Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
I have a large Classic board. 10,450 members and 65 forums.

My two biggest fears:

1. The import process will run, and then half-way through I'll run into an issue. I realize it takes time, but do issues usually surface right away, or could they pop up at any time? I dread being stuck with a non-working board.

2. I really want to match the look of my Classic board. I plan to take screen grabs of my current style sheet settings so I know for sure what I'm using. Any tips or tricks to remember before I make the jump?

Really, I'm just looking for some words of encouragement so that I pick a weekend and finally make the upgrade. smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Generally, they surface right away; look at it like this, if it fails, your classic forum is still there, so you won't have a non-working forum.

You could have someone (:ahem:) redo your style for you, numerous people (:ahem:) do style work rather cheap ($30/hr) for ubb.threads.

I've moved over a few classic boards; they take the longest to move over, but you'll definately appreciate how much faster threads is compared.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Thanks Gizmo.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
I normally do at least one import a day. It's rare that I've encountered any problems when importing a classic forum. The only times I've had a problem is when someone handed me a classic board to import that was having issues while running under classic.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I have issues when running period... But my forums run fine wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Rick, thanks for the encouraging words.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Mitch, do a dry run first. Then do the styles, taking all the time you need because this is just a dry run. Make the styles the way you want, tinker all you need. Then save them for when you do the real thing. Remember the import doesn't write to your classic board, so you can do as many test runs as you need. Nobody will even see them but you.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Can my classic board remain open when I'm importing?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I wouldn't recommend it... It won't break anything, but it could cause some problems with the import, or at least missing data should anything be posted...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
I must have done half a dozen imports before going live.
Usually late evenings as it was faster.

Each time I made notes about the settings I was using in the control panel.

Finally I bit the bullet - and I'm really pleased I did.
I'm very happy with my much faster boards.

I normally have a question or two to ask every day here.
They are always answered and usually within an hour or two as I'm sure you're aware.

Go for it - you won't regret it smile

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
I done 2 tests into databases which i kept one and dumped the latter, as that's now my test forum.

But i done as you did prepared everything and went for it.

Still had lots of tweaks to make,
but its so much better that i did.

Well done.


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
lol I probably did 30 imports; which is odd cas the one i went live with took forever to import over lol...

I'm really pleased with it, I've seen a LOT of restored resources on the machine (I'm anal retentive about resource usage, so I monitor it regularly).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)