Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OK, I'm a fairly "old hat" with Threads going back to the WWWThreads days, but this current installation that I am attempting right now is driving me batty.

My current site has outgrown my homegrown hosting (Win2k3/IIS6/PHP4.4.4/MySQL???)and I have finally broken down and am moving to a hosted solution on a VPS. The VPS is Linux, Apache 1.3.37, PHP5.2.0 and MySQL 5.0.27. I'm trying to get Threads 6.5.5 up and running on it so I can migrate my site over and I can't even get the Install.php to do anything but give me a white screen.

Going to 7.x isn't an option currently for a couple of reasons (one is as silly as I won't move until I can replicate my current stylesheet exactly as my users are somewhat particular about how things look).

I had kludged together a copy of things (kinda/sorta/not really) on there and had it somewhat working, but I found myself with scripts that wouldn't fully log me in as well as they weren't returning anything from their sql queries among other oddities.

Will Threads 6.5.5 exist in this environment at all or are my only options either downgrading the environment or upgrading to Threads 7.x?

Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Threads6 should work fine with php4 and mysql4-5

You should make sure that the paths set in config.inc.php and main.inc.php are correct on the new server.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Well, the new server is PHP5.2.0 and MySQL 5.0.27... should that still work?

I can downgrade PHP easy enough, but downgrading MySQL would be a whole new adventure.

As for the paths... I'm just trying to do a clean setup right now to make sure table names are created correctly (another part of the adventure is that under Windows on my original machine, all existing tables were created in all lowercase... that is not playing well with the scripts on the new Linux box with Linux being case-sensitive with table names (Windows isn't)). With a clean /public_html/ with just the 6.5.5 files in there, I get a white screen from install.php.

I shouldn't have to specify paths in config.inc and ubbt.inc before I do the install should I? I don't recall doing that in the past, but then again it's been quite a while since I've had to do it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm running PHP5.1.6 and MySQL 5.0.22 on my live server, and the UBB runs without issue. I also run similar versions on my dev server (PHP 5.0.4 MySQL 5.0.22; guess i should upgrade php huh lol).

If you are restoring a backup, you shouldn't run install.php, or upgrade.php for that matter; simply move files over, chmod them, then upload your database, then update paths...

If you're restoring an install you don't run install.php or upgrade.php, these are only for new installs. If it's a current install you should jut have to update paths in the configuration files.

You could also try hiring a developer (ie one of the moderators here or at ubbdev) to do a migration.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm running PHP5.1.6 and MySQL 5.0.22 on my live server, and the UBB runs without issue. I

What version of UBB though Gizmo? I know for fact that when I had PHP 5.20 installed I could not get my old UBBT 6.5.1 to run I would get nothing like he is getting. When I dropped back the PHP to 4.4 it ran fine. I was able to run MySQL 5.027 with the old one no problem, but not the PHP. Once I updated to 7.01 I was then able to update my PHP to 5.20

That was my experience though.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't think UBB.Threads 6.5 will run on PHP5, at least the early release, I believe one of the "incremental" releases did some sort of compat issues; I have it running well enough to do my styles, but haven't done any real testing with it.

I do have UBB7 running on PHP5 without any issues though.

well, it seems it was more PEBKAC than anything (as I'm sure you probably already guessed, lol).

The biggest problem I had was that on the original server, under Windows, table names were created all lowercase (not sure if that is a setting in MySQL somewhere or what, but it's how it behaves on my machine.... if I create `w3t_ThisTable`, it is created as `w3t_thistable`).
With the Threads scripts using the 'Hungarian formatting' of uppercasing the first letters of words.... that was fine under Windows which is case-insensitive, but it hosed me when moving to the new server which is Linux, and thus case-sensitive.

I did a clean install of Threads on the new server to get the correctly cased table names, then I had to edit all the export sql from the original server to correct the table names, but since doing that I was able to just tweak the Threads .includes paths and just upload the whole works as-is. A couple of small tweaks and everything is fine... Threads 6.5.5 with PHP 5.2.0 and MySQL 5.0.27 [Linked Image from dawgtalkers.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Glad to hear you got it sorted out smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 866 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29