Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
I’ve got my new board installed and am currently getting used to it before considering importing the 200,000+ posts on our classic. In anticipation of going ahead with that classic 6.7.2 > threads upgrade, I do have a few questions, if someone could help I’d really appreciate it. Hopefully they might help other people in the same situation.

1
I am currently playing around with my threads installation – adding forums, categories, posts, etc. Before I import, should I delete all of those so that the board is totally bare? Should I delete them on the Forums themselves, or should I be deleting the data in the database (if that makes sense).

2
When I import, will all the settings of my classic come into the new board – including cateogries and forums?

3
What about settings such as “custom fields” that I have made in classic on the registration form? Will they be brought over from classic or will I have to add those things?

4
In the “Minimum Display Name Length:” the default on threads is 3 letters. But we have some users who have names of just 1 character. Will they be imported without problem or should I change that settings on threads before doing the import?

5
For this import do you recommend me just saving my styles and then basically deleting everything, reinstalling the bare threads (as bought) and then doing the import without making any modifications?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by willing; 04/18/2007 9:34 PM.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
When you import, you should drop your threads database and run the createtables.php file in your install directory then run the importer file.

When you import, your data will come (threads, posts, pms, etc); your "settings" are incompatable, as are your styles. This question has been asked hundreds of times if you use the search feature.

Your custom fields (the standard 4) will come over. If you added more through a mod, they will not.

They will be imported over.. Rather they should, i can't see why they wouldn't.

for #5 see my response as #1


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
Thanks.

What about Question 4. Will that come over ok?

drop your threads database --- by that does that mean delete it and then create it again.

----

Just a side note, I think the application looks great I am really looking forward to using it. I just wish there was more in depth documentation. I'm sure more in depth instructions and notes in one place would get more people to take the plunge with confidence rather than have endless questions.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
#4 was
Originally Posted by Gizmo
They will be imported over.. Rather they should, i can't see why they wouldn't.


As for:
Originally Posted by willing
drop your threads database --- by that does that mean delete it and then create it again.
Yes.



I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
Thank you


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 176 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)