Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#177490 02/04/2007 10:47 PM
journeyman
journeyman
2 Offline
Hi Guys:

In version 6.5 and before, the Past 24 Hours (and 48, etc.) brought up the last active posts, not topics.

Is there a way to have Past 24 Hours give me most recent posts, and not the topics?

Also, in 7.02 do we have Post Trac`king with the little numbers, and if so, where do I enable. My people LIKE that.

Rick
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
the little numbers that signify new posts are new in 7.1 which is currently in public beta.

As for Active Topics vs Active Posts; I believe allen made a modification recently for this at UBBDev.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #180890 03/18/2007 5:19 PM
Gizmo,

I have searched the UBBDev site for any info on this, but can't seem to come up with anything.

The only thing I have found is where you change the layout to include the body of the post in the list.

Do you have a link or can you point me to this mod?

Thanks,
Fred

Fred #180891 03/18/2007 5:23 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #180897 03/18/2007 6:34 PM
Yeah, that is the one I found, but again, it only changes the style the "topics" that are returned are displayed (shows the body of the post).

What we are looking for is to show ALL the posts, sorted by time posted, in the last 24 hours and not just limiting it to 1 topic (with multiple posts).

I have a feeling the change needs to be in activetopics.inc.php in the scripts directory, but I haven't been able to figure out how to modify the file yet (SQL query maybe?). whistle

Fred #180901 03/18/2007 7:14 PM
Hmmm, from what I can tell so far, version 6.5.5 (probably the older ones as well) used the dosearch file to return the active posts, just specifying the length (days). The new software uses a separate file (mentioned above), but also has the dosearch.inc.php file in the scripts directly which looks a lot like the old dosearch file.

Maybe either of these could be changed?

Do I smell a hack to also list another link under "Active Topics" that list All posts in the last 24/48 hours? Or maybe a link that also says "Active Posts?" I am sure this would be an easy mod for Rick (as he programmed/changed all this stuff), but I would have to dig into it. Heck, I didn't even know PHP until about a year ago (when I first downloaded UBBThreads). Don't you hate that as a developer? Want to use something and then have to learn a completely new language? Argh.

Anyway, if someone could come up with a simple down and dirty hack to modify this to show all the post in the past 24 hours I am sure it is wanted by more then just me.

After all, this is how the old software used to work.

BTW, this is the old link:
dosearch.php?Cat=0&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&daterange=1&newertype=d&newerval=1&Limit=25&topic=1&fromsearch=1

Maybe the new function could use this somehow?

Fred

Last edited by Fred; 03/18/2007 7:16 PM.
Fred #180902 03/18/2007 7:51 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh, you'd have to recraft the query to pull more than the latest post (to show all of the posts in 24 hours).

Gizmo #180904 03/18/2007 8:42 PM
Yep, that is what I was getting at. Not sure yet how to do that. I tried to alter it directly and got an error so I thought I would copy the file into an activeposts file and start. Then I got other errors and started back tracking and trying to find all the activetopics files and copying them into activeposts files and accessing them directly from the url, which would let me play away at it and not put up a second site or take down the active one. This would also let me use it in the future and give both functionality. Well, I still get a run_activeposts error, so I haven't found Rick's place where he defines the functions (scripts) yet....

Fred

Fred #180908 03/18/2007 9:43 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Most of the good stuff is in libs/ubbthreads.php (nto sure the name offhand, its the only threads one there)

Gizmo #180918 03/18/2007 10:13 PM
Yeah, I opened that one up and searched for "active" as in "activetopics" but I didn't find it. There must be a place somewhere that lists the active functions or sets them.

I am only at about 36 hours since the "upgrade" when we went from 6.5.5. As you probably know, I was around for the betas and had a few beta sites running, but waited until yesterday to switch over the board.

The good news is the majority of the users are happy with it. There were a few issues, but I've been coding around them, simple things like edited style sheets (adding the red for the new posts and the other one that seems to be missing is the popupmenu codes in most of the published style sheets).

I also had an auto login hack I made for 6.5.5 because the remember me checkbox didn't work for most of my users. I ended up putting up a simple redirect page telling my users it was no longer necessary (which it isn't, the new site works like it's supposed to!).

I could go on and on, but really just minor changes here and there. I had to do a LOT more in the beta releases, this one is pretty clean.

I just wish I could figure out how to give them an "Active Posts" link like they are used to.

Fred

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29