Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#172493 01/05/2007 7:55 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

My turn for a question laugh

I don't like how people can change the Subject of a thread when replying to it. Maybe it's my Classic upbringing, but to me it causes confusion when a thread is named one thing in postlist and another in the cfrm "latest post".

Obviously I could comment-out the Subject field for replies; however, I still would like the subject visible. How can I display the subject in plain text in place of the edit box?

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I too dislike users being able to edit the subject... I'd like to see an option to not allow users to change the topic in a reply, kind of like how the Quick Reply box works...

I'm pretty sure you can edit it out by:
Find in newreply.tpl:
Code
<input type="text" name="Subject" maxlength="{$config.SUBJECT_LENGTH}" class="form-input" size="60" tabindex="1" value="{$Subject}" />

Replace With:
Code
<input type="hidden" name="Subject" maxlength="{$config.SUBJECT_LENGTH}" class="form-input" size="60" tabindex="1" value="{$Subject}" />{$Subject}

This would use the subject of the parent they're responding to, and show the subject in the new reply as a non editable html entry.

Completely untested though...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I was just looking at that line wink

Was thinking perhaps I could just comment-out that whole line and just use {$Subject}, but your way is better if the form needs that variable passed through it.

I'll give it a shot when I get a chance... thanks.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
LOL - The file was already open, so I just made the change. Works great! I bolded the subject, tho - looks good. <B>{$Subject}</B>cool

PS - I really need to keep track of my modifications. I gotta redo them all for 7.1 blush

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I was just going to purge the line, but then you'd end up with absolutely no topic on each post (as it woudln't be submitted with the form).

Glad to hear it worked... this is why I love the templating engine, it makes doing some updates very painless smile

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well maybe have the option but we do allow a change. Maybe make it more work for them to change it so that they don't just do it for the heck of it, but realize they are going out of their way to do it which might slow down some changes, but not all.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Well maybe have the option but we do allow a change. Maybe make it more work for them to change it so that they don't just do it for the heck of it, but realize they are going out of their way to do it which might slow down some changes, but not all.
what? lol

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just saying I don't want to 100% stop a user from changing the title (what if they initially got it wrong)

I can see where some boards might not like users changing it but for us some change it just not even thinking about it, others change it to a more appropriate title which is okay by us, however I would like to make it more effort so that the casual users isn't changing it just because they are being a bone head.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Nononono, see, this makes it so REPLIES to a thread cannot change the title; if the user wants to change their title they can edit their initial post...

Which brings up another point, the edit post page still has a subject box :x...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
editpost.tpl:
Find
Code
<input type="text" name="Subject" value="{$Subject}" maxlength="{$config.SUBJECT_LENGTH}" class="form-input" size="60" />

Replace With
Code
<input type="text" name="Subject" value="{$Subject}" maxlength="{$config.SUBJECT_LENGTH}" class="form-input" size="60" />{$Subject}

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, I understand the difference and I still say WE/OUR BOARD do allow and at times encourage a title change.

For YOU and your board and/or many other boards maybe not, but as with other options that were removed from previous versions, I for one vote not to remove it. Modify it, alter it okay, but not remove it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
so, then don't edit it out lol

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not, but this is a request I thought for Rick to change the behavior, not just a "hack" of the software.

You guys are going to force me to learn more PHP wink

Spent this afternoon setting up a customized web application with shopping cart all written in-house with ASP. I don't know ASP at all but figured out it was calling a couple databases that were not there and some accounts that did not exist. Took a while, but got it running again. The guy that programmed it is out on vacation and the owner was chomping at the bit to get it going again after it was moved from one server to another last week.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think jgeoff wants it in, on some level, but I think the template hack should be enough for most...

If Rick did add this ability I'm sure he'd add in a switch so that admin's could choose to allow it or not.

K
K Offline
MIND...

there is a problem with this: if the subject is all caps or contains language you want to edit out, you will NO LONGER be able to edit the title, EVEN as an admin or a mod!

Anyone who can correct the code to allow mods and admins to still change the title?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Good point, Kayjey!

I suppose the above would be considered a quick fix, and let's hope this is built in with admin/mod override! cool

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
K
K Offline
Yups - it's actually the one thing I keep changing after I switched over from .classic... a few years ago.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29