I Offline
I have just disabled that.

Looks like that will have to go....

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
To be fair that wasn't always set to 2 minutes - I think I fiddled with some of the cache settings earlier today in a vain hope of reducing load - that should have been much much higher.....

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, if it's only set to run every once in awhile then it probably wouldn't be too bad. Since we're trying to get to the bottom of the server load, I'd definitely keep it disabled in the meantime or just revert back to the standard one.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol, run once a day :nod: :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm not exactly sure why anything else is having issues while you're doing this right now. The server itself is running fine, queries against other databases are working normally. All the ports are responding normally, load average is minimal. As long as things aren't hitting the threads database then there shouldn't be any other issues.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
wish that was true....

have webmail, qmail and a clients site all down since I started this...

Midnight here now and I have to drive north in the morning frown

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm leaving the house, else i'd offer to do some maintenance for the golden dollar wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
don't worry - going to reboot - websites more important - will run a repair later on...

my patience has run out..... Getting too tired....

Thanks for all your efforts guys - it has been appreciated.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
now the sodding backup has started.... argghhh!!!!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I was just going to note, that looking at your logs, qmail seems to be running fine, you can watch the mail being processed in the messages log.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
it isn't being sent to users though - it is just building up a backlog...

# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat
messages in queue: 2777
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 1

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Strange, looking at the messages log shows it being sent to individual users Maildir. Not much experience with qmail however.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
don't worry smile

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I am off for a kip - if anyone sees the process has finished - feel free to open the forums LOL

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
how can this STILL be running.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
This has taken over 9 hours so far - we still have no mail going to clients - There must be a way to abort this - as we could still be going this time tomorrow at this rate.

I cannot give it any more than another 3 hours - it is 05:14 now - I have to have the server running properly by 8:30am - if that means destroying the forums then so be it.

I have had enough of life, the universe and everything....

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
This has gone from bad to worse - I am also getting a blank screen on another small forum running on the server. That is also 'Waiting for table'

Please can someone assist.....

Essentially all MySQL has ground to a halt

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Is it stuck in the same state when you view the processlist? I've no idea why it would take that long to run, the longest I've had was around 2 hours, but that was with a very large number of posts.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm still not sure why anything else is effected by this. I am able to connect directly to MySQL and do queries in any of the other databases.

Ah, wait a second. Just found why your other forum is hanging. It's currently running this:

OPTIMIZE TABLE fbb_sessions, fbb_cache, fbb_logs, fbb_search......

So, it's basically doing a Repair by sorting, the same type of repair that is done to rebuild the indexes. The queries on that forum are waiting for that to be finished, as of right now that database is locked as well, but unrelated to the threads locked database.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> FBB 'eh? I know what forum that is wink

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Well I didn't start that! And no-one else could have frown

Any idea as to how I can get the site back - or has it gone for good?

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Ok - had to abort the repair - had no choice frown

The /tmp folder was full - hence the reason why it stalled.

Not sure how I can get around this?

I suppose I out to optimize again?

What do you think?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Does FusionBB have some sort of auto optimizer? it looks like it does, so you may want to try to find a way to disable it...

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I guess so - but it is the massive size of the posts table that filled the tmp.

I do not know if I can increase it - but am investigating.

Otherwise will need to optimize outside of threads and run it through root.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Once again, I highly advise AGAINST doing any MySQL maintenance through scripts; including PHPMyAdmin, FusionBB, Threads, etc. Doing it through a script can tie up your webserver; do it through the command line, it'll go much MUCH faster, as it's done through MySQL directly.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
normal service is resumed...

Originally Posted by Rick
I found it...it's your custom top_posters.php script...and it's not very friendly. It looks like it's meant to show top posters within the last 30 days. It's running every 2 minutes and the query is very, very baaaadddd.

Got back to the control panel - and this was actually set to update every 60 minutes.

Cache time for Who's Online 30
Cache time for Top Posters 60
Cache time for Forum Stats 15
Cache time for Public Calendar 30

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
really need to optimize again - will need to find a different method though - one where I know what is going on.....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
really need to optimize again - will need to find a different method though - one where I know what is going on.....
the best method would be the fastest method, and that would be to do it from the MySQL command line via SSH; as no scripts from the webserver would execute the command, it would run much faster than if you where to run it through a script (as you're not using one system utility to access another, thus editing out the middle man).

