Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#179248 02/23/2007 1:16 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Is it normal behavior for both a custom and standard title to display below the users name?

-Tim
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If you had a custom title in the old version, then yes. What we did for 7.1 is added a new dedicated custom title field. The first one is stricly a post based title now, however I didn't want to overwrite those on the upgrade.

You can edit everyones new custom title in the control panel. Once everyone has that set then you can go into the Post based titles section and check the box at the bottom to reset those titles so they display correctly.

A bit confusing, but hopefully that make sense.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yeah, I just noticed that new users have both the custom, if I assign them one, and the post count titles. So, I did the check box and ran the update. This wiped out all the custom titles and just left the defaults. I just went back in and add the custom titles to everyone.

My only thoughts would be to make it possible to display just the custom title if want. It seems there is no way to turn off the display of the post based titles now.

-Tim
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I'm glad custom titles are back for users, and it's okay I think if their post count titles remain as well, but I'm having multiple issues with this now...

Being a gangster movie fan forum, my title is "The Don" and my co-admin is "Consigliere" -- both in bold and red. These were put in place before the 7.1 Custom Titles field, with the old Classic fields. Worked fine, and as admin I could change them, and custom user titles, in the CP. However, now that I installed 7.1, there's no way to edit these old titles because they don't show up in CP. If I add a custom title in my own profile right now, it shows up in addition to the old custom title (the one I cannot edit).

.Classic had Admin and Moderator default titles in Control Panel » Profile Settings » Member Titles, where I used to set these, but Threads doesn't.

Also - all users used to be able to use UBB code bold and italics in custom titles, but not any more. Admins can't either, only with HTML.

And - I can't seem to delete a custom title in my own profile settings, but need to go into CP to delete it... this last one is most serious...

Thanks smile

Last edited by jgeoff; 03/19/2007 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification cuz I'm tired and hazy - lol

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday as well. I had to manually go into the database and change it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol yes, we need some way to edit them after they're set; I agree completely

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The problem is if you have an edit box for the Post Count Based title field now then admins will be tempted to use it for something other than post count based titles. And then we fall back into the same problems we had before when the field was used for something other than a Post Count based title wink

The problem is that some people have custom values in here still. Currently this takes a database change for that particular user. We could put an edit box for it but I really don't want to put an edit box for a field that shouldn't be edited, for the reasons mentioned above wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, i set the title "El Presidente" at my site, and the only place I can edit it is through the edit profile screen as a user, it doens't show in the edit user screen...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"Member Custom Title: " always shows blank, no editing, just changnig to a new one

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I see, and can change, your Resident Post-A-Holic title here. It's listed under your Member Custom Title field. Your Carpal Tunnel one I can't edit via the control panel however, as that's the post count based one.

Just to show, I gave you a very special custom title.

Last edited by Rick; 03/19/2007 5:02 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol, odd, i'm running a stock UBB7.1 at EWG and a modded 7.1 at UGN and neither let me edit my title via the cp...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Okay, so I have to go into PHPMyAdmin to clear customs titles used before 7.1? Not a big deal until they're all cleared out. In fact, what would be the query to erase all previously entered custom titles so we can use the new field going forward?

However - I still would like bold and italics ubb codes added back in if possible. But again, no big deal.

I'd add a CP switch to allow a display of either 1) BOTH the default post-count title and the custom title together (like it is now), or, 2) having the custom title override the default title. I can see a use for both ways, so would like the choice.

Also, I'd like to see Admin and Mod titles added to the CP with the other default titles, like in Classic.

Lastly, tho, it needs to be fixed so users can edit/delete their new custom titles in their profile preferences...

Last edited by jgeoff; 03/19/2007 6:06 PM. Reason: Added 2nd to last sentence

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
User can edit/delete their custom titles only if they are allowed to do so. Under Member Management -> Profiles you can set which groups have access to editing their own custom titles.

If you want to reset your current post-based titles overriding the old custom titles, then you can check the checkbox next to "Check this box if you want to update existing users with these new titles." on that same page. This can take awhile however as it has to update each one of your users.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Rick
User can edit/delete their custom titles only if they are allowed to do so. Under Member Management -> Profiles you can set which groups have access to editing their own custom titles.

All users are set to be able to use and edit custom titles. However, they cannot delete them once they're set -- even I can't, via my profile. I can't blank it out - it comes back...

Edit: - Okay, in order to remove a custom title, right now, I have to put a space in the box and then submit it. It then clears it. I can't just clear the box like would be expected.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, ok. Looks like I need to fix that wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Miss me? laugh

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Additionally, in some enviroments, you cannot edit them via the member management (at least i can't, on 2 differant installs, ain't i special?)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by jgeoff
Miss me? laugh
always schnookums wink

"Fuzzy Bunny" pmsl lol......

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29