Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
L
stranger
stranger
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Hi, I hope this is the right forum.

I've noticed while looking around here, that it seems to be highly recommended that if using the 6.5.2 version or lower that it should be upgraded, due to security issues. I belong to a forum that is using the 6.5.2 version, and it's constantly getting flooded with spam on a daily basis.

What I want to know though, is the mass spamming part of the security issues, or is it because of something else? And if the owners can't or won't upgrade, is there an easy fix to stop the spam?

Thank you so much, I appreciate any advise you have. smile

Lora

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I would strongly recommend you upgrading ideally to 7.2.2

The new version now enjoys fairly standard benefits of captcha and email verification which should cut out 99% of any spam.

I get very little spam out of the 30,000 posts a month - maybe 1 or 2 posts are spam if that.

Spammer use false email addresses and if they can't verify their address and you do not allow guests to post, then you will see very few issues.

Of course there are other security reasons why you should upgrade, and needless to say software companies would not discuss such matters on an open forum due to a potential risk to other software owners.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It's due to the security, pre 6.5.5 forums have holes.

But I'm with Ian, an upgrade to 7.2 will add more than security, it adds a lot of features and less overhead on the server.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
L
stranger
stranger
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Thank you very much. I figured the best thing would be to update. Now hopefully I can get the top gurus to do just that. that's the tricky part, our little forum seems to be very low on the totem poll.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year! smile


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)