Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Rick,

We have been trying to get everything laid out to do the upgrade from 6.5 to 7.1. My 2 production servers (1 for HTTP and 1 for MySQL) are both dual-Xeon 2.4s with 2 gigabytes of memory and fast hard drives. My test servers are also dual-processor machines, except with 933s and 1 gigabyte of memory each. On my test servers, the importer script took almost exactly 24 hours to complete. That is a LOT of downtime for a site as active as ours. What can we do to allow for a faster conversion?

I thought about doing the import with the forums online, but that would lose any posts that were made during the import. I also tried the modification that did more rows per refresh, but it did not seem to work for me.

We archive posts ever so often, so our active database is not extremely large, but still pretty sizable. The stats are:

Total members: 74330
Total forums: 36
Total topics: 141011
Total posts: 1180436

Any help is appreciated with making the upgrade as smooth as possible for our users.

Thanks,
Jason

TheDieselStop.Com
UBB User Since 1999!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
24 hours does seem a little long - I think it took around 12 hours to import with just over 1 million for us.

I simply did it overnight - but kept the old forums up with a notice that said any posts made after say 22:00 would not appear on the new upgraded forums.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
I'm working this problem right now. I have an importer from 6.5.5 to 7.1 that did 4,000,000 posts in something like 19 hours. Unfortunately it had a minor bug which I'm fixing now (and then I'll have to test, etc.) My plan is to make it available to the community.

When I tried to import this same table using the normal importer I gave up after 3 days of it running on an empty server.

Last edited by Chuck Weinstock; 03/16/2007 11:22 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I Offline
Originally Posted by Chuck Weinstock
I'm working this problem right now. I have an importer from 6.5.5 to 7.1 that did 4,000,000 posts in something like 19 hours. Unfortunately it had a minor bug which I'm fixing now (and then I'll have to test, etc.) My plan is to make it available to the community.

When I tried to import this same table using the normal importer I gave up after 3 days of it running on an empty server.

So was the database on a different server than the importer? If so, I think that could cause the slow import times since the importer is pretty much 30mill queries in your case

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by Ian Spence
So was the database on a different server than the importer? If so, I think that could cause the slow import times since the importer is pretty much 30mill queries in your case

Nope. Same server. Just a lot of inserts and updates.

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Mine is on a different server.

Jason

TheDieselStop.Com
UBB User Since 1999!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have the same problem.
That's why I still cannot decide when to upgrade from 6.5.4 to 7.0.2.

I have :
Total topics: 84897
Total posts: 851749

On my test server , the importer script has already run 20+ hours.
And the importer script is running more and more slowly. It is processing 64???th topic now.
I estimate that it'll take the whole two days to finish "topic" import. Not including PM's import , that may be another two or three days ...

My question : Why is the script running more and more slowly ?
At first , it processes 20 topics like fly , but later , it's like a snail... and my HD read/write more and more constantly.

I can't shut down my website for 4 or 5 days to upgrade . Is there any better solution ?

How about the ubb6's db and ubb7's db on different servers , will it help ?

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Mine slows down as it goes too. I suppose because the tables and indexes keep growing.

Jason

TheDieselStop.Com
UBB User Since 1999!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, there was an issue with the importer for 7.0.x where it would slow down as it goes, that was due to a bad query. Are you running the very latest importer and importing into 7.1?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rick
Are you running the very latest importer and importing into 7.1?

No, I am running 7.0.2 importer. I think I have to upgrade from 6.5.4 -> 7.0.2 -> 7.1
Is it possible to upgrade direct from 6.5.x to 7.1 ? (skip 7.0.x)

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, you can upgrade directly from 6.5.x to 7.1. Just grab the latest importer from the members area as it has some changes that should speed things up during the posts stage as well.

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
I was running the earlier one as well.

Jason

TheDieselStop.Com
UBB User Since 1999!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can upgrade from 6.5 to ANY release in the 7 series; upgrading to 7.0.2 is not required at all.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Again, i really need to make sure theres not more pages after I decide to post on something...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rick
Yes, you can upgrade directly from 6.5.x to 7.1. Just grab the latest importer from the members area as it has some changes that should speed things up during the posts stage as well.

I grabbed the importer script from members area last night , and ran the importer again.
But I didn't notice any speed improvement till now. It seems the same slow as before ... frown

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29