Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I'm not sure if I understand what I should be doing. Do I install the 7.1 threads in a new directory on the server, set it all up, then import from the old (current) 6.5.5 directory?

Thanks!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
To simplify things, you should install into a new directory. You'd import from that same directory as well, as you'll upload the importer you'll be using to the importers directory of the 7.1 version.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wrote up a fairly standard guide to upgrading UBB.Threads to version7 here

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Thank you! Got it all installed, the import worked beautifully! smile

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
OK. maybe is the English language... I can't have the importer to work.

I have a 6.5.5 in one server (old mysql and php)
I have the new 7.1 in a new server (correct mysql and PHP).

where do I upload the import files postlist.php, showflat.php, showthreaded.php and threads_import.php?
And what will be on that line that I have to change: the new server/ubb or the old server/ubb address?

And how I will import the users?

Sorry. I could not the the Importer so far... frown

Thank you for help

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The importer files would go in a directory on the "original" domain name which would redirect to the new install directory...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
Thank you Gizmo, for your extensive reports on 'importer' smile
I understood that I will put the importer on the 'old' ubbthreads.
Now, there are files named showflat.php and showtrheads.php on the /forum/ folder
If I move the 'importer' set, it also has files with the same name, on the /forum/.
I was hopping to keep my old forum working until I can get all set on the 7.1.
Can I rename the original showflat/php and showthreads.php to something else, do the importer, and then rename back?

Thank you

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
I run it.
It took about 3 to 5 seconds and load a page on my new server:
/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

with the UBB Error:
There are no forums for you to view.

I didn't create any forum, neither password on this new installation (per install instructions).

Any ideas?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The files in with the importer are redirector scripts, you'd replace your old ones with these (after you edit the url in them) after you'd have a succuessful import.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
Gizmo. I'm lost here... I will continue it tomorrow. Sorry frown

Looks like I could not understand the concept for the importer yet.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Let me try to word it easier...

The importer is for UBB.Threads 6.5.x to UBB.Threads 7.x (or UBB.Classic 6.7.x to UBB.Threads 7.x)...

The importer comes with redirection files so you can send your OLD forum links to the NEW ones. There is a URL area in each redirector file that points to your NEW INSTALL directory.

The redirector files go in your OLD INSTALL directory.

So, if your old url was:
http://www.mysite.tld/ubb

And your new url is:
http://www.mysite.tld/forums

The redirector files would go into:
http://www.mysite.tld/ubb

An exception however is that if you've imported the data and are running the files from the old directory location, you'd put the importers in that directory.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
OK. I guess now I understood it.
the importer only import the links, not the threads it self right?
And how about the users? How can I re-create then on the new server?

I guess I have a big problem here, since I'm moving from a server running mysql 3x to a second server, running mysql 4x.
I do not have TELNET access to either server, so how can I import the tables? I do do have mysqladmin access on both server, but I relized that the Export-->Import is uselles since most tables on the new version are different from the old one.

So, by any chance do you know how I could get my old data, from my old mysql 3x server, on my new mysql 4x server?
I stil have access to both computers, but the old one will fade out soon, so this is why I would like to grab some critical information like users, banned, posts, groups, foruns, etc.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
I getting a little more on my upgrading think.
Now I can run the "threads_import.php" and get errors... smile better then before when I could not run at all.

I didn't have the folders /libs and /styles on my OLD installation. I just copy those files from the new install (version 7).
Also, there is something funny with the 'language' path.
My forum had a language different then English as a Primary.
I change it back to English, but continue with the very same error.

Please, see the errors:

Warning: set_style(/styles/.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 368

Warning: set_style(/styles/.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 368

Warning: set_style(): Failed opening '/styles/.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:../PEAR-1.1') in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 368

Warning: not_right_bare(languages//generic.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 799

Warning: not_right_bare(languages//generic.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 799

Warning: not_right_bare(): Failed opening 'languages//generic.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:../PEAR-1.1') in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/imigrar/forum/libs/ubbthreads.inc.php on line 799

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
No, the importer imports all of your old forum data... Thats forum names, thread names, thread posts, users, profile information, polls, sticky topics, etc.

The redirectors redirct the old links to the new locations.

I certainly hope you don't have TELNET access to a server, Telnet is insecure. It'd be liely that your host has SSH installed...

The importer doesn't need command line access to do its thing, it just needs to be run on the server... I however don't think it can be run from a seperate server, I think it has to be run wherever the old files are at...

Creating a database dump however is a nessessity if you're moving... And PHPMyAdmin isn't an option (nor is any other web script) when creating a backup of a large database, as the PHP Maximum Execution time will kill the download before you are able to download a complete backup...

If you cannot create a database dump, i highly recommend asking your host to create one for you... especially if it is scheduled to be decommissioned...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
as for your errors, I have no idea what you're doing... those directories aren't required on your old install as it didn't have them...

I hope you're following a migration guide vs just dropping new files over old ones, cas then you're just going to end up with a huge mess that doens't work...

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E Offline
OK. per your text, I understood that I HAVE TO have both database, the old and the new, on THE SAME SERVER, right?
If this is the case, then I have to ask my provider for a 'database dump' before going further.

I will do it today and see what will happen.

THank you for now.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe the import must be run on the same server yes... As the data is read from the database...

In any case I'd recommend having a dump, you'll never know when you'll need a backup..

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 770 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29