Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#180856 03/18/2007 12:00 AM
O
O Offline
i've just moved my system from my shared web server to my own VPS.

all went relatively smoothly, but i was rather disappointed to discover that the spider-friendly URLs do not work on the new server.

what, if anything, can i do about this?

what impact will it have on my website's visibility without the spider-friendly URLs?

comments appreciated!

Okusi Associates -- Indonesian business and management services
O
O Offline
i seems age and senility are catching up with me ... i recall having this same spider-friendly problem on my on my old server, and rick has already provided some of the answers.

something relating to PATH_INFO environment variable, and putting the following into the php.ini file:

cgi.fix_pathinfo =1

i recall that fixed the problem last time. only thing is, now i forget where the php.ini file is located ... frown

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The location can vary depending on the server. If it's a linux server you could use the locate command perhaps to find it:

locate php.ini

That should give you it's location.

O
O Offline
thanks! got it! found it in /etc on my system.

i've already changed the php.ini file with the cgi.fix_pathinfo=1 setting. i cleared the cache, and tried again. alas, this time around, it didn't work.

i note that the PATH_INFO variable is not actually set to anything on my system. should i also set this??

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
you could go into the apache configuration (you're on CentOS4 if your'e where I sugguested to go, so thats /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) and scroll down to the bottom where your site is entered and add this in the options line:
AcceptPathInfo On

i'd try to say more, bu ti'm kinda timpsy and I need to find some foood so i'll be balc kater.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
O
O Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
you could go into the apache configuration (you're on CentOS4 if your'e where I sugguested to go, so thats /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf)

no, i'm on a singapore-based system, usonyx.com. but you did actually give me the idea to go for a VPS smile ... i've now consolidated my 8 domains in the one place for the very first time, at about the same cost overall, and with far more control over my systems. only problem is, i now can't blame the sysop when things go wrong smile

and scroll down to the bottom where your site is entered and add this in the options line:
AcceptPathInfo On

i'd try to say more, bu ti'm kinda timpsy and I need to find some foood so i'll be balc kater.

so you are actually wanting me to trust the word of someone under the influence?? ...

LOL

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I do my best work while tipsy! lol...

But basically, you'll be giving your site access to utilize any options available in .htaccess files; I use it on all of mine that i need more control on and that I don't want to have to issue in the main apache configuration file.

An example:
Code
<VirtualHost 65.19.133.39:80>
##SuexecUserGroup "#504" "#501"
        ServerName undergroundnews.com
        ServerAlias www.undergroundnews.com
        DocumentRoot /home/ugn/public_html
        ErrorLog /home/ugn/logs/error_log
        CustomLog /home/ugn/logs/access_log combined
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/ugn/cgi-bin/
        <Directory /home/ugn/public_html>
                Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride All
                AcceptPathInfo On
                allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
O
O Offline
i've changed the php.ini file for cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1

i've changed the httpd.conf with AcceptPathInfo On in the relevant section.

still no joy on this.

will burnt offerings help in this case?

a sacrificial lamb, perhaps?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
cgi.fix_pathinfo is only in effect when PHP is compiled as a CGI; as you're on a VPS I highly doubt this is the case so it should not work.

The path info variable itself will be blank until a path is posted to a script.

As said, you have to update the options for the site's config to ether:
1. Have AcceptPathInfo On
2. Have AllowOverride All and a entry for AcceptPathInfo On in a .htaccess file in that sites webroot.

P
P Offline
This is all so confusing, can someone please help me to translate this ? I'm running on a linux server, and have SSH access, but I'm not sure about making all these changes. And I'm very confused after reading all above.

Thanks

Jason

O
O Offline
i can understand your confusion! i really think you need more than just a little linux knowledge to make these changes, and to make them correctly. i tried myself, basically cutting and pasting into the httpd.conf file, and making necessary adjustments. but it didn't work!

i then reverted to asking my sysop to fix it, and he did. and it worked.

so, hopefully you've got yourself a friendly helpful systems person at your ISP.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
These are advanced settings, screwing something up in the configuration file will completely nerf apache (your webserver) from even loading.

Simply put, the "AllowOverride All" setting has to be added below the "Options" line for your site in the apache configuration; then a setting of "AcceptPathInfo On" needs to be added in your .htaccess file in your sites root.

In some places it's already set with somilar settings, plus apache versions differ nd everything else... some vps server software actually make said changes for you also; honestly, i fyou don't know what you're doing, you should hire someone to do it on your behalf.

P
P Offline
just an updat, my dedicated host has told me that apache must be upgraded in order to do this.. I'm waiting to hear back on what the upgrade will cost, or if it can be done.
Thanks

Jason

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe it should work on any build of Apache2, as for Apache1, I'm not entirely sure (though it'd be odd that they're still running Apache1, especially if they rolled out a fresh os for your new vps)

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Most hosts will give you the old stuff unless you specifically ask for current software - a pox on them! wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
too true - mind you none of my clients get really old stuff - because I have to use it as well LOL

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Why AllowOverrideALL?

ALL?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why? cas its his VPS and if he wants to define something for his site he'll likely want to adjust it anytime he wants vs maintaining an AllowOverrride line.

He could just do "AllowOverride FileInfo" but again it's his vps, and is only his sites, so theres no real reason to define every little thing he wants to override...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29