Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Talking of digestion - just tucked into a second helping of sticky fig pudding laugh

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What the heck is sticky fig pudding?

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Figgy pudding - served after Christmas dinner, soaked in brandy, set fire to to burn it off and then served with brandy source.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Found on the internet.....

It's amazing what a brief mention in one Victorian-era Christmas carol can do for an obscure little dessert called figgy pudding. Every year, thousands of people around the world become curious about the figgy pudding mentioned in the secular English carol "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." Apparently, the party-goers mentioned in the lyrics refuse to leave until they get some figgy pudding from their host. This must be some seriously good pudding.

In actuality, figgy pudding is more of a cake than a pudding. There have been recipes for figgy pudding since the 15th century, although its popularity as a Christmas dessert probably reached its peak during the late 19th century. Several factors have significantly hampered the wholesale expansion of the figgy pudding industry, including an interminably long cooking time, an exotic ingredients list and a cringe-inducing dependency on saturated fats for texture.

There are numerous recipes for figgy pudding, from a traditional steamed version similar to modern bread pudding to a pastry-covered blend of figs, dates, fruits and spices. Nearly all figgy pudding recipes call for three or four hours of steaming. This is accomplished by placing a metal bowl with the figgy pudding mixture into a larger bowl partially filled with boiling water. The indirect heat generated by the boiling water cooks the figgy pudding evenly and slowly. This is equivalent to using a bain marie water bath for individual ramekins filled with batter.

The most traditional figgy pudding recipe is very similar to a carrot cake base blended with a custard. Chopped figs are added for flavoring and texture, along with chopped dates or apples when available. The spices in a figgy pudding are similar to carrot or spice cake - cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg are commonly used. Heavy cream, eggs, sugar and milk help to create the custard. For additional flavoring, many traditional figgy pudding recipes also call for liqueurs such as cognac or rum. Non-alcoholic extracts can also be used.

Some figgy pudding recipes call for a loaf of fig-infused bread to be crumbled into the mixture, while others suggest standard breadcrumbs. As if this weren't enough, the most faithful recipes also call for the addition of an animal fat called suet. Suet is a form of fat found near an animal's kidneys. Pure butter and shortening can be substituted if suet is not available locally. All of these ingredients are mixed together in a metal bowl or pudding mold and placed in a larger pot for steaming over a fire.

Only three or four short hours later, those house-squatting carolers demanding their figgy pudding can finally be appeased. Steaming was a very popular cooking method before the days of regulated heating. Even if the source of the heat were inconsistent, the food itself would still cook fairly evenly. Even so, the unveiling of a figgy pudding was often a defining moment for the cook. The dessert would be either a solid success or a soggy mess. Charles Dickens hints at this figgy pudding moment-of-truth during the Cratchit's dinner in his novel, A Christmas Carol.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ian
The most traditional figgy pudding recipe is very similar to a carrot cake

Well then it must be pretty good. I really like carrot cake. grin

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
tastes nothing like carrot cake LOL Or even looks like it - far more sticky and delicious.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
It is 'Yule Log' tonight grin

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Ian
It is 'Yule Log' tonight grin

C'mon now Ian, this is a family orientated board wink

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
LOL - I assume they have Yule Log in the USA laugh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You keep your log to yourself and we'll get along just fine wink

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Well I did tongue Problem is I now have to loose all the weight put on over the last few days LOL

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Ditto frown which takes us neatly back to this thread .

addict
addict
We have sticky date pudding in Australia. Yummy. smile

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
At least our convicts imported something for you wink

It seems to be confined to certain areas - it is not common in Europe even.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I know the song, but i've never eaten the product :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
We purchased a nice posh version of it, in the post-Christmas sales - the date is 2010 so it will do fine for next Christmas smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I hope it's not like fruit cake... :pukes:

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
nope - nothing like fruit cake - that is Christmas Cake - also very nice with marzipan and icing smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29