Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi , this is another Chinese character related problem.
After upgrading , I cannot mail to user with Chinese display name.
Here is the screenshot , I don't know what it pops up , because it is bad encoded too. crazy

Attachments
289-pm.gif

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This looks like a javascript issue. I'll need to do some testing on my forum and see if I can figure out what's going on there.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What language encoding do you have set? I've been playing with the UTF-8 encoding and this seems to be working with these types of characters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My db is UTF8 encoded , and collations are all utf8_general_ci.
The web side encoding is Big5
(generic.php : $ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "BIG5"; )

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I switched the actual language encoding to UTF-8 and that's when I was able to actually send to people with chinese characters in their name. Well, that and changing htmlentities to htmlspecialchars. We'll be working to use UTF-8 as the default language encoding.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sounds good, I hear it allows the utilization of a buttload more characters than UTF16 and most of the iso charsets

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rick
I switched the actual language encoding to UTF-8 and that's when I was able to actually send to people with chinese characters in their name. Well, that and changing htmlentities to htmlspecialchars. We'll be working to use UTF-8 as the default language encoding.

Do you mean that I should also make my web page UTF8-encoded ?
So , I have to transfer my language files to UTF8 encoding ? (It is big5 encoded now)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi , after I upgrade to 7.1.1 , I still cannot send PMs to user with Chinese Display Name.
In 7.0.2 , there is a Javascript popup.
But in 7.1.1 , there is no error/warning message.

PS : All my web/db are UTF8-encoded.
WEB : UTF8
DB : utf8_general_ci
Attachments
421-cannotPM.gif

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could you go in and validate that the value for the "CHARSET" key in "languages/english/genaric.php" is "UTF-8" (by default it is "iso-8859-1")

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Could you go in and validate that the value for the "CHARSET" key in "languages/english/genaric.php" is "UTF-8" (by default it is "iso-8859-1")

I am using self-translated Chinese file.
In languages/zh_tw_utf8/generic.php :
$ubbt_lang['CHARSET'] = "utf8";
It doesn't work.
After changed to UTF-8 , still doesn't work.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
So then more issues than just charactersets wink... IMO whatever change to the pm system that happened in the 7.1 upgrade on the pm system should be rolled back; not being able to message staff/members kinda sucks...

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The PM method needs to be redone. A rollback to the old code won't work because there were bugs before as well. It's just a matter of ajax via xml doesn't like the special characters. I need to rewrite it so it just uses plaintext like the preview post feature.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh anything to make it work and I'll vote for that route lol... Luckily for us, updating the charset allows me to message my coadmins, so it's not forum threatening; but for others it's not so lucky

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi , it seems the problem comes from function checkUser(user) of pt.js
It seems unable to handle special characters correctly.
Because of this issue , I still cannot upgrade my community from UBBT 6.5 to 7.1

I think you should release a non-ajax version ASAP.
Thank you very much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29