Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
K Offline
It seems that *all* links in UBB.threads are set to open in new windows. I personally find this undesirable because it is like the site is trying to control what I do with my browser; generally if I want to keep browsing the same page and open a new link in a separate window I will explicitly do so: I don't want the reverse behaviour.

This is especially annoying in the case of links within the same forum. It's not a case of a site operator trying to stop me leave his or her site (which I don't like in any case); it's worse: even if I try to go from one page on the site to another on the same site then UBB.threads tries to force me to open another window. So browsing a UBB.threads forum requires me to open up a string of windows and close them one by one, or use a browser like Firefox which allows me to force links to open where I want them; but even that work around is not desirable because it requires me to access a contextual menu in order to override the undesired behaviour when I would rather just do a single-click.

So my feature request is that this behaviour be made optional/controllable in the control panel. I think that a minimum there should be a choice between two options:

1. Links should open in new windows.
2. Links should open in the same window.

If you want to make the feature more powerful you could add a third option:

3. Only links to items outside the forums open in new windows.

And in the spirit of customization, you could add:

4. Allow users to set a preference for how links should be opened.

But for me "1" and "2" are the most important. I want to feel that my forums are my friend, not my enemy.

K
K Offline
Example:

7.0.1 release announcement:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=167333

Has a link to the release notes:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=167332

The release notes open in a new window. Really not what I am looking for.

Seems the only exception to the "new window" rule is that when I type the text "UBB.threads" into the browser, your forums are automatically turning it into a link (using the "Censor" feature in the control panel?) and that link doesn't open in a new window.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R Offline
Originally Posted by kieyeoci
Seems the only exception to the "new window" rule is that when I type the text "UBB.threads" into the browser, your forums are automatically turning it into a link (using the "Censor" feature in the control panel?) and that link doesn't open in a new window.

That is actually the Active Text feature (CP > Feature Settings, Active Text tab)

TBH, the behavior of links inside posts is consistent with both the v6 Classic and Threads behavior. I personally think it is fine.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I agree that the behavioris both expected and how things have worked in both products for some time... I understand that you don't like that links to your own site in posts are set to a new target location; but I believe at this point its either they all do or none do...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
K Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I agree that the behavioris both expected and how things have worked in both products for some time...
Just because it has worked this way for a long time in UBB.threads, and Classic before that, I don't think that's a good reason to hardwire the behaviour for all eternity. User choice is a good thing. I think administrators should be able to turn off this "open in new window" behaviour.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
but I believe at this point its either they all do or none do...
No, the point is that they all do and you have absolutely no choice about it; that's what the problem is. If UBB.threads offerred a choice, "open all links in new windows", or "open all links in same window", then that would be fantastic.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Personally, I like that links open in new windows (well, tabs in Firefox wink ), even in your own forum -- that way you don't lose the spot where you've come from. But of course, options are always good. wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Addict
Addict
If it's possible to make it a CP option then why not, though like jgeoff I too prefer that links open up in new windows (or tabs in FF smile ).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All modern browsers now allow right click open in new TAB

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by ntdoc
All modern browsers now allow right click open in new TAB

Even better is just clicking the scroll wheel button cool

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can but mine is too stiff so a pain to use

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Feels too awkward to click the scroll wheel lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We could probably squeeze this in as a control panel option at some point.

K
K Offline
I think it's all about choice.

The way UBB.threads currently works, it gives me the following choices (as a forum user):

1. Click on the link and have it automatically open in a new window.
2. Force the link to open in a new tab.

What it doesn't allow me to choose, however, is a third option:

3. Open link in same window, same tab.

What I'm basically requesting here is that forum admins be given a choice of a minimum of two options:

1. Keep the current behaviour.
2. Turn off the current behaviour.

That way everyone should be happy. Admins who want to keep things the way they are can do so. But those (like me) who want to offer their users more choice can turn off the open-in-new window behaviour.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29