|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
UBB did our initial installation and I would like to take a crack at installing the 7.1.1 upgrade. Our current version is 7.0.2.
I'm stuck right off the bat. 1. The instructions say to upload all files AND directories... There were no directories in the ZIP file. Did I miss something? 2. The upgrade instructions have me search for ...forums/install/upgrade.php. There is no install directory on my site.
Based on these two very basic obstacles, am I to assume that I really have no business attempting the upgrade on my own, or are these fairly typical questions for someone who just isn't that familiar with the UBB upgrade process? I would like to learn how to do this myself so that I can keep the site as current as possible (I want to learn how to fish, not just buy a fish), but I also don't want to put the site at risk.
Thanks,
Bill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
1. The instructions say to upload all files AND directories...
That sounds like its describing a clean isntall as you would never ever overwrite ALL files as some file contain your existing settings.
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
The zip file of 7.1 needs to be unziped to your machine locally.
Once that is done, you will see a folder called Install, this folder contains the instructions and upgrade scripts that need to run.
Your not seeing a install folder as the instructions recommended that you delete that folder after the upgrade.
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
Addict
|
|
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684 |
The unzipped zip is 3.79MB. The install directory/folder is in the download. You upload it once with each new upgrade, set the correct permissions on it, then run it from your browser. When the upgrade is done, you delete the entire install folder from your webserver.
You might want to consider putting up a private/offline test forum as practice before updating your live forum. You can always delete it after you get the hang of this.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
To all who responded...
Apparently, I didn't extract the files from the ZIP file correctly. I've now done that and see directories.
Regarding a test forum, since I didn't do the original installation myself, I'm not sure how to do this now, but it sounds like a good idea. Can I do that with the files I've got with the upgrade, or do I need to start from scratch?
Thanks again,
Bill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
Okay before you start thinking Test Forum etc. Have you, can you backup your forums and your database.
This is your only way back if things go wrong, can you / have you done that?
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
Okay before you start thinking Test Forum etc. Have you, can you backup your forums and your database.
This is your only way back if things go wrong, can you / have you done that? I'm doing that right now.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
Okay Bill, I have to go out, but what will help you is this topic. Click Me NOTE : when upgrading close your forums to your members 
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
Thanks, Mark.
BTW, I have closed the forum.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
It seems as though I successfully upgraded the site. One place where I screwed up was that I executed install.php instead of upgrade.php. This wiped out some of my settings, but, fortunately, not any of the important stuff.
Thanks for the help,
Bill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057 |
Well done  Check the permissions via the control panel And try to register as a new member. To make sure it happy for all. Sorry should have mentioned upgrade and not install 
BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1 People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60
journeyman
|
|
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 60 |
Well done  Check the permissions via the control panel And try to register as a new member. To make sure it happy for all. It's a closed forum, so when new members are added (and can't be), I'll be the first to know Sorry should have mentioned upgrade and not install  No problem. I should have read upgrade and not install. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 465 Likes: 1
Addict
|
|
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 465 Likes: 1 |
It seems as though I successfully upgraded the site. One place where I screwed up was that I executed install.php instead of upgrade.php. This wiped out some of my settings, but, fortunately, not any of the important stuff.
Thanks for the help,
Bill Yes you use the install.php instead of the upgrade.php you will wipe out your config.inc file and have to reset all of your original settings.
Happy Customer !!!
|
|
|
|
1 members (1 invisible),
347
guests, and
100
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|