Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
Hi,

I've got UBB.classic 6.3.1.1, and am having problems with the CPU maxing out for seconds at a time. The board currently has 2,998 registered users, and 336,642 posts on 14 forums. I'm not sure what is causing the server to run slowly, but I'm sure the cause is the UBB, since it's the perl executable that is using the CPU. (And the rest of the site uses ASP.) Am I overloading UBB.classic, and would switching to UBB.threads fix the problem? I've tried running the maintenance options on the board, and they usually fix the problem for a month or so, but it seems to be getting worse. Assuming the answer is yes, I have a few questions about the new version:

1) Is there a style/theme/etc that will keep the look of the bulletin board similar to the default UBB.classic 6.3.1.1 look I had before?
2) Will URL links to old posts still work, or if not, is there a way to patch this?
3) I have EMC Retrospect backup software that makes a copy of the changes to the inetpub directory daily; is there a simple way for it to backup the MySQL/etc data files?
4) How much would it cost to upgrade, including installation?
5) How do you remotely install the software? I'm running Win2K; Terminal Services client?
6) Does the new version support 'sticky posts'? (The only feature we're missing!)

Note that I do not currently have MySQL installed, and am running ActiveState ActivePerl v5.6.

I'm not posting my license key here for security purposes, but you can find it under my email address, which I used to register on this board with. (I do have my license key, if you'd like me to email it to you.) The bulletin board requires an invitation, so you can't view it now, but I'd be happy to email you a name & password if you need to see the board in action.

You can check out the website at www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com.

Thanks,

Shane

RnJpZW5kc2hpcCB3aXRoIHRoZSB3b3JsZCBpcyBob3N0aWxpdH
kgdG93YXJkcyBHb2QuICBKYW1lcyA0OjQ=
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Shane
I've got UBB.classic 6.3.1.1, and am having problems with the CPU maxing out for seconds at a time. The board currently has 2,998 registered users, and 336,642 posts on 14 forums.
FWIW - My Classic 6.7.2 had 4534 users, 15 forums, 335k posts on a shared server and didn't run into any problems.

would switching to UBB.threads fix the problem?

Threads 7 should be more server-friendly as it uses a database rather than flat files to store all the data. However, I'm not certain that is your problem. Are you on a shared server like I am?

1) Is there a style/theme/etc that will keep the look of the bulletin board similar to the default UBB.classic 6.3.1.1 look I had before?

Threads 7 uses a style system that helps you create any look you could possibly imagine for a forum.

2) Will URL links to old posts still work, or if not, is there a way to patch this?

After importing all your Classic data into Threads, you can then very easily install re-directors to redirect from the old posts to the new posts.

3) I have EMC Retrospect backup software that makes a copy of the changes to the inetpub directory daily; is there a simple way for it to backup the MySQL/etc data files?

Others would know better than I would, but it should be as simple as adding a cron job to backup your files and database.

4) How much would it cost to upgrade, including installation?

Rick would have to answer that, after gaining access to your forums. You will first have to upgrade to Classic 6.7.* before upgrading to Threads 7.*

5) How do you remotely install the software? I'm running Win2K; Terminal Services client?

Installation is simply a matter of FTP'ing the files, setting file permissions, then running a web-based install script.

6) Does the new version support 'sticky posts'? (The only feature we're missing!)

Yes, Sir. This feature was added in a later version of Classic actually.

Note that I do not currently have MySQL installed, and am running ActiveState ActivePerl v5.6.

I'm unfamiliar w/ that environment, but you will certainly need MySQL and PHP installed. You can look at the Documentation to see which minimal versions you'll need.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
journeyman
journeyman
It's a dedicated server, and there's nothing else on the server that uses perl or bogs the CPU. It's searches, usually, that bog down the server. I just now ran a test search; memory usage rose 130MB, and it took over 3 minutes to complete, with CPU usage at 100% for the duration. Normally the CPU will idle; spiking every few seconds to maybe 50%.

RnJpZW5kc2hpcCB3aXRoIHRoZSB3b3JsZCBpcyBob3N0aWxpdH
kgdG93YXJkcyBHb2QuICBKYW1lcyA0OjQ=
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd be willing to beleive that classic is the cu;prit, larger installs can be intensive on any server.

MySQL however will be a nessessity, you'll have to install it before running UBB.T.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Upgrading to ubb.classic 6.7.3 itself will help tremendously with the server load, Charles did a lot of work making classic much easier on the server during te 6.5-6.7 versions. If you are running a dedicated server it should be able to run classic for a while unless you have *lots* of posting/searching going on - even then the quick reply and some improvements in the search function in the 6.6+ versions will help there. Don't allow searching of all forums for one (hard on any largish forum, php/mysql or flat-file wink ).

Oh, install more recent versions of active state's perl too, many improvements in the code and the upgrade is a free one wink

Having said all that, threads is where you'll need to move at some point, tho you can extend the life of your current setup if you'll just upgrade to 6.7.3, upgrade perl and php on your server.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Using the php accelerator with 6.7.3 (built-in) will make an amazing difference in the speed of your site too wink

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I miss charles whining that Perl is better than php hehe

Last edited by Gizmo; 02/17/2007 6:10 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
None of that is going to fix the search all that much. Yes Charles optimized it as best he could in later versions, but yes, it's still a flat file based system using a flat file based search containing over 300 thousand posts.

Best thing you can do is install php and mysql, then move to threads.

Don't, however, think you're going to move to threads and everything will be honey and roses. You WILL need to spend some time tuning your MySQL installation after you import and go live. Especially being on a Windows box. An untuned MySQL is hit or miss as to whether it runs well. A properly tuned MySQL will run smooth and fast, extend the live of your server immeasurably and will put a big smile on your face.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It was more the idea if the current server is doing 'ok' then adding the php accelerator and various other improvements will make a very nice addition to speed.

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Good point, Allen, and you're right.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 925 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29