Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#184502 05/19/2007 4:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Barb, one of my web site visitors, can't seem to Register for my forum. Every time she fills out the registration form, it says her username is taken. (She tried several different user names.) I checked, and none of them are taken. Why might this be happening, and what can I do to get her registered?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Well, it could be several things, generally these errors appear because of a duplicate:
a. Login Name
b. Display Name
c. EMail Address

Try to get an example of all 3 and check all 3 against the current list of users. Also check if you have anything in the reserved names or banned email addresses sections.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
I checked all of those items before writing to you. That email address is definitely not a registered user. Neither her user name or her screen name is taken.

Checked my banned list. Only have 8 email addresses in there. None of them are hers. I don't have anyone on my reserved list.

I asked her if she had a firewall turned on. She said she turned it off and still could not register.

Any other ideas?

Her email address is: [email address removed to ensure user privacy]

and she tried to register with:

BarbieJean as her user name AND her display name

http://www.getorganizednow.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Last edited by Gizmo; 05/20/2007 7:00 PM.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Probably need a support ticket with admin info to your forums so we can actually login and look at a few things.

Rick #184669 05/24/2007 11:38 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Rick,

Ok, how can I open a support ticket. I just got a similar note from another visitor this morning (see below):

____
Hi. I'm trying to register and fill out all the required fields, leaving all of the optional information blank and I get a message that I cannot proceed because I have not filled out the form completely.

Stumped.
Barbara
Email Address: [email protected]
____

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you.

Maria Gracia

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Top Left in the Site Links Box
click on Members Area wink

You need your licence and password smile


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark S #184672 05/24/2007 11:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Quick fix ;

Go into the control panel
and change the required to optional.

But first make a note of what you had selected as required
so Rick can narrow down the bug.

I always find it easier to try and register myself,
then i can try to point support in the right direction.

I do this now after any upgrades.

Hope that helps


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 243
Likes: 1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 243
Likes: 1
Maria,

I logged into your board and tried to register using "BarbieJean". Unfortunately it worked! I am member 1803 on your board. So please delete me. I used BarbieJean for all the names. Either the problem has been fixed, or the real BarbieJean was doing something different.

And by the way, when you search for members on the board, capital vs lower-case letters appear to cause the search to NOT find people. Try searching for known people, and you will see what I mean.

I think if there is a bug in there, it is due to case sensitivity.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 52
journeyman
journeyman
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 52
Maria,

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I wonder if this user was remembering to click the "I agree" to your rules? This just happened to me several times when I tried to register here!


Cara-
Community Producer at:
Canadian Parents.com Message Boards
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
I put a little 1,2,3 advice in my forum rules.

1. Check that you have ticked the agree button.
2. if the images fail they change the next time.
3. The images are not case sensitive
4. click on the images to get a new set if you cant read them grandma

lol

Somthing like that any way lol


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark S #184982 05/28/2007 10:54 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks for all your help. I opened a support ticket today.

Maria


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (CESEREL, Geoff, Gizmo), 765 guests, and 133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)