Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hi there.

How can I create a private forum especially for my moderators so that the public cannot see the forum but we can all meet weekly to discuss forum status, new features, board rules problems, etc...?

[Linked Image from shorthandclasses.com]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Easy, create a new forum, and on the permissions tab only allow admin's and moderators, then go in and edit each moderators account and allow them access to the new forum.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Thanks. I understand all of that and it surely works but...

I really don't want the public to SEE the forum listed at all. I'm afraid if they see it listed, they will feel left out or offended that moderators are meeting privately.

I thought if I disabled the forum, it wouldn't appear to the public...which is true...just what I want. But doing this doesn't allow anyone to FIND the forum. If I can't see it or locate it, I can't enter.

I thought there was a way I could have a private forum for my moderators but not visible to the public. I think what you are telling me is that it must be visible to enter the forum, but that the access to open the forum and view it is not capable bythe public.

Am I assuming correctly? In other words, there is no way to truly make it invisible to the public since if this were so, not even the moderators could find it. Am I right?

Thanks. Bye now,
Ms. Letha

Okay, I think I understand now.

When I logged out and then tried to open the forum as a guest or visitor (without loggin in), I could not SEE the Private Forum I created.

When I logged in again, I could see it just fine and was able to access it freely. I think this is what you mean.

Is it? Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When they don't have permission to access the forum, they don't have permission to SEE the forum... Ever... They won't know its there, unless someone tells them it's there.

If they have access to enter the forum, they will see it no problem.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Trixie
I'm afraid if they see it listed, they will feel left out or offended that moderators are meeting privately.

I think 9 out of 10 forums have private forums for moderators/admins.

We have 4 in total, talk about everyday moderation stuff, a seperate forum te handle all our e-mail communications, a forum for the techies and one special forum where each topic automaticly pops up in our FAQ.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
i have several, a VIP, a Staff, a BoneYard, and a place to discuss where the site is heading and to share code with my admin's...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Easy, create a new forum, and on the permissions tab only allow admin's and moderators, then go in and edit each moderators account and allow them access to the new forum.

why would you have to edit EACH moderator? seems to me, that on my board i just let 'moderators' have access and they get axx by being a moderator..

i'm assuming that you aren't giving each moderator the ability to actually moderate that forum... hehe

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
when you select to allow moderators to enter the forum, i believe it's moderators of that forum. Adding each user individually ensure that they have access

Thank you Gizmo for being patient; thanks for answering my question. This area definitely makes sense now.

Gotta go,
Ms. Letha
Rye, Co
ShorthandClasses.Com

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
when you select to allow moderators to enter the forum, i believe it's moderators of that forum. Adding each user individually ensure that they have access

nope, that's not the case. unless you and i have two different versions of ubbt711 and/or ubbt65x. mine is setup as i described and i saved the hassle of having to visit each moderator's settings.

moderators are moderators and they don't have to be moderating the specific forum to be in it.

matter of fact, i had a real world case recently, where i had a forum called 'alcatraz', where people were put in for being 'bad'. i initially allowed the general category 'moderators' access, but that sucked, because they were ganging up on the offender.

so to solve the problem, i removed 'moderators' from access and only allowed a specific group 'alcatraz wardens' (who were moderators btw) to be in there. so even though i didn't allow 'moderators', the group 'alcatraz wardens' overrode it.

2c

How do you create a special forum where each topic automatically pops up in your FAQ? Is the special forum titled "FAQ"?

Please explain.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I'm afraid if they see it listed, they will feel left out or offended that moderators are meeting privately.

I think 9 out of 10 forums have private forums for moderators/admins.

We have 4 in total, talk about everyday moderation stuff, a seperate forum te handle all our e-mail communications, a forum for the techies and one special forum where each topic automaticly pops up in our FAQ.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude

nope, that's not the case. unless you and i have two different versions of ubbt711 and/or ubbt65x. mine is setup as i described and i saved the hassle of having to visit each moderator's settings.

moderators are moderators and they don't have to be moderating the specific forum to be in it.

matter of fact, i had a real world case recently, where i had a forum called 'alcatraz', where people were put in for being 'bad'. i initially allowed the general category 'moderators' access, but that sucked, because they were ganging up on the offender.

so to solve the problem, i removed 'moderators' from access and only allowed a specific group 'alcatraz wardens' (who were moderators btw) to be in there. so even though i didn't allow 'moderators', the group 'alcatraz wardens' overrode it.

2c

indeed - if the group has rights then they will see the forum smile

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
How do you create a special forum where each topic automatically pops up in your FAQ? Is the special forum titled "FAQ"?

Please explain.

Thanks.

I was wondering that smile He is using a different FAQ script for starters smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nightcrawler, Outdoorking, 1 invisible), 818 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29