Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171590 12/29/2006 8:08 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I was toolin around with the shout box and the layout of it to make it fit more to my liking... maybe make a more "chat room" like feeling to it and place it at the top of the forums -OR- create a new page with just the shout box to make it even more like a chat room.

I was looking at the java script and thought that adding some text formatting like color, bold face and a smilies button would put it over the top! I played with it but I could only get the "controls" appear but they would not apply to the text input. Does anyone know how to take the text formatting and smilies and apply it to the shout box? I know it can be done but I am not a coding whiz... just a humble diesel mechanic that knows a little HTML and PHP. smile Can anyone hook me up?

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Would love to help but think I'm in the same boat as you, just too new at this software. There is a development board though that does a bunch of hacks to the software.

I'm sure one of these guys can help you out when they have time.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Personally, I'd like to see what's running the shoutbox turned into an integrated chat page complete with chat logs.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could be interesting to say the least; for those of you who want a full chat addon to UBB.T7, there are two seperate options at UBBDev; one which utilizes IRC as the backend service (you can set any server you wish) and another which uses one of raidersoft's services (I'm pretty sure i just butchered their company name)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I was using the free Raidersoft (you had it right this time) chat integration.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is Raidersoft an IRC ? Most of the hosting sites have a pet peeve about letting you run IRC.

Hopefully though I'll be needing something if all goes well with the new site.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Most of my users use our IRC chat through actual IRC clients, so i figured building the integration file for IRC at UBBDev was the only real answer to cater to it... But after I did that I decided I wanted a full IRC page that includes help information, so i did my big section at my site lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Raidersoft isn't an IRC. They remotely host the chat window for you. All you have to do is sign up for a free account and then paste some HTML into your chat page.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks Harold. I'm sure I'll be checking into this stuff more and more as I build my new site.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Harold
Raidersoft isn't an IRC. They remotely host the chat window for you. All you have to do is sign up for a free account and then paste some HTML into your chat page.
I know that, I was referring to the OTHER chat modification at ubbdev, the one I did wink...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, IRC is one of the oldest chat protocols around, and i consider that one of the best reasons to invest my time into using it for my communities wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Over @ UBBdev someone, maybe it was you, mentioned FlashChat which I checked out and like because it is a stand alone application on MY server AND it has an attractive, easy to use interface. As mentioned though, there is currently no integration option for UBB Threads-7 but there is for Threads 6.*. You can still use it and integrate it as far as using templates but you cant use the same UBB Threads-7 member database for log on purposes...yet. I am going to ask them to make this happen. Lets see if they respond.

I still like the idea of fluffing up the Shout Box into a chat module though. It would already be integrated into UBB Threads and stupid simple to use. Most of us really don't need anything too elaborate like multiple rooms or private rooms.

Webmaster by night! cool
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I just checked out FlashChat and think it'd be perfect for me as well. Not only is it just $5 ( cool ) but it's Flash-based which will work for anyone. Many of my users could never get the Java IRC chat working. I saw your post on their forums - I really hope someone comes up w/ an integration for 7.x!

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I could look at it, but I just absolutely am against paying for some scripts when the same functionality is available for me free elsewhere lol...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jgeoff
I just checked out FlashChat and think it'd be perfect for me as well. Not only is it just $5 ( cool ) but it's Flash-based which will work for anyone. Many of my users could never get the Java IRC chat working. I saw your post on their forums - I really hope someone comes up w/ an integration for 7.x!

Yeah, I hope so too but I am not going to bang my head trying to get them to get it done but it really is a nice set up. I think I am going to create a template to match my forums and stick it in my forums menu. I want to see if my community really wants or needs chat functionality but it is worth trying. One of my members had suggested it so hey, for 5 bucks it's a no brainier! The integration would be the icing on the cake but don't get me wrong, I would still like to see the shout box evolve.

Webmaster by night! cool
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I always used jpilot, which I found nice smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
I always used jpilot, which I found nice smile
jpilot is not free, in fact isn't it like $50? pJIRC is a good freeware alternative, not to mention has had more features for the longest time; in fact, most of jpilots current featureset was just cloned from pjirc

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I always got confused over JIRC - never did understand how to either host it properly or get a reliable server where it was already set-up....

Would like to get something back online with 7.1 smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
jirc is jsut a javascript capable of chating on any irc server (as is the pjirc); i host my own irc server (irc.undergroundnews.com) so it was of no issue to find stability there.

There are however thousands of servers, www.searchirc.com is a great resource in finding a server or network.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I emailed the guy that wrote FlashChat and asked him if he could put together an integration for threads 7. We shall see, I haven't heard back from him...

