Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#182882 04/20/2007 2:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
We are currently evaluating porting our old wwwthreads implementation to either ubb.threads or vBulletin. In preparation for the move, we recently split our monolithic forum into a number of subforums. That has left some of our users unhappy that they can't see a single screen display of the most recent threads regardless of which forum they are from.

vBulletin has a Recent Threads display atop the Forum List, which meets this requirement. The Recent Threads I've seen in the ubb.threads 7.0 demo does not, as it is just a list of titles without replies, views, etc. Active Threads also seems to have a unique display format.

What I want is to give the users the choice to view their topics by subforum, or to view all subtopics; either way the display format should be the same. Is this doable?

Thanks


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I think theres a hack at ubbdev for what you're wanting; take a look at my Active Topics display.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I think theres a hack at ubbdev for what you're wanting; take a look at my Active Topics display.

That is a nice display, but not quite what I am looking for. I am really looking for a display that makes all the forums in a category look like a single forum. Something like the vBulletin display of Recent Threads. Here is an example from the prototype we've brought up of our forum:

[img]I would attach my example here but I can't find the attach button![/img]

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You can only attach images to certain forums; such as the test forum.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Currently this would take a modification for this type of display. It does sound like an interesting idea however. As Gizmo stated, attachments are turned on for certain forums here, such as the test forum. I'll turn them on for this forum as well as it's probably a good idea for cases such as this.

Rick #183007 04/22/2007 11:20 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Rick
Currently this would take a modification for this type of display. It does sound like an interesting idea however. As Gizmo stated, attachments are turned on for certain forums here, such as the test forum. I'll turn them on for this forum as well as it's probably a good idea for cases such as this.

Here is the example image:
[Linked Image from cirruspilots.org]

This allows people who like hierarchical views to treat the subforums individually, and people who just want to see everything to still have a threaded/topics view.

One shortcoming of the vBulletin implementation is you have a fixed # of threads for that view; it really should be a multi-page display like the forum topics display.

-Curt


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 176 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)