Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
LMG
stranger
stranger
L Offline
OK I have just sold our Board of Directors, on which I serve, on buying UBB Threads Dboard. I have been managing another different Dboard, the last UBB Classic, happily for 8 years.

However a BIG function seems to be missing from Threads. Perhaps I have just not found it yet but I really need to have this in place or the board is not going to work for us.

Formerly, in 'Classic' I could make specific forums available to only specific registered members in a private forum. Admin would click on a list of forums in each member profile to 'allow access' specified forums.

We need to create a dedicated forum for each department that allows access to only those people in those departments. Can I do this on Threads? and how do I do it? And if that is not already in the program, can it be added?

Last edited by LMG; 07/01/2007 10:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
You have to create a Group. ( Control Panel / Group Management / Group Editor )

You can then assign access rights to each forum for that group.

Then, in Member Management, select the user you want to add to that group and enable it it the Permissions area.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Instead of setting a "per forum basis" like in classic, you have "groups" in threads; users can be assigned to groups, and groups can be assigned to private forums; all of which making things a lot easier to manage (and basically working the same way classic did things).

Your best bet, go into the groups section; create a group for every department, then when creating forums, assign those groups to access their appropriate forums.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
also keep in mind the hardwired group 'users' and 'guests' .. you'll have to toss them out of any private forums..

lotta peeps forget about them...

2c

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, good point... I was under the impression that the default was to be changed to no nothing for anyone in 7.2; but it's not the case

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
:flex: © Gizmo wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey, thats my :flex:™

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 925 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29