Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#181343 03/22/2007 5:56 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
In preparation of moving my board off of Classic and into Threads, I have to move to a new server -- the old one is running out-of-date versions of MySQL and PHP. Both servers are on unix, and the host site admin is helping me by copying the files (so I don't have to ftp everything down to my PC then back to the new server.)

Involved in the move is a URL registration switch. That is, the URL registration currently points to the old server. As soon as the files are copied, the URL registration will be changed to point to the new server.

So here are my steps. Please tell me if they look ok, or if there is a problem:

1. Post a message telling users that if they see the message, they should wait until it disappears. Set the old board to read-only.

2. Host site administrator copies all directories and files under /httpdocs/ubb and /cgi-bin/ubb to the new server. (Am I missing any files?)

3. I post one last message on the old board informing people if they see the message, they need to wait, since they are seeing the old server.

4. Host site administrator switches the URL registration to point to the new server. Once that URL switch propagates across the Internet, users will be connected to the new server.

5. As soon as the message I created in step 3 disappears, I know I am connecting to the new server. At that point, I can set the forums to allow posting, and delete or change the message created in step 1 telling people they are on the new board.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Don't forget your members files; a lot of people have them under the web root /httpdocs/members for example.

I do like the idea of posting a message and closing the forums, then working on things on the new server wink.

You'll need to make sure that you update your vars_config.cgi file in the cgibin so that it reads the new paths on the new server; but other than that, it looks good and logical.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. All the members files are under /cgi-bin/ubb/Members/, and all I have under /httpdocs is /ubb, which holds the Forum1..Forum_n folders.

I had to change the vars_config.cgi when the new site was under a new URL (www2), but with the URL registration change, the new server will have exactly the same URL as the old site, and the old site will not be accessible via the Internet. So with the copy, I am actually wiping out the vars_config.cgi in cgi-bin/ubb and replacing it with the old one containing the correct URL

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, i wasn't mentioning the URL, I figured it'd stay the same; but likely the path to your install will change on the new server.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Now you've got me worried. Checking the vars_config.cgi files on old and new servers, (new server has an old cloned Classic install), the paths I find are:
----Old server----
CGIPath!       => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb!
MembersPath!   => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Members!
NonCGIPath!    => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/httpdocs/ubb!
VariablesPath! => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb!

----New server----
CGIPath!       => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb!
MembersPath!   => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Members!
NonCGIPath!    => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/httpdocs/ubb!
VariablesPath! => q!/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb

The only difference I see is in the several URL settings in the file, and there, the only difference is between the www and www2.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
ahh, your path is based off of the domain name and the same on both servers; you should be fine.

Veteran
Veteran
I have written a little ditty that will help those needing path information and all that and give it out free. It is great when changing servers or setting up stuff needing path information to scripts and files. You can download it and pass it out freely.

It is located for download at http://www.abeagleworld.com/downloads/server-info.zip

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Lockman: I downloaded your zip and extracted two files. But server-info.cgi looks like it is all compiled code or something. Being the wary type, should I trust it??? A bit more explanation of what it does would help.

Last time I downloaded and blindly ran a file, I had a trojan horse that took me a long time to exterminate. Granted, that was on Windows, but I am even less experienced in unix.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I blindly run any script; just a simple rule of thumb.

If you really need your path, create a php script:
phpinfo.php:
Code
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

And drop it in your webroot.

Veteran
Veteran
Here is the un-compiled code. It was compiled as many times I give stuff away and I find it with some one elses name on it free some where else.

Code

#!/usr/bin/perl

read(STDIN, $buffer, $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'});
 @pairs = split(/&/, $buffer);
  foreach $pair (@pairs) {
   ($name, $value) = split(/=/, $pair);
   $value =~ tr/+/ /;
   $value =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg;
   $value =~ s/\n/ /g;
   $request{$name} = $value;
  }

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

use Socket;
 $IPu99=qq($ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'});

