Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#193615 08/01/2007 5:46 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I'm looking to make my UBB forums look a little more web pagey (if that makes sense to anyone :P)

Heres a good example of what i'd like to do:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

The sidebar and images are really the sort of thing i want to do.

Could anyone give me a quick break down of what i need to know to do this, and possibly direct me to some good tutorials?

I suspect i'm going to need to know a little html or css?

Last edited by Atticus[New]; 08/01/2007 5:51 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
hmm, come to think of it, i have a feeling his site is actually all HTML, and he has the forums inserted into that? True? False?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, the top and left are an insert using tables (check out CP -> Display Options -> General -> HTML Includes Tab)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #193630 08/01/2007 9:22 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
So, it would be possible to build something like that using, say, dreamweaver and a graphic design program like Gimp or photoshop?

Another question is, I have a portal page which is linked to my news forum. Any post i make in the news forum gets displayed on the news page... etc... Is there any way for me to set like a front page?

What i'd like to do is have a static introduction, sort of like a home page that doesn't get updated via the news forum.

So, picture you go to my forum.

The first thing you see is "Welcome to bla bla bla bla bla bla bla," I'd like that all the be static then have a "portal" or "news" link that bring you to what is currently the front page (the portal page).

I know I can set a static box on top or below of the displayed stuff from my news forum, but i'd like them to be different pages. Is that at all possible?

That all probably seems confusing as hell, so if you don't understand what i'm getting at let me know and i'll try to clarify.

But, again, if theres a good user guide or tutorials on customising UBB forums, i'll gladly research this all myself, but i can't seem to find anything like that.

Last edited by Atticus[New]; 08/01/2007 9:23 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
1. yes, you can use a program to generate a table and customize the inserts to display the content.

2. The portal has a news system itself that you can use that works rather well; there are however items at ubbdev that allows you to use forums to generate news (see my UGN Security site in my signature for ane xample of forum content populating an external page).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #193633 08/01/2007 9:43 PM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
anywhere i can read about the portal news system?

Currently what i'm doing is: I have a forum called "news" that i have chosen to display posts from on the portal page, which seems to work pretty well in terms of displaying news, but what i'd like to do is have a page BEFORE the portal page for more static information that wont be updated often, without using an external site.

I'd like to stick with UBB exclusively. You're a huge help, btw. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Last edited by Atticus[New]; 08/01/2007 9:43 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Here we go... UBBcentral.com... Was your guys' front page made through the forums with inserts/etc? Or is that a purely css/html site with a link to your forums?

If it's the prior, how would i do that? Or where could i read about how to do that?

OK, thinking about it, that was a terrible question because ubbcentral.com is obviously not part of the forums.

Heres a better question. Is there any way to setup a SECOND portal page?

Last edited by Atticus[New]; 08/01/2007 10:09 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I think i found a way to do what i'm looking to do. thanks for all the help wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Atticus[New
]I think i found a way to do what i'm looking to do. thanks for all the help wink
no prob wink

Gizmo #194162 08/09/2007 1:01 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Well, make sure you tell us what you did.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,073 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29