Webmaster by night! cool
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Someone buy me a copy, I'll figure something out lol

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

It's only $5 LOL

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's only $5 LOL
google and use the define option on the term "low income household"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It might find a lot of our addresses

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
google and use the define option on the term "low income household"

I hear ya, after my recent purchase! lol

(Friggin' "Ships in 24 Hours" apparently means "in a few days or a week or so" now :/ )

When I buy it, I'll get you one wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hehe wink...

Newegg is really good with shipping, and it's not like assembly is hard (read the motherboard manual, it'll tel you how to hookup wires to the case); if i had $ I'd so buy a desktop, haven't had one in ages...

The one i was building ended up going to my wife, if i build another it'll likely be dual/quad core, so i'm really anticipating the processor wars this year...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Easier than falling off a log now days jgeoff. A decade or more ago it was quite a bit more difficult to put one together. Often there was no manual or a 1 or 2 page manual that was in heavy broken English. Now days most are full fledged manuals and auto switch everything. Plug in the parts and fire it up.

@Gizmo
Yes, love Newegg - I use it quite often for work purchases. Sometimes stuff arrives the next morning. Have bought a few thousand dollars worth of stuff last year and no problems with any of the merchandise. Unlike Frys that repackages and sells the used stuff as though it was new mad

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, i've found the same issue at frys here in OR... In fact, i've also found repackaged merchendise with little more than a brick in the box...

Newegg however, i've never had an issue... I love them hehe... Amazon is good too for some things, the used and new is great.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

A friend and I built a top-notch system from scratch about 5 years ago for about $1000 -- I bought all the parts at various places (including newegg) and I'm still using it right now. wink But I was looking for something quick and easy, and Tiger said "Ships in 24 Hours" (but it's been 48+ hours now frown ) I usually love Tiger's speed and prices, but I guess their Systemax division isn't so quick. :/

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Cool, 2 licenses were only $9 cool

Giz, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. We'll both play with it and try to come up with something, I hope.

PS: Okay, I really wish I was more familiar w/ Threads 6.5 -- UBBcms.php looks like it needs to be updated with the new 7.x variables, but I'm having trouble w/ that. Give it a go, Giz (once I send it to you). I'm sure Rick could do it in 5 mins. wink

Last edited by jgeoff; 01/04/2007 5:04 PM. Reason: P.S.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol, i'll get it sent in a min wink.

BTW, I've always had issues with tiger's shipping; and I do mean always... Over the last several years when i order something, i expect it to be a month or so before i even see things...

And it's not just over holidays, I order DVDRW's from them (50 spindles for $10, usually buy 5 or so) and it usually takes 3 weeks or so to get anything (I always have stock on hand, so i can do the wait).

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Weird. I've only used them a few times but never had a shipping problem. But guess what? After (apparently) my complaint they changed the "24 Hours" to "7-10 Days" :/

PS - I just sent FlashChat to ya

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol they can be like that... I threatened them once with false advertising on their shipping times, never got a response lol

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol, seems like i have mail; and something to do during nap time wink

old hand
old hand
Wondering if it's possible to grab the code for the shout box (or anything in the right or left columns for that matter) and put it below the forum.

I really love the width of my UBB Classic board, with nothing on the right or left sides of the forum.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's possible to put some of the stuff below the forums. I've done this on my personal site to show that it can be done. The shoutbox however is a bit of a different beast and can't really be moved, in fact I may have to end up pulling the option for external use on it.

I do have it on my list to do some sort of a chatroom feature in an upcoming version as it would be somewhat based on the shoutbox code.

old hand
old hand
Nice Rick.

I noticed on this board, as well as yours that you linked to, the board width is set. However with my Classic board, the width adjusts depending on the size of the broswer window.

What options do we have for controlling width of the Threads board? Can it self-adjust like the Classic board?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You can set a specific width in pixels or as a percentage, which is probably what is used in your classic board.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yup, in .C we could specify width based on pixels or percentage (IIRC)

enthusiast
enthusiast

Cool, 2 licenses were only $9 cool

Giz, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. We'll both play with it and try to come up with something, I hope.

PS: Okay, I really wish I was more familiar w/ Threads 6.5 -- UBBcms.php looks like it needs to be updated with the new 7.x variables, but I'm having trouble w/ that. Give it a go, Giz (once I send it to you). I'm sure Rick could do it in 5 mins. wink

Hmmm, I was hoping to get the FlashChat developer to do this work. Now I feel like I owe someone. blush

Webmaster by night! cool
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nightcrawler, Outdoorking, 1 invisible), 818 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29