Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Here is the scenario: I noticed that the total number of physical votes reflected in a given poll did not match the "x total votes" verbiage at the top of the poll.

I believe the following to be true:
1) The poll votes are recorded in the MySQL database table PollVotes.
2) The poll votes are counted (by querying this table during the page build) using the number of unique entries in the P_Voter field of the PollVotes table.
3) If a number of users vote from the same company (same public Internet IP address) or location (such as a home with multiple users sharing the same ISP IP address), then the "x total votes" count will be wrong as it would only reflect one vote for a given IP address. (See duplicate vote prevention note below.)
4) I confirmed this by using phpMyAdmin to insert rows in the PollVotes table with the same vote results and IP address. The IP address is also the only apparent method of preventing duplicate or multiple votes, there fore I don't see a way to have the "x total votes" to reflect the actual number of votes, unless I manually edit the table.

I searched the support forum but could not find a similar situation or discussion. In summary, my questions are:

Is this a bug or limitation?

Can anyone offer a fix or hack to allow an accurate count based on the actual number of entries in the PollVotes table?

Is there a viable workaround to the multiple vote prevention method of IP address tracking? Maybe using cookies or a timer to allow one vote per so much time?

Am I nuts? <--- Rhetorical question.

TIA for any help.

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Okay, since surprisingly no one replied, let me ask this: Where (if anywhere) is it documented how poll votes are recorded, and the procedures implemented to reduce duplciate votes?

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J Offline
Your input is appreciated, but lets avoid cheap shots. Try threadsdev.com .

--
Website Development and Management
www.jcswebdev.com
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Originally Posted by J.C.
Your input is appreciated, but lets avoid cheap shots. Try threadsdev.com .

Hi - Just checking old posts. Please let me know what part of my post you consider a cheap shot. I'm being serious, not sarcastic.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
hehe, JC don't post much anymore. Sorry for missing the original post.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29