Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
I need the commands that work with the new 7.2

1. Find out who posted and or registered from a certain IP

2. Find certain words in the PM database to see if somone is spamming or soliciting

3. To delete PM's containing a certain word

4. To delete all PM sent by a certain user

Does anyone have any good tip on how to prevent and eliminate Spam in PM's?

The censor feacture is pretty good... but how do you censor if people try to spell things different... like c e n s o r or
c
e
n
s
o
r

or how do you find out if those are being used in posts and PM's? The search feature can not look for c e n s o r

Thank you very much

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As an admin, viewing posts, users ip addresses should show to the left of the posting when you have the "CP -> Display Options -> General -> Primary Tab -> Topic Display Options Dropdown -:> IP Address Visibility" option enabled.

As for who registered from an IP, you can go to "CP -> Membership -> Member management -> View/Edit Members tab -> Advanced Search Options dropdown -> Last Post IP option"

2/3/4 don't exist, you'd have to craft a custom mysql query for each. Additionally threads has no way of monitoring pm's (although I've made numerous sugguestions to have a way for uwers to report abuse in pm's, it's been overlooked).

I'm hoping for some sort of "report spam" and/or "report abuse" option for PM's in the future, as it allows users to report spam and abuse to the admin; i'm quite suprised that something liek this isn't in the codebase, but everyone tends to whine "privacy" (eventhough the admin can do a one click "become this user")

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks
All those commands were available in older versions... i had them saved... but they got deleted when I upgraded...

I am looking for custom commands and tips not features available in the soft... this for 7.2

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i have a bunch of saved queries in my Database SQL (cpanel) world, but haven't had the time to post them (little lazy too wink )

i posted one (as a start) over Here

you might add yours to that list or solicit others and watch as they dribble in.. wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
or, if you'd like to see some added, give some hints on what you'd like to see done wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks
Why am I always being sent to UBBdev.com?
Is that site associated with this one?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's the modification site dedicated to threads hacking. Threads hacking is against the licensing agreement with Groupee (as modifying your forum can break your forum). So, obviously, code hacks aren't provided here.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Threads hacking is against the licensing agreement with Groupee (as modifying your forum can break your forum).

ehr, all php files say:

// Note: If you modify ANY code within your UBB, we at Groupee, Inc
// cannot offer you support -- thus modify at your own peril smile

You loose support, but it's not a violation against the licensing agreement. Oh well, would be a shame to use any of our 10 support units smile

I do agree that a forum that fixes your forum and a forum that breaks your forum are better to have seperate smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, by violating the license agreement, you're invalidating your support ability; as the license states support isn't provided with hacking, so technically it's still "violating" it, or at least waving it wink...

Who needs support units anyway, only reason to use those would be if you cared not to ask a question here or at ubbdev on the forums which is free wink...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I have never had any support units frown

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have 10 I think on ugn's license, then I have some on one of my others I think... Not sure what I would ever use them for lol...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
When I purchased my wwwthreads licence it didn't come with any support when Infopop took over. Likewise my other licences were originally classic ones and they never came with support either - AFAIK.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I want a wwwthreads license frown

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
so technically it's still "violating" it, or at least waving it wink...

You wave support, but your still allowed to use the product. And like you said, plenty of support here smile

Originally Posted by Ian
I have never had any support units frown

They were thrown into our lap when we upgraded to the gold license.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
not worth upgrading the wwwthreads licences to Gold - as although we get a discount for annual renewals - the price of a Gold licence is the full wack. So in effect it works out a lot more expensive per year.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hehe, i'll trade you one of my expireds for your wwwthreads wink...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
Threads hacking is against the licensing agreement with Groupee (as modifying your forum can break your forum).

ehr, all php files say:

// Note: If you modify ANY code within your UBB, we at Groupee, Inc
// cannot offer you support -- thus modify at your own peril smile

You loose support, but it's not a violation against the licensing agreement. Oh well, would be a shame to use any of our 10 support units smile

I do agree that a forum that fixes your forum and a forum that breaks your forum are better to have seperate smile

Oh, yes it is. I'd tell you to read the license again but I can't seem to find it on the website. It used to be on the documentation page.

