Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Hi
I have an individual who is spamming other users via PM.

Is it possible to 'switch off' individual users?

Or is it a board wide decision?

Thanks smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Currently the trick is to set him as underage in his profile in the control panel, and that will disable his ability to use the private message feature.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
I bet that's not in the Manual lol...


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by Mark S
I bet that's not in the Manual lol...
no but it's mentioned here a couple times wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Cheers Rick, I'd never have thought of that.

Hmmm (Didn't find anything on a search) - I s'pose you'd have to be a real Carpal Tunnel kind of postaholic to have noticed if it were posted anywhere wink wink

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
:looks around: I don't know who you're talking about...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
H
HDS Offline
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
In UBB classic, you could just go to the member's profile and turn off the ability to use private messaging.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this "Threads" is and improvement over Classic.

frown -- Hal

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
In Threads you can bann them for an Automated time smile
You cant in Classic. wink

Pros and cons all the way.

I prefer Threads and i used to be a Hardened Classic Guy wink


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by HDS
In UBB classic, you could just go to the member's profile and turn off the ability to use private messaging.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this "Threads" is and improvement over Classic.

frown -- Hal
faster and more efficient, way more features, not EOL... It does take a LOT of getting used to however...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
H
HDS Offline
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by gizmo
way more features

If this was a battle of quantity, your point could be valid. But why on earth were some very functional features of Classic omitted in Threads? Was it too much trouble to include these features? If new features are added that replaced the "old" features, that’s one thing. But it appears to me that somebody threw out part of the baby with the bath water.

You can make your ladder ten feet taller, but if you take out some some of the rungs in the middle, it may be less functional.

I'll do my volume shopping at Wal Mart.

smile -- Hal

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
KEep in mind that the features you've mentioned are not gone for good...

Threads release date was pushed back so many times that once they brought the product back from being ultimately vaporware...

Threads7 was completely rewritten from the ground up, so not all features from both products (or from feature requests) where (or rather could be) added in without pushing the release date back yet again which wasn't a possibility.

The new features that are being added are old ones that where in both products, as well as some new ones to play catchup with long awaited feature requests and other products that've had them for eon's.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Addict
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490
Likes: 2
Some sort of anti-spamming mechanism would be of great help to all us admins.

Rick probably knows best what's feasible from a programmer's perspective and what's not, but here are a few ideas on how admins could be helped by such a feature:

- few posts, many PMs: such users will be flagged in the control panel allowing the admin to check them out. There could also be an auto-block feature, so if a new user with 0 posts sends more than 5 PMs, he account is automatically blocked with an alert sent to the admin.

- cut&paste spammers: I would bet that 99% of all PM spammers simply cut&paste the message each and every time. If the software detects that the last 3 outgoing PMs are identical, it automatically locks the account pending further investigation. This solution alone would solve the PM spam issue for most admins.

- only allowing users registered X days/months ago and/or having posted X messages to use the PM feature. This alone would prevent newbie spammer registrations from being a threat. The admin would have the ability to set a benchmark for users before they get the PM feature, for instance being registered for a minimum of 30 days and having at least 100 posts.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Hi Conrad,
Looks like you've already been through what I'm going through now!

few posts - many pms!
cut & paste spamming!

You've posted some good ideas there.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)