Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 225
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 225
I know this is in some other software and it would be nice to be able to disable general user registrations sometimes and only allow new registrations from people who have been issued an invitation code or something that expires if they do not use it. That way you could turn off general ones and only allow certain people on for a time.. or use it for a closed site.


Join Europes biggest BMW M Car owners site
M-Torque - www.mtorque.co.uk
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
yah, this is a good idea (imho). i've done this for a 7.2.2 site where the user base (already regged) get a certain number of 'invite codes' issued to them, based upon varying criteria -- lenth of service, stature.. bla ble --

then can then do an invite ala Google invites and sign up..

works fine and gets the community active to try and bring more peeps in as well as doing a semi pre-screen of the types of members who will be signing up..

good stuff smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 225
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 225
Yeah exactly that smile


Join Europes biggest BMW M Car owners site
M-Torque - www.mtorque.co.uk
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I do like this idea; you in essance turn the community into a word of mouth signup... At times you can actually turn up signups by doing this (if you have a userbase, simply sign up at one of those "get the uber secretive invite codes here!" sites, and troll it with your site)



I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Same system could apply to a 'closed' forum smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I mean an individual forum, rather than the full forum, if you see what I mean wink

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Great idea, its almost a loyalty card system.
I like it.

Upto now i have to pm members to say there in a hidden forum now.


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
shhh... next Tesco's will introduce it wink

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Welcome, have you received your UBB Club Card lol


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 176 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)