Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#199821 10/23/2007 9:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
May be for ntdoc, but if others know the answer, please post smile

I'm installing Windows SBS Server 2003 R2 on a new dell server - the server has 2 250gb disks in a raid 0 (or 1 - can't remember and not in front of the server right now). When beginning install I was asked if I wanted to create a partition for the OS of 25gb and I said 'yes' since I've read for increased stability it's helpful. Well, the partition was created fine, but now it only shows that I have a C: drive with 25gb and nothing else.

Do I need to format the disk and start over? Or is there a way to get this to drive D: or something...


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
A disk partition tool like Partition Magic should be able to create a partition in the unpartitioned space for you. I'm sure there are several free ones out there (partition magic itself isn't free)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #199824 10/23/2007 10:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
just go to 'Administrative tools' -- 'Computer management' -- 'Disk management'

you will see all your partitions there as well as unpartitioned space.

[Linked Image from blehnet.com]
you can partition, format, assign drive letters and more smile

*poof* done smile

SD #199827 10/23/2007 10:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
TYVM SD, I thought it may be something simple, it's been a few years (7-8) since I've set up a server. smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
AllenAyres #199830 10/23/2007 10:31 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You know, I've never even really thought to look there lol... Never had the need to adjust partitions on my systems (one large drive, one lotta space!)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Yep SD showed you how already. Sorry was off Teaching an Excel class today so no time to look at the board this morning.

Well with a single built-in controller and only 2 drives it really doesn't matter that much on the partitions.

You could have easily used the whole thing but having a separate drive for SHARES and DATA is a good thing. You can modify the root of the D: volume for more locked down permissions (though 2003 is much better than any previous version for that already)

As for "stability" no not an issue. I have a 600GB RAID0 at home that runs just perfectly.

Now if you have more controllers and more hard drives then YES it could make a big difference how they're setup.

Sound like you've got it going already though so cheers grin


ntdoc #199863 10/23/2007 6:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Thanks, smile

Setting the partitions took only a few seconds. I added one for installed programs that aren't OS, and the rest for shared user files/storage smile

I'd like to add a third hard drive for backup storage - recommend an internal or external/usb hard drive? They're pretty cheap nowadays for a few hundred GB.

I can remember being jealous of a co-worker because she got the 'good' computer with the 340mb hard drive and mine was only 180mb and something like 16mb of ram laugh But when I snuck the upgrade Windows For Workgroups 3.11 onto my pc (what's security?) it flew! laugh This server is a dual quad core xeon with 4gb of ram, PERC 5/i controller card and 500gb of HD thumbsup


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yeh I often remember upgrading another 1mb ram into my 286... Then when I upgraded to the 386! Then when we got the decommissioned desktop PC's from Nike (486 SX's) then dreaming of a 486 DXII...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
TYVM SD, I thought it may be something simple, it's been a few years (7-8) since I've set up a server. smile


fyi, windoze XP has the same dealio. it's really not a 'server' thing per se.. 2c

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
This server is a dual quad core xeon with 4gb of ram, PERC 5/i controller card and 500gb of HD thumbsup


Well that's quite a bit of dell you got there really. Why such paltry drives? What you running or wanting to run/support with this server? For database or other critical applications using RAID1+0 (known as RAID10 to some) would be the fastest but is quite expensive due to needing so many drives. I setup one at work a few months ago and with SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
SAS
using 15K RPM drives. Did an el cheapo speed test on it today actually and it reads about 155MBS sustained and about 330MBS burst reads (exceeding the SCSI 320 theoretical speeds (real life SCSI 320 does not read that fast)


For a backup drive I'd really recommend an LTO3 tape drive from dell (since you're buying dell) you can do them to a hard drive but unlike tapes you start to run out of space on a hard drive for backups even with a TB drive. (I just bought one for home since I lost a 300GB drive and about 20% of it was not backed up)

With tapes you can keep buying more and send them off-site for secure backup and over a certain time period do a rotation back into the current tapes. Just decide how long you may want or need backups. At Disney we had to keep some for ever, once did a restore of an entire 340GB drive from tapes that were about 7 years old. Normal Servers were only stored for 1 year, then the tape was brought back in and reused.

A bit different but semi-related. Here is a nice link on Wikipedia for bandwidth limits
List of device bandwidths

ntdoc #200035 10/27/2007 3:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Merci smile

We really don't do a lot with the server, which is why the previous one lasted ~7-8 years. We're a small operation - maybe 4-5 concurrent users up to 8 at peak times. I'd have continued running SBS 2k but we were beginning to have more and more issues with it, an inspection by a SBS geek confirmed our AD was corrupted and she recommended replacement. So here we are... e should be set for the next 7 years, or until my dad decides to retire/sell, whichever comes first. We are looking forward to a more stable network and faster throughput for our accounting and point of sale systems. smile

In setting up the server it told me it only supports 2 processors. When I view performance in the Task Manager it has 8 windows for watching processor performance, does that mean it uses all 8, is there a way to verify this?


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phun), 259 guests, and 127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)