Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#202179 11/30/2007 2:44 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
stranger
stranger
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
Is there a simple way to stop the system cache? My site is new and I want it to update in real-time until it gets going and I need to use the cache.

I searched this forum and read the Admin docs and I don't see it mentioned.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Your system is in real time, the only thing that is cached is old stuff, compiled templates, islands and stuff. Your forumdata itself is as realtime as you can get.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
stranger
stranger
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
OK, there's something I'm not understanding. When a new member joins, I don't see his username updated in the "Newest Members" island until I clear the Cache. Why?


If you're 20 and not a Liberal, you have no heart. But if you're 40 and still a Liberal, you have no brain.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
That information is cached. You could set cache time to one minute, but afaik you can't disable that caching.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
As blaaskaak says reduce it to a minute - this is virtually realtime.

Bear in mind though the shorter the cache time, the bigger the strain will be put onto a system.

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
stranger
stranger
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
Yes, I understand. I see where you set the cache time in the islands you create (post, gallery and custom), but where do you set the cache time in the pre-made islands like "Newest Members", etc?

Thanks.


If you're 20 and not a Liberal, you have no heart. But if you're 40 and still a Liberal, you have no brain.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Control panel > Portal > Portal settings


[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)