Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#191693 07/18/2007 4:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
I've just been landed with Vista business as opposed to the XP pro I asked for.

I have to network it with about 10 XP machines and a couple of ME's. The Vista box is just powering up as I type this.

Anyone had any problems with sharing files etc?
Isn't XP FAT? and Vista NTFS (or something?)

Yes, I know I could (and will) Google - but I'd like to hear personal experiences from you guys if possible laugh

Thank yee one and all.... laugh laugh laugh

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
They all support FAT16, FAT32 but Windows NT,2000,XP,2003,VISTA all should be run using NTFS otherwise there is no file security.

In a Workgroup they will all share files/folders with each other no problem as long as you have Client For Microsoft Networks installed and you actually share a folder. Not great security but better than nothing.

What is the bigger picture here, ie. what do you want to do and accomplish in the long run. Can you share files? Yes very easily. Can you manage the other machines, NO, not easily like you can on a Domain Network. Still possible via some remote scripts and tools but again it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Thanks for that ntdoc.

File sharing is what I meant. Although, now you mention it... what do you mean by 'manage the machines'?

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Determine who can login, when they can login, install software as a policy, modify registry settings remotely, shut down, restart, etc...

On a network you can manage a remote desktop computer almost as though you were sitting at the machine. A lot more work to do anything like it in a Workgroup.

Most small places with 10-15 machines and not a big budget try to make the Workgroup model work for them, but as it starts to get bigger it becomes more difficult to manage when not on a real network.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Most small places with 10-15 machines and not a big budget try to make the Workgroup model work for them, but as it starts to get bigger it becomes more difficult to manage when not on a real network.

Yep - that's me smile

Originally Posted by ntdoc
NO, not easily like you can on a Domain Network. Still possible via some remote scripts and tools but again it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.


So when you say a 'domain network' - I take it, I would need a server of some sort?

Am I wrong in assuming that a regular pc will function as a server if it's not overtaxed? (ie that small 10-15 machine network.)

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Yep most small places do start out using a normal desktop computer as their Server.

But Windows 9x (95,98,ME) Can not join a Windows Domain so you would need to have all 2000,XP,Vista machines. A Windows 95 machine can access resources on the Domain but it can not join like a Window NT class system can.

A starting price though to get into the Windows Server realm is about $1,000 US Dollars

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx

But you should have someone on board with a pretty good knowledge of Windows networking otherwise it could be a bit rough.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Starting to make a lot more sense now smile

Can you suggest why I might need to move to a server/domain system rather than workgroup?

I know that we'd like to run a financial package on our own server but that's a Linux application. Could I use a Linux sever with a windows network? Or wouldn't that make sense?

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Yes, do a search on Google for Samba

When or why you would need to be on a server would be up to you. Basically when you get to a point where it is becoming difficult to manage running applications independently and you want to run them from a central location or manage files and permissions from a central location. How many people have a copy of the same file on different PCs and you can't reach it because the PC is off?

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Thanks ntdoc. The lightbulb over my head is glowing nicely now laugh

I think that I will have to start looking into this.

Soooh many questions....

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I <3 samba; it's how I do filesharing to my CentOS machine... Forgive me if i missed something, I didn't read any of this thread, and was heading to a new one when I saw Samba wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)