Anyway... does it mean Groupee is going to yank the license right out from under anyone that modifies their own .threads? Well, obviously the fact that Rick and I post on UBBDev answer that. smile The protection is in there so that the right is reserved, but in my time with Groupee rarely used.

Support units are good to have if you need help with your board and can't handle it yourself. If you've added "hacks" to your board it's possible Rick could opt not to fix your board though. Or it could be that your support costs an extra unit or two. It's a case by case thing, really.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 09/13/2007 5:18 PM. Reason: I fail at copy/paste :(

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I want a wwwthreads license frown

Denied. Next!

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Oh, yes it is. I'd tell you to read the license again but I can't seem to find it on the website. It used to be on the documentation page.

It's in the members area...

7. Modifications to the Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License and during the effective term only of this License, You may alter and/or modify the Software and You may distribute or share any code modifications made by You in accordance with the terms set forth herein (independent of the Software, which may NOT be distributed or shared). You agree and acknowledge that any alteration or modification of the Software is made and used at Your own risk. No support is offered by Groupee for modified software. The foregoing restrictions shall survive the termination or expiration of this License.

So alteration is no violation.

If you've added "hacks" to your board it's possible Rick could opt not to fix your board though. Or it could be that your support costs an extra unit or two. It's a case by case thing, really.

I know. And basicly, if I ever have an unsolvable problem, first thing I would do is switch to the core code.

Bugreports that I post are also checked on a clean install when in doubt.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ah, you're right. I'm wrong. Don't tell Gizzy I said that.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> funny then, how my notices about violating your license was due to CC and DD referancing that... <snicker>

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Ah, you're right. I'm wrong. Don't tell Gizzy I said that.

Not telling Gizzy anything is a habbit you pick up pretty quick here at ubbcentral smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:cries: they're all being mean :'(...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Taylor
I need the commands that work with the new 7.2

1. Find out who posted and or registered from a certain IP

2. Find certain words in the PM database to see if somone is spamming or soliciting

3. To delete PM's containing a certain word

4. To delete all PM sent by a certain user

Does anyone have any good tip on how to prevent and eliminate Spam in PM's?

The censor feacture is pretty good... but how do you censor if people try to spell things different... like c e n s o r or
c
e
n
s
o
r

or how do you find out if those are being used in posts and PM's? The search feature can not look for c e n s o r

Thank you very much

Can anyone help with this?

journeyman
journeyman
It's the modification site dedicated to threads hacking. Threads hacking is against the licensing agreement with Groupee (as modifying your forum can break your forum). So, obviously, code hacks aren't provided here.

Not asking for any hacks
Just a few database commands and tips

How to use UBBthreads!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I posted responses to these before in this thread...

As an admin, viewing posts, users ip addresses should show to the left of the posting when you have the "CP -> Display Options -> General -> Primary Tab -> Topic Display Options Dropdown -:> IP Address Visibility" option enabled.

As for who registered from an IP, you can go to "CP -> Membership -> Member management -> View/Edit Members tab -> Advanced Search Options dropdown -> Last Post IP option"

2/3/4 don't exist, you'd have to craft a custom mysql query for each. Additionally threads has no way of monitoring pm's (although I've made numerous sugguestions to have a way for uwers to report abuse in pm's, it's been overlooked).

I'm hoping for some sort of "report spam" and/or "report abuse" option for PM's in the future, as it allows users to report spam and abuse to the admin; i'm quite suprised that something liek this isn't in the codebase, but everyone tends to whine "privacy" (eventhough the admin can do a one click "become this user")

journeyman
journeyman
That only gives you users with that registered and last posted from an IP. I need to find any user that posted from a certain IP

I know nothing about database co0mmand but I know the commands exist... I have used them... and threads has a place to enter the commands

Are those commands for sale only?