$host = qq($ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'});

if ($host eq "") {
   $host = gethostbyaddr(inet_aton($IPu99), AF_INET);
   $host1 = qq("FAILED - USE SOCKET"&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;);
   $hostres=qq($host1 $host);
 } else {
   $hostres = qq($host);
 }

print qq(
 <HTML>
 <HEAD>
 <TITLE>JAISP Software - Server Varriables</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
 <BODY BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE" LINK="Black" ALINK="Black" VLINK="Black">
 <TABLE BGCOLOR="#0069D4" BORDER="0" WIDTH="95%" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="5" ALIGN=CENTER>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF" ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="#B8DBFE" SIZE="5"><B>JAISP Server Information Script</B></FONT></TD>
  </TR>
 </TABLE>
 <P>
 <TABLE BGCOLOR="#0069D4" BORDER="0" WIDTH="95%" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="2" ALIGN=CENTER>
  <TR>
   <TD WIDTH="160" BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">GATEWAY_INTERFACE</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'GATEWAY_INTERFACE'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SERVER_ADMIN</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SERVER_ADMIN'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SERVER_NAME</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SERVER_NAME'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SERVER_SOFTWARE</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SERVER_SOFTWARE'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">AUTH_TYPE</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'AUTH_TYPE'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">CONTENT_LENGTH</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">CONTENT_TYPE</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'CONTENT_TYPE'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REQUEST_METHOD</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">PATH</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'PATH'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">PATH_INFO</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'PATH_INFO'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">PATH_TRANSLATED</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'PATH_TRANSLATED'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">QUERY_STRING</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'QUERY_STRING'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_ADDR</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_HOST</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$hostres</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_PORT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REMOTE_PORT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_INDENT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REMOTE_INDENT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_USER</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">REMOTE_NAME</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'REMOTE_NAME'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SCRIPT_FILENAME</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SCRIPT_FILENAME'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SCRIPT_NAME</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SCRIPT_NAME'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SERVER_PORT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SERVER_PORT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">SERVER_PROTOCOL</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'SERVER_PROTOCOL'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HTTP_USER_AGENT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HTTP_REFERER</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HOST_TYPE</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HOST_TYPE'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">DOCUMENT_ROOT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'DOCUMENT_ROOT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HTTP_ACCEPT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HTTP_ACCEPT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HTTP_IDENT</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HTTP_IDENT'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF"><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">HTTP_FROM</FONT></TD>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#B8DBFE"><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="Black" SIZE="2">$ENV{'HTTP_FROM'}</FONT></TD>
  </TR>
 </TABLE>
 <P>
 <TABLE BGCOLOR="#0069D4" BORDER="0" WIDTH="95%" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="5" ALIGN=CENTER>
  <TR>
   <TD BGCOLOR="#69B3FF" ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE="Verdana" COLOR="Black" SIZE="1"><B>&copy;2007 JAISP - WWW.JAISP.COM</B></FONT></TD>
  </TR>
 </TABLE>
 </BODY>
 </HTML>
 );

exit;

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
Here is the un-compiled code. It was compiled as many times I give stuff away and I find it with some one elses name on it free some where else.
You too? I have the same issue with my "uptime" script, an early version of it is still being passed around online for free...

I saw a friend running it, and asked him where he got it, and laughed... Same images, but was shoved into some CMS now, and was jacked out and passed around under someone elses name lol...

Though the new version is way cleaned up and is a function vs how i was handling things then, but again wiht the same images that I threw together in photoshop lol...

Veteran
Veteran
I just hate that, they could atleast give you a line and ask if they can use part of your code for something and give you credit for it. Would be nice but they just jack your code all the time.

I even compile code now when I make changes for others others software like UBB Classic or those ad programs. If anyone is interested in the perl compiler it is free and I will give you the URL to the place I had gotten it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
All of my code is PHP; if I really cared that much I'd Zend or IonCube it wink

Veteran
Veteran
You know who you remind me of? Charles Capps.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
You know who you remind me of? Charles Capps.
Strangely enough I take that as a sincere compliment wink... I talk to CC over AIM every so often... I like to keep tabs on him well...

I haven't gotten David or Rick's AIM names yet though...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There's a file that comes with .classic already in the /help folder that checks environmental variables, paths, permissions, and much more etc.

ubbclassic_test.cgi

check it out wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, I made glier use that a couple weeks ago, but neglected it here wink... I guess I just like PHP :flex:

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 939 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29