Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Hi everyone
I am the new webmaster for the site syngnathid.org and we were hacked last year frown Only a minor thing, but still a big pain! Given the age of our version, I think that's how they got in wink

I want to go about upgrading to the latest version 7.1.1. What considerations should I be aware of? We currently don't have access to the Member Area, but I can organise subscription. Wondering whether I should have that done first, so I will be able to see what's in there to work with.

Any advice is greatly appreciated smile Thanks!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's not too hard to upgrade from that version. It's a two part upgrade process from that version. First, you'd download the 6.5.5 version, and you'd upgrade your current version to that. After that, you'd install version 7.1.1 and then use the available import script to import your data into it.

There is documentation available on the process and we do have upgrade services available if you need help doing the upgrade.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's not too hard to upgrade from that version. It's a two part upgrade process from that version. First, you'd download the 6.5.5 version, and you'd upgrade your current version to that. After that, you'd install version 7.1.1 and then use the available import script to import your data into it.

There is documentation available on the process and we do have upgrade services available if you need the help.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Off Topic.

That's weird.
The reason I upgraded to threads was because I was getting double posts on almost every posting.

I haven't had any double posts since I upgraded smile

Until today that is...

I got my first double post today using threads and curiously enough here is one on the ubbcentral website.

(Twilight zone theme music.....)

Funny thing is tho', every time I try to double post intentionally - I get the "this function is disabled" message.

Strange.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Ooops - my bad?

A few minutes on, I now see there is a slight difference in those postings.

Sorry frown

T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Thanks for the advice Rick.

Just working out the costs involved. Does this sound right?

Standard license $229 + Member Area Renewal $125 (or is member area access involved in a standard license?) + Upgrade install $149 (would there be additional charges for the two step process?)

Alternatively I can upgrade our license to silver for $300 (but do I need to have a member area renewal too?).

Sorry for all the questions! I want to be able to give an accurate costing back to the client.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you already have a license, all you have to do is renew it ($125).

If you choose to buy a new license, you do not need to renew member area access until you need it; a new license comes wiht a years worth of access.

If you're paying infopop/groupee to upgrade, then the $149 is correct as an additional cost.

If you upgrade your old license you don't have to buy a new one and you don't have to pay for additional time, as the added tme is added with the license upgrade.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Awesome, well we have a license already, it's just old. I'll let the clients know smile thanks much!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hehe a lot of people have old licenses, and think they need a new one, coarse, people like me are more than willing to help them part with their old one when they buy a new one :x...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Hehee, well thanks smile

T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Me again, just wanted to find out what the timeframe was for an upgrade by you guys? How long would it take, when would you start etc

Also, what kind of preparation do I need to do beforehand? Eg backups, inform users, close the forums etc.

Thanks!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The forums are user to user support; so the easy answer is that we have no idea how long it takes Groupee to preform an upgrade for users; this is more a question for the Sales portion of the support form.

As for prep, I'd make a backup, inform your webhost if you're on a shared server, alert your users (since your forum will be down).

T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
No worries, thanks - I'll ask the sales section for a timeframe smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 1,165 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29