Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201915 11/23/2007 11:43 AM
veteran
veteran
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH!

There, that's better.

I decided to have a go at quitting smoking and I'm now on my 10th week but I can't understand why it's still so damn difficult. The first week or two seemed easier than it is now. I admit that initially you do get an immediate benefit from not smoking but as the weeks go by you soon forget about that.

I've smoked for 22 years on and off, avg 10 to 15 a day, but decided that enough was enough and wanted to be smoke free by my 40th birthday in January. I did quit about 8 years ago and stayed off them for 12 months but started up again for some reason. When I quit last time I don't remember it being this hard. Maybe it's just an age thing and another 8 years of smoking on top.

I know it's the right thing to do and I'm determined to keep on going no matter what but it's a pretty miserable existence at the moment. Bah Humbug!

veteran
veteran
I've just noticed that my user title is "addict" and I have to get to 700 posts before it changes. Not funny! frown

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Go on mate - you can do it.

I can't remember the stats - but there is a period after giving up when your health will revert to what it was before you started (respiratory-wise). It's hard to believe but facts are facts.

The thing that really helped me when I was giving up, was catching a cold! I was about three weeks in and I caught a stinker. The nicotine muck that came up was unbelievable - so disgusting that it hardened my resolve.

Here's to catching colds wink

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
I've just noticed that my user title is "addict" and I have to get to 700 posts before it changes. Not funny! frown

laugh

400 addict
700 old hand

Less then 2 hundred to go laugh Just post when you feel the urge to pick up a sigaret smile

One minor thing though, how would "old hand" feel as membertitle if you are hitting 40 laugh

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #201923 11/23/2007 1:07 PM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I've gone the other way - smoked when I was younger - gave up when I became a Christian, several years ago - left that a while ago now, but have recently re-started smoking - I guess am now on 40-60 a day - not regretting it at all and enjoying it whilst I can smile

Ian #201924 11/23/2007 2:41 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Ian
gave up when I became a Christian, several years ago

....are they related then? Or is it just 'frowned' upon?

driv #201928 11/23/2007 3:10 PM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
I used to smoke a pack a day and really enjoying it, kind of like a hobby blush I quit 5 weeks ago and I barely notice any urge for a sig.. the kick-off process really depends apparently confused

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
When I gave up - I went from 20 a day to 2 a day. That was for two weeks, to help with the cravings. It seemed to work.

Well, I've never gone back smile

driv #201930 11/23/2007 3:49 PM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
It's weird, when I still smoked and I ran out of sigarettes, no-one could stop me from getting some, immediately. I could not stand the thought of being without.
The day I quit, it was a big relief not being independant from those things anymore.

So cut back to a few a day, I really could not have done that eek

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
At the moment we are either using USA, Portugal, Spanish, Andorran or Luxembourg cigarettes - whether I will still smoke when I have to pay British prices again is another question...

Ian #201942 11/23/2007 8:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I smoke a mini cigar or a cigarette a day, then a big 'ole stogie once or trice a week or so wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Great if you can stick with only one or a few a day.. With me it's either nothing or everything crazy

veteran
veteran
I agree, all or nothing. If I had one or two it would creep back up to five or ten. I also don't agree with NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) as you are still getting the Nicotine even though you aren't smoking, and it's the Nicotine that's the cause of the addiction. My theory is that you kick the smoking habit with NRT but once you've done that you then have to kick the Nicotine habit so in effect you're going through hell twice.

It's a strange thing. Yesterday I would have quite easily given in and bought some smokes but today I'm absolutely fine and it's not bothered me at all. Just think how crappy and disappointed I would have felt today if I'd have had a smoke yesterday.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Yep, got to keep that in mind!
The NRT does give you the ability to kick graduatly (not sure if I say this right), some people really can't handle to quit cold turkey, it raises their agression. Glad I'm not one of them..

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I think it's a case of "whatever works for you".

I mean, it could be that (depending on how long you've been smoking) you aren't so much a nicotine addict as a 'cigarette' addict.

I've known guys who mainlined smack but were needle freaks rather than smackheads - if you get my drift...

NOT that I am comparing ANY addictions, in any way, shape or form!

driv #201967 11/24/2007 9:15 PM
11 months for me smile

26th December 9pm 2006 - Not a defining moment lol

I used the patches and it was easy, well so much easier than cold turkey.

It is a mind game, you have to "Want" to stop or your just kidding
your self.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Mark S
you have to "Want" to stop or your just kidding
your self.
Never a more true word spoken...

driv #201977 11/25/2007 1:00 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Keep it up SK, I'm amazed anyone can kick it, it's very difficult, from what I understand. Good luck thumbsup

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hang in there dude...
I used to smoke 4 packs a day when I was in the Army.

[Linked Image from i27.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from cartoonstock.com]
[Linked Image from 3ca.blogs.com]
[Linked Image from imagecache2.allposters.com]

[Linked Image from graz.metblogs.com]

veteran
veteran
It's good to know what other people are going through or have been through and interesting to get an incite in to other peoples smoking / non-smoking history. Your posts are very encouraging and much appreciated.

My wife also stopped at the same time (it was her decision to try and quit that spurred me on) so that makes a huge difference. No matter how much you want a smoke you don't want to let each other down so we're kind of propping each other up. We might be hurling abuse and trying to kill each other in a few weeks but for now it seems to be working.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Well, ten weeks in - you must have broken the back of it?

driv #201993 11/25/2007 10:03 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Here in OR it's illegal to smoke indoors at a lot of places (I think bar's are the only exception), it's crazy... Parts of the laws say you have to be X ammount of feet from the building, which if you followed properly would put you into the streets lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
It's pretty much smoke free everywhere in the UK.
Pubs are not excluded.

