta1 of UBB7.0; i recently just set them to a permanent redirect vs temp

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
The redirectors only work for classic I believe - on a couple of threads imports that I have seen they do not work frown

D
D Offline
Thanks a lot guys - It sets my mind at ease smile

I guess I will finally make the move in the near future.

UBB user since 1998
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
The redirectors only work for classic I believe - on a couple of threads imports that I have seen they do not work frown
I believe that only classic uses the import map; which you can obviously tell where most of the alpha testers where from

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Threads uses the import map as well. I've done a bunch of threads upgrades and have put the redirectors on all of them and they are working as intended.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Odd, because i've heard a lot of people say that after importing from threads that nothing redirects except to the forum index...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
didn't work on mine frown

P
P Offline
Does anyone know where the "upgrade" release ZIP for UBB Classic is? The Members Area only holds the full installation rather than the upgrade.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
As I recall, the only difference between the upgrade zip and the full zip is that the full zip contains the config files (blank). We left them out of the "upgrade" zip so that people didn't accidentally overwrite their config files.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J Offline
Also, the Collectors edition has pictures of Nav before and after his infamous haircut.

--
Website Development and Management
www.jcswebdev.com
Originally Posted by J.C.
Also, the Collectors edition has pictures of Nav before and after his infamous haircut.
HUH???
Must be a old story or joke.
I don't get it.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It is. I used to have long long hair and a beard. Much ado was made in UBB land when I finally got my hair cut and shaved off my beard.

If you look in the code for version 6 UBB you'll find a comment that Ted put in the code.
#Some day Dave will get his hair cut

I seem to remember that Ted's comment actually was in the code a little while before I saw it. I was working on UBB 5 while Ted was writing 6. I didn't spend as much time in the code for UBB 6 during the beta cycles as I wanted to, and he was able to slip that by me for a while. frown

A couple of years later Charles followed with another comment in the code notating the exact date that the hair cut occurred.

We've really strayed off topic here....

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
On topic in a helpful manner; the only difference in upgrade and full for classic was the config files; which would be the vars_ files which I believe are blank in the zip.

P
P Offline
Thanks for that; I assume that I would have to carry out the following plan of action?
  • Copy the files on top of the existing installation - with the exception of the vars_* files
  • Run some script ("cgi-bin/ubb_upgrade.cgi"?) to update it to 6.7.2

Would this upgrade a 6.2 or 6.3 board or do I need an intermediate upgrade?

Last edited by Pak Chan; 12/19/2008 7:29 AM.
Originally Posted by Pak Chan
Does anyone know where the "upgrade" release ZIP for UBB Classic is? The Members Area only holds the full installation rather than the upgrade.
If you would have looked in the classic forums you would have found this.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/support/install.php?product=UBB.classic .
This should answer your question.
Download the most current version in the members area.
Since classic is not supported anymore there would not be a special upgrade zip. Just exclude the files stated in the document.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
P
P Offline
Thanks for enlightening me, Rubens. I guess I should have looked in the Classic category first! blush

Note to Groupee: Might be helpful to change the read me note in the UBB Classic ZIP file to state that the upgrade is the same as the full version minus the vars_* files, rather than tell them to download the "upgrade" ZIP...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29