Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
old hand
old hand
Let's say you leave your Classic board open during a long import.

If way into the import, it finally gets to a forum, will it grab posts that were posted while the import was going on for the earlier forums, or will it only grab the ones up until the time the import started?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It goes on a per forum basis, so if it hasn't imported the forum where the new post has been made, then it will pick it up. If it's already imported that forum, it will not however.

One thing to note, importing while the forum is open may lead to some problems, not too bad on classic since it's flat files, but it still will be opening/parsing a lot of files during the import which may cause problems for those that are trying to use the open forums.

old hand
old hand
Rick, when I do the import before going live to my users, I'm trying to decide what to do:
1. Leave my Classic board open (I know posts made during the import won't make it over)
2. Leave my Classic board open as read-only, where no one can create new posts or reply
3. Close my classic board entirely to viewing

Which do you recommend?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The safest thing would be #3, and it's always the option I take when doing classic upgrades. I think even with #2 some files get written to while the user is browsing the forum even if they can't write. That's what potentially leads to problems is if a file is being written to at the same time it's trying to be imported.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I vote #3, but if it's a necessity for it to be open, the best chance for the least ammount of heartache I'd go #2, but DEFINATELY NOT #1 lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Thanks guys. After 6 years of being open 24/7, I think the users can step away from their computers during this process. I'll go with #3.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I sense another "We're down for maintenance, go outside and get some sun" closed message lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 1,165 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29