Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
old hand
old hand
I've been playing with Threads for a while now, and am almost ready to test import my Classic board.

I've been dreading this part the most, as I have a lot of posts. tongue

Just to confirm, when I start the import process, my Classic board can stay open to users and run fine with no problems?

I just don't want anything I do to effect my live Classic board.

Is it correct to say that the only real concern is that when I want to go live with the imported board, I should consider closing my Classic board, so that I don't lose any new posts users made during the import process?

Also, I'm a little confused about the re-direct scripts I've read briefly about. When/how do those come into play when I'm ready to go live with Threads?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
Just to confirm, when I start the import process, my Classic board can stay open to users and run fine with no problems?
I wouldn't... Any new posts either won't come over or will not be linked to properly in threads.

Is it correct to say that the only real concern is that when I want to go live with the imported board, I should consider closing my Classic board, so that I don't lose any new posts users made during the import process?
well, when you go live, you'll want to close the old board, otheriwse people will be posting at the old site...

You use the redirect scripts to send users accessing the OLD forum location to the NEW one... You'd do this when your threads install goes live.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
I just want to do a test import, not go live with it yet.

I mainly want to see how long it takes, and how it goes, so I know what I'm in for when I'm ready to actually close down my Classic and do a final import to go live with Threads.

That said, my Classic won't be effected if I keep it open during a test import, correct?

Also, does the import put a significant load on my server that might alert my hosting company?

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Good luck Mitch I've just imported ours and apart from me wanting more info up front (like you), it went well.

For your info, our boards are 210000 posts, 13000 topics and 4800 members - it took just over 4 hours to import that lot.

As far as I am aware it did not create any server problems, though I wasn't really looking.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That said, my Classic won't be effected if I keep it open during a test import, correct?
correct

Also, does the import put a significant load on my server that might alert my hosting company?
also correct.

Willing, your stats arne't typical, for one you have a dedicated server :x...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
OK understood smile

old hand
old hand
Thanks for the info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, 1 invisible), 767 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29