Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#190082 07/05/2007 1:24 PM
stranger
stranger
can somebody tell me why should I choice UBB and not IPB or vB ? confused

Last edited by Huliganin; 07/05/2007 1:28 PM.
only you can decide that to be honest.

I'm happy with it smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark S #190086 07/05/2007 1:54 PM
stranger
stranger
by testing different forums , I like UBBs structure , but I think vB is more stable ... is that true ? confused

Mark S #190087 07/05/2007 1:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think he is looking for more of a list of PROS vs. CONS between them.

I'll leave that to someone like Gizmo or Rick

Yes I too like UBBT enough that I bought it.

ntdoc #190089 07/05/2007 1:57 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ntdoc
I think he is looking for more of a list of PROS vs. CONS between them.

exactly cool

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This is a very subjective question, so it makes it a bit hard to answer. We've never done comparison charts against other software, because honestly, comparison charts usually misrepresent the competition, unless you are extremely familiar with their software.

So, honestly, I can't say why it's better than VB or IPB, since I don't know much about either product.

As for stability. We're just about 10 years old and we have a pretty large customer base, so I don't really think stability is an issue.

I could rattle off some of our features, but you'll find that on our feature list page, minus the new stuff in this version like the built-in gallery.

As you can see, I'm not a sales person, just the developer. We try and focus more on what our existing customers want/need rather than what will attract new customers in mass. So, that is one of our PROs I guess is that we really try to listen to our current customer base and what they want.

Rick #190095 07/05/2007 2:29 PM
stranger
stranger
the best feature Ilike of UBB is then when you have a new post reply , and you click on the topic it sends you directly to the new post , and not to the page as IPB and vB cool

maybe you should put that features in the list wink

Last edited by Huliganin; 07/05/2007 2:46 PM.
old hand
old hand
Both products have very robust features. When you step back from all of the features, there is the general, overall look of the forum. No matter how much you customize each kind of board, you can usually tell the difference when you first visit a board. I like the look of Threads over VB.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ease of use overall. I participate on a couple other boards that are not UBBT and they work okay but are not as easy overall and esthetically pleasing as UBBT

The other boards do not have an easy if at all way to ever converse with someone actually doing the coding. You can talk to people that are Tech Support in the forum and they will "pass the information along" - (yeah right), but here you can actually get a response typically in a very short time from the developer.

That alone is a BIG difference worth it to myself and many. It gives you more of a feeling of (I belong to a group that does want to share and help each other rather than I'm just a customer).

ntdoc #190119 07/05/2007 7:43 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why is UBB better than vBulletin? Have you read their faq; vBulletin was initially based off of the UBB, it states it in plain text... Now, obviously infopop was doing something right if they had to do a php port of UBB.Classic to sell to customers...

Plenty of companies have done something similar either from UBB.Classic or UBB.Threads and now run fairly popular forum titles, but if you get down to the nitty gritty, a part of the UBB can be found in their core; it is UBBCode for a reason ya know...

Why the UBB?
Caching
Quick Reply
Excellent developer who LISTENS to his customers and is extremely helpful
Friendly member base
CSS Styling System
AJAX functionality
Gallery forums
Non-encoded source (Some forum titles encode their php sourcecode in either IonCube or Zend; evidently they don't want people stealing their work that they stole elsewhere lol)
Upcoming permission system enhancements (slated for 7.3)
Upcoming payment system (slated for 7.3)
Upcoming video blogging options (slated for 7.3; a mod for this can be found over at ubbdev anytime)

I could probably go on for hours wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #190172 07/06/2007 4:56 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Right now, I wouldn't consider using anything else (for MY money!)

I work on other sites that use other products - but I've found nothing to compare with Threads.

...and the speed at which you'll get you questions responded to, is second to none!

driv #190174 07/06/2007 6:56 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by driv
...and the speed at which you'll get you questions responded to, is second to none!

I, have, no life... :sulks:

Anyone know of any decent scripting gigs? :X... must, entertain, self...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #190257 07/06/2007 7:55 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Why is UBB better than vBulletin? Have you read their faq; vBulletin was initially based off of the UBB, it states it in plain text... Now, obviously infopop was doing something right if they had to do a php port of UBB.Classic to sell to customers...

Plenty of companies have done something similar either from UBB.Classic or UBB.Threads and now run fairly popular forum titles, but if you get down to the nitty gritty, a part of the UBB can be found in their core; it is UBBCode for a reason ya know...

Why the UBB?
Caching
Quick Reply
Excellent developer who LISTENS to his customers and is extremely helpful
Friendly member base
CSS Styling System
AJAX functionality
Gallery forums
Non-encoded source (Some forum titles encode their php sourcecode in either IonCube or Zend; evidently they don't want people stealing their work that they stole elsewhere lol)
Upcoming permission system enhancements (slated for 7.3)
Upcoming payment system (slated for 7.3)
Upcoming video blogging options (slated for 7.3; a mod for this can be found over at ubbdev anytime)

I could probably go on for hours wink

thanks for the nice review wink

so , I'll wait until 7.3 comes out - when will it be ? confused

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
7.2 is in public beta right now; 7.3 won't be for several months yet (lots of work to do on it yet)

Gizmo #194944 08/22/2007 5:20 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Gizmo

Is there a thread on here or on Infopop with the history/timeline of the development of Classic & Threads? Would be cool to see.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That would be an intersting read... Are you talking more adding features/changelog or what mitch?

