Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
K Offline
1)
Get rid of the 'no icon' option when doing a post (I actually only want one single icon to be available and a consistent, clean look everywhere)

2)
New posts have a highlighted folder icon. I also want to make the subject bold for posts that are new or have new replies. Preferably by using a style

3)
And actualy, I don't like the way the alternating classes in the post list works. It used to alternate vertically (one table row with dark background, next with light background and so on), but now that changed to horizontally (the table columns alternating).

4)
Have the last poster for each topic listed on the Active Topics table.

Anybody of any help? I have been able to edit 1) in the previous Forum version, but I'm a bit lost now with the new version...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Kayjey
1)
Get rid of the 'no icon' option when doing a post (I actually only want one single icon to be available and a consistent, clean look everywhere)
UBB.Classic had just this, and is a feature I miss.

4)
Have the last poster for each topic listed on the Active Topics table.
I too would like "Active Topics" more updated to "Active Posts" so one can see the latest post time/user vs the original post time/author

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
3)
And actualy, I don't like the way the alternating classes in the post list works. It used to alternate vertically (one table row with dark background, next with light background and so on), but now that changed to horizontally (the table columns alternating).

Agree - I believe Rick said that this would return - maybe 7.2 not sure.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
#3 takes some getting used to, but it can be rather nice wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
K Offline
How can it be rather nice? Educate me... wink

I kind of prefer the table columns alternating like they do now.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
How can they be nice? They look pretty, thats how they can be nice lol... Sure, alternating row colors help with looking left to right, but if you have more than 20-30 rows you really need to worry more about your search engine rankings than row coloring wink...

One thing to keep in mind though is that just because you don't like one behavior, doesn't mean someone else wants to loose that behavior...

For example, I really enjoyed the row highlighting for new posts that threads had, but can understand why it hasn't been added back yet, but I definitely would not like this feature on my forum (as color matching for yet another set of rows doesn't really do well for conformity and just adds too much additional colors to deal with; in my opinion) but I can see how others like this behavior (it's a neat feature) but I for one wouldn't be interested whereas I know Ian and several others would love it.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
The problem is that members get used to a method for detecting new and unread posts - take that away and they feel lost.

Of course it is important to have a good colour scheme to highlight whatever method you choose as an admin.

K
K Offline
I agree on those last two comments. Which is why I'd prefer the 'possibility' to have new post highlighting. With just a lightbulb in front of the subject, you need to first spot that highlight and then read what's next to it (at least, with another 'post icon' in between which I'd equally want to lose). Formerly, we could have the highlighting all worked into the subject itself, so it's really in-your-face if you want to.

But actually - don't we just LOVE the way UBB is so customisable? It's great! Now then... can we just add that little feature? wink

K
K Offline
Oh - and I found it more usefull to actually have rows highlighted. Why have columns highlighted? It doesn't really add anything but 'alteration' - it would be logical to 'group' the post info with row highlighting. I see no actual function for the alternating colors in columns - I'm really not used to Rick deciding on visual fizz rather than functionality.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The main reason this was changed was at some point in time it was requested that it be easier to style the individual columns. It was requested enough to get on my TODO list for 7.0. Now at some point I could probably add a second set of classes to the "Forum Summary Properties" section for those that want to alternate the colors. That way the individual colums can still be styled differently, but the rows can alternate for those that want it.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

We've always been able to assign different colors to columns, in .Classic as well. Visually, it's the best way to present a long list of data clearly.

At the same time, I DO agree that putting unread threads in bold would be a good idea, and probably the easiest way to implement it as opposed to highlighting the rows.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well, what we'll do is just add a class for the entire row when a post is new. So, if you want it bold, then you'd just add a bold font-weight to the class. If you want to highlight it then you can add some background color as well wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Sweet cool

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Very nice

K
K Offline
Wooooohooow!!!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Decent compromise wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 721 guests, and 156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29