Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#182202 04/06/2007 3:24 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You may use this thread to discuss the 7.1.1 release. Please do not use this for bug reports.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:waves:

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I'm in.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Rick
Please do not use this for bug reports.

I'd like to report an Aardvark!

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Derka Derka !!

Happy Customer !!!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
derka derka osoma jjihad? lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Derka Derka Mohamed Jehad

Join Europes biggest BMW M Car owners site
M-Torque - www.mtorque.co.uk
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh i was sclose

Addict
Addict
Howdy folks!

Is the PM feature in 7.1.1 fully operational for users who have special characters in their display names?

M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Originally Posted by MattUK
Derka Derka Mohamed Jehad

ahhhh Derka Derka Mohamed Jehad !!

Happy Customer !!!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Conrad
Howdy folks!

Is the PM feature in 7.1.1 fully operational for users who have special characters in their display names?
I fixed this by changing my character set to UTF-8.

Addict
Addict
Thanks, good to know that there's a quick solution available.

What happens to all those special characters when you switch to UTF-8? Are they all available, including all the strange ones like the trademark symbol, etc.?

As for 7.1.1, is the feature fixed or is moving to UTF-8 still the only way around the issue?

Old Hand
Old Hand
If you change the codepage to utf-8 all special chars goes to ? or other strange symbols. The content of the database need to be converted too frown

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Zarzal
If you change the codepage to utf-8 all special chars goes to ? or other strange symbols. The content of the database need to be converted too frown
This is correct; however ™ and © work just fine with mine no problem without having to be converted.

Addict
Addict
Ok, so back to my original question, is the PM issue in 7.1 fixed in 7.1.1?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't believe so, as the issue is a character set issue and Rick hasn't made a converter of database information to convert data to UTF-8; else you'd end up with a ton of ?'s in posts at times

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, that's the crux of the issue right there. I can't change the default to utf-8 because it would cause problems with existing installations that use a lot of special characters. New installations could and should be done this way.

The only real way to do it is in an upgrade where each post can be converted to utf-8. The upgrade will be a bit time consuming as it will have to convert each post, so it will need to be on a major release number and not necessarily a bug fix.

Addict
Addict
Right, just to clear things up, is the 7.1 PM issue fixed in 7.1.1 for users with special characters in their display names?

Or is converting to UFT-8 the only way around this bug for the time being?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Right, just to clear things up, is the 7.1 PM issue fixed in 7.1.1 for users with special characters in their display names?
It is NOT fixed in 7.1.1

Or is converting to UFT-8 the only way around this bug for the time being?
This IS the fix, until a way can be devised to convert all old posts to UTF-8 this will not however be pushed out.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We have a few people that have switched to their language encoding to UTF-8 without any problems, which fixes it, but they don't have any special characters in their postings, or very few which they weren't worried about, so it wasn't a problem for them.

Addict
Addict
Thanks guys, are we close to seeing a fix released for this? Because right now I'm left with a product that I am unable to upgrade to 7.1 or 7.1.1 due to this whole PM thing. wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's hard to say. This is a major deal as it's not something we can just quickly write and call it good. Later versions of PHP 5+ have built in functions to do a conversion, while earlier versions do not and will need to have something like iconv installed in order to convert the charset. Database collations will also need to be altered more than likely, so at this point I haven't even had a chance to thoroughly look at how we'll be able to accomplish this.

The other option is to rework the private message portion to not use xml and just use plaintext as we do with the preview post area. I'm not sure if this is feasible yet and if we can do the full Private Message options we have now if we go that route, but it's something I'm looking at.

Last edited by Rick; 04/12/2007 7:13 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, for those who use languages other than english, I'm sure there will be quite a few problems wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just a note on this. We should have 7.1.1 released to the members area early next week.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick == Quick little Monkey...

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Great, so I really have the weekend off then smile

My first test if all my hacks are documented right laugh

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Addict
Addict
Thanks Rick, please let me know if the upcoming release will allow users running ISO encoding to upgrade to 7.1.2+.

Even though I am a foreigner currently residing in Poland I have to ensure that my users have a fully-functional bulletin board with all options available to them. I cannot change their language, though changing the encoding to the Unicode standard is fine with me as long as somone can "hold me by the hand" and lead me through the process. wink

I guess the bottom line is that as an Infopop/Groupee customer, with a gold license which pretty much proves my commitment to Rick's software masterpiece which is by far the best product on the market, I would like to keep my forums updated with the newest version available. So when one of the key functions stops working for users with one of the ISO encoding standards, I just want to know what the future holds for us. Can I stay with Groupee, or must I change my forum software?

I want to stay and Rick has proven over the years that he is the true leader when it comes to forum software, and he even carried out my forum upgrade which was 100% successful and became applauded by thousands of visitors to my site. So I am hoping to stay as one of Infopop's or Groupee's oldest gold customers, and this will remain my top priority.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Even though I am a foreigner currently residing in Poland I have to ensure that my users have a fully-functional bulletin board with all options available to them. I cannot change their language, though changing the encoding to the Unicode standard is fine with me as long as somone can "hold me by the hand" and lead me through the process. wink
Should be no harder than clicking update and having it go through all of your posts to update posted encodings.

And I agree, Rick is the man wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Rick
Yeah, that's the crux of the issue right there. I can't change the default to utf-8 because it would cause problems with existing installations that use a lot of special characters. New installations could and should be done this way.

The only real way to do it is in an upgrade where each post can be converted to utf-8. The upgrade will be a bit time consuming as it will have to convert each post, so it will need to be on a major release number and not necessarily a bug fix.

As a side-note: when my vps was recreated to use FC5 I was updated to MySQL 5.0.something and all data converted to utf-8. I haven't seen any ? but it's possible we never used the extended symbols.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
J
J Offline
Just installed 7.1.1. Install is complete and board is operating fine.

Question: When the install script attempted to upgrade the language files it failed because most of the files were 755. I changed them all to 777 and repeated the step and all went well after that. What should the permissions on the files in that directory be? Should I leave them at 777 or chmod them back to 755?

Many thanks to Rick for an outstanding product.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Normally you need to do directories as either 775 or 777, and the files as 666. If you use the control panel to edit the language files from time to time, then you can leave the permissions writable. If you never change the default language strings, then you don't have to keep them writable during normal operation.

J
J Offline
OK. Thanks.

Not sure how they got to 755 in the first place....

Old Hand
Old Hand
The installer told me that scriots/manageoptions.inc.php is no longer needet and he delete the file. Is this correct? The file is in the 7.1.1 distribution. I'm not sure about this file.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
journeyman
journeyman
Just copy files to directories *.*? Won't harm current configuration? My 7.1 was JUST installed a few weeks ago.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
manageoptions is no longer needed Zarzal. It should have been removed from the distribution. I'll get that done.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by PopWireless
Just copy files to directories *.*? Won't harm current configuration? My 7.1 was JUST installed a few weeks ago.

You never want to override your includes, styles, or cache_builders/custom directories. These all contain information specific to your install. If you haven't done any template/language/image modifications then you can copy all of the files to the other directories however.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Theres a 7.x upgrade guide here

Nice one Rick smile

As Mark Pats Gizmo on the head for the link above wink

My sub-forum Bug Link dint make the cut then frown

I mentioned a Bug not Talked about it lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Don't feel bad Marky, some big bugs have to wait for a big release!

A actually feel better now youve worded it like that smile
What a wonderful world it could be lol...

Happy things are moving forward again smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29