This would be as easy as:
1. Login via SSH.
2. Login to MySQL with a user account who has access to the database you wish to edit (mysql -uuser -ppass)
3. Execute the command (replace db with your database that your tables are in): use db;
4. Execute the command (replace ubb7_ with your table prefix):
Code
OPTIMIZE TABLE `ubb7_ADDRESS_BOOK` , `ubb7_ADMIN_SEARCHES` , `ubb7_ANNOUNCEMENTS` , `ubb7_BANNED_EMAILS` , `ubb7_BANNED_HOSTS` , `ubb7_BANNED_USERS` , `ubb7_CACHE` , `ubb7_CACHED_PERMISSIONS` , `ubb7_CALENDAR_EVENTS` , `ubb7_CAPTCHA` , `ubb7_CATEGORIES` , `ubb7_CENSOR_LIST` , `ubb7_DISPLAY_NAMES` , `ubb7_fc_bans` , `ubb7_fc_config` , `ubb7_fc_config_chats` , `ubb7_fc_config_instances` , `ubb7_fc_config_values` , `ubb7_fc_connections` , `ubb7_fc_ignors` , `ubb7_fc_messages` , `ubb7_fc_rooms` , `ubb7_FILES` , `ubb7_FORUMS` , `ubb7_FORUM_LAST_VISIT` , `ubb7_FORUM_PERMISSIONS` , `ubb7_GRAEMLINS` , `ubb7_GROUPS` , `ubb7_IMPORT_MAP` , `ubb7_LANGUAGES` , `ubb7_MAILER` , `ubb7_MEMBER_SEARCHES` , `ubb7_MODERATORS` , `ubb7_MODERATOR_NOTIFICATIONS` , `ubb7_MODERATOR_PERMISSIONS` , `ubb7_ONLINE` , `ubb7_POINTER_DELETE` , `ubb7_POLL_DATA` , `ubb7_POLL_OPTIONS` , `ubb7_POLL_VOTES` , `ubb7_PORTAL_BOXES` , `ubb7_POSTS` , `ubb7_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_POSTS` , `ubb7_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS` , `ubb7_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_USERS` , `ubb7_RATINGS` , `ubb7_REGISTRATION_FIELDS` , `ubb7_RESERVED_NAMES` , `ubb7_RSS_FEEDS` , `ubb7_SAVED_QUERIES` , `ubb7_SEARCH_AGENTS` , `ubb7_SEARCH_RESULTS` , `ubb7_SHOUT_BOX` , `ubb7_STYLES` , `ubb7_TOPICS` , `ubb7_TOPIC_VIEWS` , `ubb7_USERS` , `ubb7_USER_DATA` , `ubb7_USER_GROUPS` , `ubb7_USER_NOTES` , `ubb7_USER_PROFILE` , `ubb7_USER_TITLES` , `ubb7_VERSION` , `ubb7_WATCH_LISTS`;

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Thanks smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

MySQL Newb question here, but, what does optimization do exactly, and is this something that needs to typically be done periodically?

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Still got issues frown

Now when I view any post I get

There was a problem looking up this post in our database.
Please use your back button to return to the previous page

Even on known good posts frown

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
real crude and fast description coming smile

As your MySQL database grows in size it, of course, grows in size. When you delete things from it though, it doesn't give up that space.

Better put, let's say you have 50k rows in a table. And you delete one right out of the middle. MySQL doesn't rewrite all the rows after that one to make better use of the space. That would take toooo long. So after a lot of use you end up with empty places all of the place.

Optimization dumps out all the data into a new table. The new table has no empty space. Once it verifies the new table it deleted the old and replaces it with the new table.

Think of it similar to defragmenting a hard drive. It's just more efficient.

There really is a lot more to it than than and you should read the docs at mysql.com for a better idea.

Do you need to do it often? Only if you do a lot of deletions.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ian, you did, I hope, make a backup before you started to reindex? Restore it to a temporary database and compare them. Remember that /tmp ran our of space (?!?) while it was running. Out of space might mean missing or corrupted data.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, David, I get it... cool

Poor Ian... frown Hope this works out!

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Thanks Dave.

It has been running fine all day. A few hundred posts were made.

The server appeared to crash about an hour ago.

I got corruption on a number of databases.

I asked my server admins to sort it.

They ran a fix - although this was not a full command that I recognise - it had --fast in it, and one other suffix.

After this the MySQL errors went away, but then I got this on very post.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
re-repaired - posts now linking...

Anyone know a decent server management company?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Quoting The Manual:
OPTIMIZE TABLE should be used if you have deleted a large part of a table or if you have made many changes to a table with variable-length rows (tables that have VARCHAR, VARBINARY, BLOB, or TEXT columns). Deleted rows are maintained in a linked list and subsequent INSERT operations reuse old row positions. You can use OPTIMIZE TABLE to reclaim the unused space and to defragment the data file.

and
In most setups, you need not run OPTIMIZE TABLE at all. Even if you do a lot of updates to variable-length rows, it is not likely that you need to do this more than once a week or month and only on certain tables.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
strewth - I make a minor change to my.cnf - restart mysql and ubbt_POSTS.MYI corrupts again frown

This table corrupts almost daily now frown

Why is the table so unstable?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm going to guess that the indexes are corrupting. Like I had mentioned earlier, MySQL suggests 4 characters as the minimum for the ft_min_word_length variable. They say 3 can be unstable. You said that you had to kill the process of it rebuilding the index, so I think you're full text index is out of whack currently.

The posts table is written to much less often than it was in previous versions as we store more things in the topics table instead, so my first guess would be the indexes corrupting and not the table itself.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Oh okay.

Mine is set to 3 now. Is it worth taking it back to 4?

I would rather have it on 3 - but I guess that id 4 is going to be more stable, then 4 it will have to be.

Then close the forums and rebuild the index as per Gizmo's directions above?

All I know is that the error is saying that the ubbt_POSTS.MYI is corrupted - it will usually only repair properly with mysql stopped. Often if I repair it with MySQL running, I then get an error 127 on the table.

I will schedule a closure later tonight.

Just hope the tmp table can take it - or if I run it through MySQL can it be run to use another area like /root?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 803 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29