Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#202083 11/28/2007 2:03 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I would like an option so that when someone uploads a custom avatar it is only available to that user. I know they could save it and upload it if they really wanted to but, just the same a restriction that lets someone try to keep their avatar for just themselves.

-Tim
Cuervo #202090 11/28/2007 5:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Again, similar to your "User Permissions" post, why? What's the point in that?

You're going to have to give us some incite in to what exactly you are trying to achieve.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Problem is the image is available on the net, and therefore the person could easily re-use it, even if you tried to prevent it.

Ian #202099 11/28/2007 6:03 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
My thought is if someone went to the trouble of making their own avatar it seems kind of rude to from others to just pick custom and be able to use one that someone may have put a lot of work into.

I'm sure Gizmo would be a little pissed if someone used his avatar.

-Tim
Cuervo #202104 11/28/2007 6:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cuervo
May be but unfortunately there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I can't see why someone would go through the whole process of creating a personalized custom avatar and not want to show it off to everyone anyway. Also, avatars are another way of identifying other members. It's easier to see an image and relate it to that member than to look down a list of names in a thread.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
Also, avatars are another way of identifying other members. It's easier to see an image and relate it to that member than to look down a list of names in a thread.

Exactly - mine looks just like me after a heavy night wink

Ian #202108 11/28/2007 8:41 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I could care less, i t blatently has my name in it lol... wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
May be but unfortunately there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I can't see why someone would go through the whole process of creating a personalized custom avatar and not want to show it off to everyone anyway. Also, avatars are another way of identifying other members. It's easier to see an image and relate it to that member than to look down a list of names in a thread.

Well that's my point. We identify people by the use of their avatar. So, if someone created their own and uploaded they might not want everyone else using it on that board. I never said anything about not showing it off or not letting other see you avatar.

Gizmo, I think your name is in that avatar so others no it's yours and to keep others from wanting to use it.

-Tim
Cuervo #202118 11/29/2007 6:44 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> I doubt they'd want to use it in any case, worthless avitar I uploaded for the sheer sheepness of having one hehe... Plus, who else is Gizmo, and who else looks like that :X...

I can see your point though in "locking" avitars; at least from use of the same file... Not too sure if it'd benefit enough community owners to warrent official inclusion in threads however.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #202119 11/29/2007 8:31 AM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I wonder, how often do avatars get "copied". On our board it may have happened once or twice in our 7,5 years, can't really remember the last time.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #202120 11/29/2007 9:34 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I agree, most people that spend any time on line would normal know it'd be kind of "bad form" to take someone else's avatar. It did happen to me on a forum but rather then be a butthead about it I figured I ask for something here.

I don't know how any of this is structure so I was thinking if each user had a slot in the database for their avatar it could store their custom avatar without letter other select it.

Anywho, that's my idea.

-Tim
Yarp #202124 11/29/2007 1:11 PM
veteran
veteran
I never said anything about not showing it off or not letting other see you avatar.
My apologies Cuervo, I misunderstood you when you said "when someone uploads a custom avatar it is only available to that user" I thought you meant visually. blush

Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I wonder, how often do avatars get "copied".
Well on the same board I think it would be pretty rare (although there is no reason why more than one user couldn't have the same stock avatar). I think you're problem would be from hot linking by users of "other" forums. smirk

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I guess you could technicly prevent users from having the avatar (url wise). But thing also is, sometimes you just don't want that.

9/11 was such a moment, where half our community switched to a black avatar that a user of the community put up.

For some things technical solutions are just not the thing. You can't get too technical when it comes to actual content or it will bite you.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I never said anything about not showing it off or not letting other see you avatar.
My apologies Cuervo, I misunderstood you when you said "when someone uploads a custom avatar it is only available to that user" I thought you meant visually. blush

Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I wonder, how often do avatars get "copied".
Well on the same board I think it would be pretty rare (although there is no reason why more than one user couldn't have the same stock avatar). I think you're problem would be from hot linking by users of "other" forums. smirk

No worries, really!

I guess I'm being more emo on this then needs be. But I would like to see uploaded avatars be something that person has access to. If someone wants to go to all the trouble of riht clicking, saving image, uploading to the same board just to have that avatar I guess they would get it anyway you look at it.

-Tim
Cuervo #202254 11/30/2007 10:23 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
[Linked Image from blehnet.com]

since you mentioned eMo laugh

SD #202258 11/30/2007 11:22 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wasn't going to say it, but the one thing i had to say was "Does your grass cut itself?" wink

Gizmo #202386 12/03/2007 8:02 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I wasn't going to say it, but the one thing i had to say was "Does your grass cut itself?" wink

lawl, I know, I know. But if I could get my grass cut by someone else without paying for it, I'd let them just so I don't have to watch.

Thanks for listening. /emo off

-Tim
Gizmo #203048 12/11/2007 4:05 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I could care less, i t blatently has my name in it lol... wink

Gizmo, I'm sorry you are so upset, it was not my intention. I kind of thought you would see it as a pun, not a slap in the face.

I've seen this kind of behavior where people didn't care about how it affected others to take their personal avatars and just use them. Which is my entire point about trying to get a system that would at least make people do things other then just select them to use it.

I didn't mean to "use" you as methode to get my point across to others. In fact, I thought it would be you that would understand my point more then anyone, Gizmo. The fact that you put so much time into your avatar, like others, I know it means more to you then just graphic.

-Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 919 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29