Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Rick,

Might you be willing to make it optional that a board could be set up so that users log in with their e-mail addresses instead of usernames? It would still use their usernames etc. once they logged in.

After struggling with the issue for some time, we moved our sites to use e-mail address for login a few years ago (as more and more big sites do).

Now, we tell people that they have to log into www.* with email/pw and forums.* with username/pw.

We do have a continous stream of senior (older) users that seem to get confused by all of this.

Thanks for considering it...

Greg

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 7
Or... put both e-mail and username on the log on screen so the user has a choice..

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
E-mail would be better as they would have to keep them up-to-date. wink

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I would vote for e-mail address and get that seperate loginname that's blocking other people's usernames out of the way!


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
I've never understood the concept of a different Log-in name to Username.

I remember it being introduced to UBB.classic ( around the early version 6 as an additional security safeguard I think ) but it just confuses people or they enter the same info in both fields anyway. I've had to change numerous names around for people in the past because the name they entered wasn't the one they wanted displayed in their profile.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Initially emails where used to login to 7; though some users (:cough:) expressed that other users would find major difficulties with it, not to mention users who have multiple email addresses will sit and dilly daly trying to remeber which one is it...

Also, a reason for login name vs pdn is so that you can:
a. login name "scriptkeeper" pdn "ScriptKeeper" or "Script Keeper" (formatting)
b. security (for example, your username could be gizmo whereas your pdn be "Gizzy"

Then there are several others, yack yack yack, i'm sure you're all tired of me talking :x..


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Without a doubt, log-in trouble is the biggest problem users have. It's amazing that something so basic can confound some people. I don't think there is one easy solution. But, I do like the idea of giving people the option to use their email address. But, even that isn't foolproof. I have some people who registered putting "www" in front of their email address. Unreal.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
I have some people who registered putting "www" in front of their email address. Unreal.
you too? lol


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
of course don't forget some sites allow more than one login per email - in those cases what would you input?

However maybe it would be an option to use either - the problem is I would strongly object to switching solely to email as it would confuse many people who already login just fine using their username.

Such a change would have to be gradually introduced IMHO




Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by Ian
Such a change would have to be gradually introduced IMHO
My argument precisely when this was initially proposed just over a year ago wink...

Though I can definitely see where this would be beneficial to some select communities, but a lot of other sites will see no real need for such an option (and would cause much un-needed confusion to members).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I would love to drop the display name field, and have loginname the same as the display name.

Is there any reason to block a display name because somebody else uses it as as a loginname?


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I think so, you know, if I use the login Gizmo i'd hate some schmo using the PDN Gizmo if I temporarily was using one like "Admin Gizmo" or such...

Or a better example would be firstnamelastname as the login, and FirstName LastName as the PDN, I wouldn't want someone creating FirstNameLastName as the PDN and masquerading as me...

Last edited by Gizmo; 10/07/2007 10:09 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I think so, you know, if I use the login Gizmo i'd hate some schmo using the PDN Gizmo if I temporarily was using one like "Admin Gizmo" or such...


Don't switch temporarely to Admin Gizmo then.

I have to sell to users that they can't use name X because user Y has it as a loginname. In my opinion, if you register you can claim one name, not two.

As far as maskering, How about G1zmo and Gizm0.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
That's why I added:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Or a better example would be firstnamelastname as the login, and FirstName LastName as the PDN, I wouldn't want someone creating FirstNameLastName as the PDN and masquerading as me...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)