Gizmo #194950 08/22/2007 5:32 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm thinking more about the date Classic was first launched, when Threads was launched, major product revisions, when Eve came about, the coming and goings of key developers, etc. Milestones in the history of Infopop products.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A lot of that can actually be found on Wikipedia; suprisingly I got bored and was poking around the last couple weeks...

Look at:
wwwthreads
infopop
groupee
ubb classic (ubb.classic)
ubb threads (ubb.threads)
eve

And you can get a lot of the info on dates.

Gizmo #194953 08/22/2007 5:41 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
That's probably something I should get into the website at some point, at least the whole WWWthreads -> UBB.threads timeline. It's been 10 years now since this program was born, so lots of history.

Rick #194954 08/22/2007 5:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
would love yo see it all wink

Rick #195750 08/29/2007 11:40 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Rick
As you can see, I'm not a sales person, just the developer. We try and focus more on what our existing customers want/need rather than what will attract new customers in mass. So, that is one of our PROs I guess is that we really try to listen to our current customer base and what they want.

Oh my .. if only OTHER software companies based their development on that focus. In my opinion, if you listen to the current customer base, you'll get it right for new customers too.

Rose #195753 08/29/2007 11:48 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i will second (or third?) what rose/rick said.

i at first, offered to help the competitors and both turned a cold shoulder. this was when i was in my 'searching for something fun to code with' phase.

then along comes THIS forum and i did one mod for a customer.

and the clincher, right outta the box for me was the almost immediate response to my offer of help from rick to the effect of 'sure, that would be nice...' (paraphrase)..

that alone got me hooked. i now want to see this product succeed and kick arse..

Gizmo #196279 09/04/2007 10:54 PM
old hand
old hand
I think the key for me is that UBB is responsive to what the user actually want. Of course not every feature that every person wants is going to make it into the software, but I think that UBB development is much more tuned to what the user base wants than probbaly any other software I've seen. Just my 2 cents (I've been a very satisfied Threads user for may years).

Basil

Basil #200852 11/07/2007 7:27 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
UBB is way better than VB or IBP in my opinion abut the STEEEP price tag of UBB does not justify the value for money.

InfoPop should seriously consider revising the price if they really want to take UBB again to its old glowry

Sagar #200854 11/07/2007 7:51 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When they combined feature sets (and effectively sent UBB.C out to pasture) I was hoping the price tag would have at least stayed at UBB.C prices; couldn't really see why they'd want to force the threads price on a product that people where leaving due to development time frame concerns and EOL notices...

Gizmo #200863 11/07/2007 11:42 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
One thing to keep in mind, no matter what we add, it's going to be in the base product and you're not going to have to buy it. Sure, with IPB you can get a photo gallery addon, but it costs extra. VB offers the blog feature now, but you have to buy that as an extra.

We've added the photo gallery and we'll be adding blog features as well, and it will come with your license, we won't market it as a new product that you have to purchase separately.

Rick #202919 12/10/2007 12:45 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
One thing to keep in mind, no matter what we add, it's going to be in the base product and you're not going to have to buy it. Sure, with IPB you can get a photo gallery addon, but it costs extra. VB offers the blog feature now, but you have to buy that as an extra.

We've added the photo gallery and we'll be adding blog features as well, and it will come with your license, we won't market it as a new product that you have to purchase separately.

... and vBulletin is offering social networks, customized CSS-based profiles, and an photo album for users. Are you planning to add these features? This is one main reason I might choose vBulletin over Ubb for my project.

- Pc

Pc1203 #202928 12/10/2007 11:12 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
those won't be in 7.3, although what the heck is a CSS-based profile? sounds like some marketting lingo for nothing special.

SD #202930 12/10/2007 12:12 PM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
It is a method to customise your profile within the forum - so when people look at it, then they see your own colour or background image and font scheme etc.

I think they do this in conjunction with the gallery for each member.

Ian #202934 12/10/2007 1:17 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
ah oh.. so it's a MyPage kinda dealio with some custom formatting crapola..

SD #202980 12/10/2007 7:50 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I don't really see it as anything special at all... at least not in the reign of being a decision maker for a forum product... if you ask me, stability is far more important...

Gizmo #224054 03/13/2009 11:52 AM
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
[Edited by Gizmo: Thanks for the spam, but I think I'll remain a loyal UBB fanboy; especially since the competitors are nothing but cloners] (linking to his own forum, as advertising for another company, on first post, is a nono).

Last edited by Gizmo; 03/13/2009 2:48 PM.
GGbercy #224055 03/13/2009 12:11 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Most people that use this software want to have it on their own sites or servers. Remotely managed and controlled message boards are becoming a thing of the past for the more advanced sites.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29