Autumn is here and it's getting quite cold, but the pubs still have lots of people in their gardens... smoking!

England goes smoke free

Last edited by driv; 11/26/2007 5:35 AM. Reason: link
driv #201999 11/26/2007 6:01 AM
veteran
veteran
Well that's one of the reasons my wife wanted to stop. She works for Local Government and with them not only can you not smoke in the buildings, you're not even allowed to smoke anywhere within the perimeter of the building or the grounds of the premises.

Some of the offices are based in old schools and these grand old houses / listed buildings set in acres of land so if you want to smoke you have to go for a drive. You're not even allowed to smoke in your own car in the car park!

And, to top it off, if you do go for a smoke you have to clock out and it is classed as an absence! Power gone mad me thinks.

driv #202001 11/26/2007 6:48 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by driv
It's pretty much smoke free everywhere in the UK.
Pubs are not excluded.

Autumn is here and it's getting quite cold, but the pubs still have lots of people in their gardens... smoking!

England goes smoke free

I have no objection to going outside for a cig - but the problem with many places means you stand in the doorway of the establishment, which can't be good for the pub.....

Sadly we are all getting far to controlled by the authorities in so many things these days - not exactly a case of a free world any more....

Ian #202008 11/26/2007 2:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ROFLMAO - Sort of what I was saying in the other post about England being watched and being used to it.

The US is not far behind though.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It (the smoking ban) would be a bad thing if it weren't so bad for everyone within breath of the smoke. I can't hardly breathe clean air, let alone wafts of smoke crossing my path smile Not counting infants and children with respiratory issues.

I tell you what, you can smoke in the same room as me if you don't mind me shooting you with a pellet gun for each cig lit up. Oh, and one pellet each for my wife and child if they are in the room. It won't kill you immediately, but the lead built up over the years should do about the same as lung cancer, heart disease, kidney failure, colon cancer, et al attributed to tobacco.

I have rights too...

wink

- Allen
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I tell you what, you can smoke in the same room as me if you don't mind me shooting you with a pellet gun for each cig lit up.
ROTFLMAO
Oh, very good Allen laugh laugh laugh

driv #202015 11/26/2007 3:35 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I quit after my heart attack. 29 years smoking. 8 or 9 weeks without. It ain't easy but it gets more easy every week. I used Chantix for the first month then stopped taking it after I saw the price to refill it. Sucks, I actually miss it, but I don't miss winding up in the hospital and I don't miss the pain of a heart attack. That kinda hurt. A lot.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LOL - Agree Allen.

Don't see anything wrong with the no smoking in public places (especially enclosed rooms), but even banning out doors is a bit over the top for me.

I quit smoking many years ago, but I don't think that gives me a right to FORCE others to quit. As you say, just don't smoke in the same room with me.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I agree we don't have the right to force others to quit, as long as it doesn't affect me and they foot the bill for their healthcare when the tobacco does what it does - don't force me to pay higher premiums to help pay for those who'd 'rather fight than quit' (old old commercial reference for those under 40 wink ). I do understand most insurance companies require higher premiums for smokers, but not all and I don't think it completely covers it, especially when it comes to medicare/medicaid.

That said, I don't think smoking is any worse than obesity when it comes to long-term health issues - don't eat twinkies in the same room as me either if you are >25kg overweight.

Have I touched everyone's nerve yet? wink It's about personal responsibility for one's choices, whether it's skoal or quarter-pounders with cheese. I admire anyone who takes up that challenge and kicks its butt, like navaho and SK.

- Allen
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
That said, I don't think smoking is any worse than obesity when it comes to long-term health issues - don't eat twinkies in the same room as me either if you are >25kg overweight.

What about alcoholism? Loads of help on giving up smoking, loads of tv progs on dieting, but curiously little help for those with this terrible problem. Surely smokers & over eaters don't go around abusing their familes.

Now there's a raw nerve, if ever.....

driv #202024 11/26/2007 4:45 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We were just discussing that here at work. Alcoholism and drug addiction is as/more devastating to those involved as the others, and usually works to the end much more quickly (those who die from tobacco and obesity related diseases still usually make it to their 50's). I guess I was discussing the more socially accepted addictions.

- Allen
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I guess I was discussing the more socially accepted addictions.

...hmmm - an interesting thought frown

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I guess that means that about 80% of Americans can't be in the same room with Allen wink

Appears though that many English and Europeans are on their way to join us though, just at a bit slower rate.

The sad part of taxes is that it really doesn't matter. Whether a hundred million use it or no one uses it, the tax to you won't go away. It might be redirected to something else but you won't see the change in your wallet.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I don't know... my taxes went down a bit in the last 7 years wink We're almost to insulting the other 20% now (or was that 49.99% tongue ) wink

- Allen
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Well, I'm paying roughly 22% until 28K then 40% over that.

I don't mind paying paying taxes whilst there are those who need it.

But in the UK - benefit fraud.......
Well, just don't get me started mad

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I would never smoke in the company of those who do not smoke, after all I do not smoke in my own house - we will always go outside, whatever the weather.

After all if I can go 12 hours on a plane without smoking I can go an hour or two.

At the appartments that we were staying in in Florida - we could smoke on the balcony's, but not inside - which is no issue (we never book smoking rooms in hotels, as I am asthmatic) - they make a $150 charge for cleaning the rooms in those apartments, because sadly some guests think it is their right to smoke inside - and consider the $150 a small price to pay - very selfish

Okay - so you are asking, why do I smoke, especially when I could stop tomorrow - well I guess I enjoy it - and heck I might die tomorrow, so getting Cancer is not a worry for me.

I might as well enjoy a sin or two at the moment smile

Ian #202042 11/27/2007 11:02 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
How does the smoking affect your asthma?

- Allen
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
don't ask tongue

not good - but have given up worrying LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29