Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
I'm having a strange issue that I can't figure out.

I changed hosts a month ago.

I have two users claiming they can't get to my domain at all. They get a "page can't be displayed message."

Normally, I'd chalk it up to user error.

However, based on their IPs, I see they are using the same cable provider (Comcast). They are not showing as identical IPs, but both are Comcast.

I'm not blocking any IPs in my control panel or my htaccess file.

Any thoughts on what I could try to help these guys out?

I've tried everything I can think of: Had them flush their dns, try a different browser, clear their cache, cookies, etc.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
can they get to you with out the www. ?
and just http://


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
If they do a ping or host lookup on their computer for your domain, do they come up with the proper IP address for it? That's the first place to start, is to make sure they are getting the right IP. If they are running windows, just have them ping your domain name in a cmd window and see what they get back.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Thanks, I'll have them try a ping.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
On a Windows box

arp -d
ipconfig /flushdns

Then ping.

If needed

pathping or tracert

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Was about to suggest having them both DNS your site to ensure that the host change has propagated to their system; some isp's have a horrid cache time for dns updates...

And as a Comcast user, this wouldn't surprise me... It's why I use OpenDNS vs praying Comcast stays current with dns updates :/


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
One guy got back to me with his ping results:

"ping request could not find mydomain.com"

I've already had this guy try flushing his dns a while ago, no luck.

It's been over a month since I changed hosts, so I thought this would clear up by now.

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Was about to suggest having them both DNS your site to ensure that the host change has propagated to their system;

Gizmo, can you explain a little more what you mean, thanks.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
try having him ping www.yourdomain.tld

try having him ping the ip address of your site (that YOU KNOW is correct)

The first will see if it's a dns issue, the second will see if it's a networking or firewall issue.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Well one or two people is not YOUR issue (meaning that its not something on your end, rather its on their end)

What is the correct registered DNS and IP for the site in question?

Then how many people can not reach it and who is their ISP provider and in what region of the World.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 684
I'd try a proxy deal like Torpark to see if I can get in. If it's shared hosting, check with the server admin and ask if thos IPs aren't being blocked by the server firewall.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Harold
I'd try a proxy deal like Torpark to see if I can get in. If it's shared hosting, check with the server admin and ask if thos IPs aren't being blocked by the server firewall.


LOL - Well think Torpark is a bit advanced for average users. You could just as easily have Google do a proxy for you in a lot of cases.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Tell them how to modify the C:windows/system32/drivers/etc/host file and add your ip. Problem solved till your ip changes again.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Thanks Dave.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Modifying the host file worked, thanks again for the reminder Dave. I didn't even think of doing that, as I thought for sure Comcast would have updated by now. It's been over a month since I changed hosts. Good news is that my IP will not change.

Bad news is that the one user who is still locked out typically needs a lot of hand holding. I'm skeptical he'll be able to make this update on his own. We'll see.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Tell them how to modify the C:windows/system32/drivers/etc/host file and add your ip. Problem solved till your ip changes again.
WOW never new that one existed wink

Couldnt you just ask him to delete the file (That's if it would rebuild)

I have a
1.host
host

file too but suspect that's down to a xp manager crap program i had installed moons ago.
Strange as both of mine have not been modified since 2006 ?? What's that all about then ?



BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
1.host isn't in a normal installation. I don't know if it will rebuild and I wouldn't risk deleting it. Maybe rename it, just in case.

Course, they could also try opening a dos box and typing ipconfig /flushdns That's of it's cached locally and not something that comcast's dns server has cached.


This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
I'm skeptical he'll be able to make this update on his own. We'll see.

that's a job for kixtart script!!

/me looks @ nt wink

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Well could maybe be that he has not downloaded new root updates from Microsoft. I really doubt that Comcast is to blame for that long otherwise other servers would start blocking or bypassing them as unreliable.

No the HOSTS file will not rebuild on it's own, it is a static file that you edit on your own if needed.

Almost certain that it's something on his windows box.

I have scripts to rebuild the default AutoexecNT and ConfigNT if spyware or something else screws it up, but hosts file can contain many entries so just overwriting it is a bad move. You can easily edit it with a simple DOS redirect if needed in a batch file for those that have the folder hidden and can't find it.

I have a script that will do full backup if they have FULL access to the Windows OS.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm not saying it's all to blaime with comcast, but lets just say, I found them so unreliable I had to go elsewhere... They drop all the time which results in dns issues; they do their updates from 8p to 4a PST; which is my "business"/"coding" time, so it was also near impossible to get anything done lol...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
1.host isn't in a normal installation. I don't know if it will rebuild and I wouldn't risk deleting it. Maybe rename it, just in case.
cheers wink


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)