There use to be a long list of those commands posted by Josh but not sure if they work for the new version...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
for example:
Code
SELECT u.USER_ID,u.USER_DISPLAY_NAME,p.POST_ID,p.POST_SUBJECT,p.POST_POSTER_IP
FROM ubbt_POSTS p, ubbt_USERS u
WHERE u.USER_ID=p.USER_ID
  AND p.POST_POSTER_IP LIKE "78.20.1.170"
ORDER BY POST_POSTED_TIME DESC

selects all posts from that IP and orders them by most recent first.

you can play around with the LIKE syntax and do things like (no pun): LIKE "78.20.1.%" (wild card the last byte) or LIKE "78.20.1.17_" (wildcards the last character)

just google 'mysql LIKE syntax' for more possibilities smile

if you are a geek like me and really want to have more fun (evil grin) laugh use for example: REGEXP "78.[23]0.1.17[0-9]" and join the whacky world of 'regexes'.. that will match 78.20.1.170-179 and 78.30.1.170-179.. note regex notation in mysql is slightly different that what you might be used to in perl or php or for that matter any other regex engine

Good luck wink

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you
I wish I was a geek laugh

I do not like to play around with the commands. Anything could happen if you do. Do not have a test forum and any command I may run will affect my community one way or the other

In the older version, 6.5, you could

Find all PM's with a certain word
SELECT * FROM w3t_Messages WHERE M_Message LIKE "%anyword%"

Delete any PM with a certain word
DELETE FROM w3t_Messages WHERE M_Message LIKE '%anyword%'

Delete all Pm's older than 90 days
DELETE FROM `w3t_Messages` WHERE `M_Sent` < (UNIX_TIMESTAMP( NOW() ) - 90 * 24 * 60 * 60)

Do they work for 7.2 or better?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
sure, all that is currently possible too. the PM's are a little more involved with 7.2.2, because there are actually 3 tables involved.

so the 1st one is a no brainer (different syntax -- same idea), but your last two would also need to check how the overall private TOPIC and user(s) involved are affected by the deletion.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Plus you would need to check if you don't delete any unread PM's for the unread PM counter.

journeyman
journeyman
Lets try try again.
You have a bunch of PM spammers you have to deal with

You know what they promote so you censor a few key words to make it a bit more difficult, then they start changing the spelling from censored to c e n s o r e d

How can I censor words with spaces between the letters?

Then you want to know who they are so you can ban them

You need to find certain words in PM's
How do you find the PM's with those words?

Then you want to delete the spam...
How do you delete all PM's sent by a certain user?
How do you delete all PM's containing a certain word?

Then you need to find out what other usernames the spammers might be using

The best way for 7.2 which is great but frankly is lacking in basic troll control features

I have no understanding of code or how to modify commands so I need something that can be used with a simple "copy and paste"

I can't be the only admin needing those commands or having problems with trolls and PM spam.

Thank you

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, to match based on different formatting you'd have to use regex.

BTW, 7.2 has ultimately the same features as 6.x; so it's not lacking what wasn't there; the sql commands built by josh are standard sql commands, they'd have to be crafted/recrafted for any db changes (such as 7.2), you'd just have to add a bit more logic to them to be compatable with 7.x.

journeyman
journeyman
Does anyone know how to change the IP on all posts by a certain user?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
update ubbt_POSTS set POST_POSTER_IP='x.x.x.x' where USER_ID='y'

x.x.x.x = the new IP

y = the user id of the user to be changed.

W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
What does "Become this user" do? Will anyone know we are doing that (as admin?) And can we "undo it" (ie. un-become this user!)

Thanks

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"Become this user" logs you in as the user.
Everyone will see that user online.
To log out, you simply click log out...

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
It also gets logged in the admin logs that you became that user.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29