Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Q
stranger
stranger
Q Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
I'm trying to edit my header template and the software won't let me -- something about not having permission(s).

Any ideas how I get permission to do this kind of stuff?

thanks,

quig

ps: Anyone responding, keep in mind that behavior that is rewarded will be repeated. If I get an answer to this, I will be back.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
The files in your template folder must be chmodded 666 in order to use the template editor.

The same goes for the language files.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Q
stranger
stranger
Q Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
chmodded 666?

Okay, if I have to go back to college to understand this, it's okay to say so. I'm a big boy I can take the pain. I'm self-taught, and never got past hand-coding html.

In English, are you telling me I probably can't do it?

thanks,

quig

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
CHMOD is the way you set permissions on files; generally though FTP... It means that all users executing the files can write to them...

I'm taking a shot in the dark and guessing that you didn't install your forum on your own...

There is a permission checker in your admin center which checks the permissions on all files to validate that they're setup properly to utilize all features; whoever setup your forum should go through there and update permissions on files accordingly...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Q
stranger
stranger
Q Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
BUSTED!!

Right, . . . I couldn't install it, because I couldn't buy it. (Not only am I amateur, but got Mac.)

Okay, I'll get on my buddy and have him check the permissions on all the files. I got a feeling I'm gonna wish I was locked out, but I gotta try, know what I mean?

While I got your attention, if I go in to the header template, and assuming I can still write the code, am I gonna be able to put a custom header inside a table and expect it to work out?

I promise my questions will get better.

thanks,

quig

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Yes, once the permissions are set you can edit the Default Header and it will take straight HTML and will appear above the forum. So, if you can write the HTML then you should be good to go.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
There is also a header insert area in the general options for your forum that you can drop code in as well; though I'm not sure weather your permissions are set on the files in the includes directory to 666, but i'd immagine they are as your config.inc.php evidently was to make the installation...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Q
stranger
stranger
Q Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Okay. I've been making some headway (with a LOT of help from a programmer friend of mine), but we can't figure out how to tell which template is for what (except the header,of course).

I'm trying to put some lines in the page to separate the sections on the main page "usff.com/BOLT/forum/". I got the one in at the bottom of the header template, but can't figure out how to edit the page itself.

Any ideas?

thanks,
quig

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Easy to find what template; look in the URL of the page you are on...

This page's URL for eample is:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/182438/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

See ubb/? Well, that is the page name, which will be the name of the template, in this case, showflat.tpl.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Q
stranger
stranger
Q Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks!

What are you naming conventions for the different objects?

How are they traceable from the actual pages (to modify with your modifications tools)?

Do you have any documents that eplain all this (perhaps pictures)?

thanks,

quig

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Scripts are inc.php
Templates are .tpl
Admin Templates are .tmpl

Not sure what you mean about traceable...

And there exists little documentation on hacking files at this time.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)