Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
On my board, I have two issues that make me want to make the left & right columns invisible UNTIL the user logs in -- at which point they will be visible unless otherwise specified in the user preferences. I'd like to suggest this as an option for the following reasons:

(a) Some boards, like ours, are entirely private, and it is uncomfortable for users to have their usernames (top posters and who's online), topic titles, and shout box entries visible "to the world."

(b) Blind people with screen readers have troubles with the shout box. Apparently, the screen reader gets stuck on the shout box -- which prevents them from being able to tell where to log in. After they log in, of course, their preferences can be set to hide the left and right columns, and they don't have further problems.

I patched my site to remove the left & right columns for anonymous users, but hopefully this can be an option for the next version.

It would also be nice, in the spirit of confidentiality, to be able to disable the calendar for anonymous users.

Shane

RnJpZW5kc2hpcCB3aXRoIHRoZSB3b3JsZCBpcyBob3N0aWxpdH
kgdG93YXJkcyBHb2QuICBKYW1lcyA0OjQ=
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
What I did to remove the calendar from anonymous is throw it in the my stuff drop down.

journeyman
journeyman
Here are my notes, by the way, to hide the columns:

Add this code to ubbthreads.inc.php:

Code
  if (empty($user['USER_DISPLAY_NAME'])) {
   $config['LEFT_COLUMN'] = 0;
   $config['RIGHT_COLUMN'] = 0;
  }
Put it in the send_column function near the top
Also, here's a link to manually disable the guest calendar access:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/184025

Shane

L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Here's a beginner's question..
How do I adjust the php file?
Found it on the ftp server. Can open and adjust it, but can only save the file as a txt document?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When using notepad it will only allow you to save as a txt, what you do is save the file with extension with ""'s. So for example, if I want to create index.php I'd make "index.php" and notepad will allow it to save with the seperate extension.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
It worked, thanks a lot!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Shane
On my board, I have two issues that make me want to make the left & right columns invisible UNTIL the user logs in -- at which point they will be visible unless otherwise specified in the user preferences. I'd like to suggest this as an option for the following reasons:

I have a somewhat related question/suggestion.

Is there a way to have the the right column be displayed when a person is looking at the main list of forums, but once he clicks on a specific forum or topic the right column goes away?

Just a note : I find Google hooks up on the side island
more than the topics with in wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
old hand
old hand
Is there a way to have the the right column be displayed when a person is looking at the main list of forums, but once he clicks on a specific forum or topic the right column goes away?

Doubt it.

I have mine set so members can turn the right off if they wish
but my left is there always.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
old hand
old hand
I have mine set the same.

Although I hate to compare Threads to Vbulletin, it is one valuable feature I've noticed with it.

Once someone has seen what's in the right column, it's kind of old. I'd rather preserve the real estate across the page for a wider view of actual posts.

journeyman
journeyman
With 7.3, permissions can set the shout box to be invisible to guests. It would be nice if permissions are available to control whether or not guests can view the Who's Online list and etc. Until then, the above hack still works to hide the columns from guests, but you need to put it in libs\html.inc.php

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
having more granularity on not only columns, but individual portal boxes is something that wouldn't be too hard to do..

also, i'd even go so far as to really allow the users to choose where they want the boxes -- per se..

you (admin) would turn on the default boxes and columns (you even force certain ones for ad revenue), but the user could have a 'portal layout' mode with the boxes they have control over and make their own look..

also, having the user choose from a set of 'user custom islands' (for lack of a better word)... and it's akin to what we do with the bbcode tags now..

the admin sets up all the tags that can be used, and users choose from a menu.. the same wouild be done for the user, where they could choose from 'ubb widgets' or whatever.. to have their daily dilbert island or stuff like that..

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
having more granularity on not only columns, but individual portal boxes is something that wouldn't be too hard to do..

I also took a look at it, the work would be in creating the user menu's that allow them to select/create their custom columns. ubb-wise. Other then that, it's pretty easy.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29