Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It really depends on what people are looking for when they import. For those looking at switching over, what do you consider a bare minimum of what needs to be imported? Besides the obvious of categories, forums, users and posts wink

Rick #185813 06/06/2007 12:44 PM
E
E Offline
Good question, sir. Yes, the basics would be good and/or the option to choose what comes over would be best. Mainly and this again is just me/us, I'm interested in upgrading our current UBB board to the latest, then bringing over JUST the posts and forums actually from a vB forum. We're thinking about going from public to more private. We have two boards (one vB) and two different user databases, etc. and I'm thinking about consolidating to just UBB -- but not bring over vB users. We'd keep the posts that are already there and bring in the vB posts as "archives" so to speak. Maybe the vast majority of posts would not have usernames you couldn't click on or use, since we'd hold off on importing them, but at least we'd have everything still.

Hope that makes some sense and helps. Thanks, Rick.

Last edited by EarleW; 06/06/2007 3:31 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think that these are requirements:
users
profile data
forums
categories
basic permissions (admin's, mod's)

Then more "percs":
pm's
polls
extended permissions (individual categories)
user titles

Can't expect you to take EVERYTHING into account, something basic to get folks moved in though wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Most won't be able to move if their forum is of any size and they have private forums... ever set individual forum permissions on a few thousand people manually? wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, with the phpbb importer lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
E Offline
Is there a latest and greatest on the vB import?

Thanks. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
7.2 is almost out of the woodworks, and i believe Rick's planning to re-visit them once final is out.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, as soon as 7.2 is out the door, I'll be back on the vb importer and will get it finished up before working on anything else.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Thanks for the update smile

E
E Offline
Ah. Good to hear and know. Thanks for the update.

E
E Offline
Any new updates?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Some progress. I've been working on the 7.2.1 update, but working on the importer as well. I have the users/groups/categories/forums portion done. Now it's a matter of topics/posts/polls.

A couple things I've run into so far. vb does a double encryption with a salt on all of the user passwords. For that reason, the passwords can't be imported (they are, but they don't work). So, everyone will need to request a temporary password after the import has finished.

So far I haven't been able to import the group/forum permissions. I'm not sure if I'll be able to resolve this one. If not, then forum permissions will need to be set once the import is done as well.

Once 7.2.1 is out in final then I'll work on getting this finished up.

Rick #194340 08/13/2007 11:53 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
vb does a double encryption with a salt on all of the user passwords.
IIRC this was how CC wanted to handle things in threads; and is done to avoid those "md5 dictionary" sites... In fact, I wish .T7 did this for user security :/...

E
E Offline
Thanks much for the update, Rick.

And I hear ya on the passwords. vB is tough on that. Even admins can't see the passwords.

At least for me, I'd really be looking to just get posts/threads and the forums. I have a UBB I'd update to the newest version, then I'd simply bring over/merge all the posts from a vB board into the UBB. No users, though the original posters names would still be nice to have at least rather than "Guest".

I'll keep my fingers crossed. smile

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just an update on this. Things are coming along pretty nicely now. Besides the couple issues I mentioned, everything else seems to be going well. I have posts being imported properly now, and I'm working on the polls, attachments and private messages.

Rick #195223 08/25/2007 10:29 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Thanks for the update smile smile

E
E Offline
Great to hear, Rick. Thanks for the update. smile

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We're actually just about ready to start beta testing the importer. Let me know if you're interested in giving it a test drive.

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
We're actually just about ready to start beta testing the importer. Let me know if you're interested in giving it a test drive.
I'll give it a try.

E
E Offline
Just saw the update about testing it. Thanks much for the offer. Might be better if we wait since our UBB is tied into a registration process with our main site so maybe better if we try all once all the bugs are ironed out so we don't throw anything off.

But look forward to see & hearing more. Thanks again.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, you can install a seperate ubb install to test the importer; the more users we have to test the importers the better testing can be done and bugs end up ironed out. Most of the beta testers don't use competing products so it's quite difficult for us to test them how they'd need to be tested (in fact, i was the only user testing the phpbb importer when it was initially worked on, hence why it's the onlyone that's been complete for some time)

E
E Offline
Okay, I gotta ask since it's been awhile. Any updates? smile

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well, if you're willing to be a guinea pig wink It's tested pretty much as good as we can, now we just need some testing from others.

E
E Offline
Ah, gotcha. Well, the board I help out with is on a shared server and doing any kind of updates, imports, tests, etc. is very difficult to almost impossible at times. If the owner decides to go through with this then we'd literally have one shot at doing it, since in the past any updates or imports have usually updset our hosting company, unfortunately. We'd literally do it once and then walk away with probably a warning. smile

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for now. Thanks for the update though.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, most webhosts are understanding when you email them in advance with your intentions. When they randomly login and see a huge load they get worried that a user site has been exploited.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If possible and your site is not too large maybe using a backup copy of the site, set it up on your local computer and try a conversion locally..

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
yeh, that too is a great idea; as i'm sure your local PC has more resources than what your webhost has available (at least in SD's case)

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
muhahaha.. i guess i should post my SysMark scores laugh

SD #199459 10/17/2007 12:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Please do, then maybe I'll post mine grin

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I need to run that on our server too smile

I can test it as well Rick.

- Allen
E
E Offline
Any kind of final word on the vB import feature? (Sorry again, I can't test it myself, just not set up to do that nor am I skilled enough.) crazy

Last edited by EarleW; 11/05/2007 9:34 PM.
SD #201204 11/13/2007 11:26 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Sirdude
muhahaha.. i guess i should post my SysMark scores laugh

That's not available free? Looks like a $499 app - don't really care what the sysmark is if that's true wink

- Allen
E
E Offline
So is the importer finished for vB forums? Is it part of the lastest update or is it still being beta tested?

Still curious. Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The current set of code for 7.2 is in beta as per rick's statement before in this thread; however there is a huge jump from 7.2.2 to 7.3 in the permission scheme area so i'd immagne it'd have to be worked again to properly function with 7.3

E
E Offline
Yeah. Understood it was in beta but didn't understand how long it would be.

But now you're saying there is or will be 7.3 but it's going to have to be redone? Geez. So any idea from you or Rick when it will actually be functioning so we could put the update/change over on our calendar? A month away? Six months away? A year?

The original discussion & request started a year & three months ago.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
well actually, the importer is working / semi-working from what i've seen Rick say for 7.2.2

sooo, maybe for short term, there would be a path like:

vbull -> 7.2.2
7.2.2 -> 7.3

this is just my opinion though and Rick would be the best replier here wink

2c

SD #201392 11/15/2007 12:28 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What I was saying before (as SD reiterated) is that the CURRENT VERSION of the importer is in beta (as in it does import data) however the perm schema for 7.3 will require it to be reworked for 7.3; your best bet is, as SD said, to "beta" the importer to get your data into 7.2.2 then when 7.3 is out, upgrade to that (from 7.2).

The main reason for the permission overhaul to 7.3 is to allow more fine tuned permissions, which make "Pay-To-Subscribe" forums and "Global Moderators" a reality.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I've tested the VB importer as much as I can with my test data, now just need someone to take the leap and try it with their own data.

All of the importers are going to need to be adjusted for the 7.3 version, so that's not too big of a deal.

Rick #201430 11/15/2007 12:39 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I can give it a whirl... let me at it smile

- Allen
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Allen, I'll stick it into the private beta tester download directory today.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29