Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#204979 01/16/2008 5:47 PM
veteran
veteran
With the introduction of the subscription groups in 7.3 I'm after some insight in to your implementation of this feature.

Have you any ideas in mind for your forums?
Are you doing something similar already?
What prices will/do you charge for subscriptions?
What do your members get for subscribing?
What time period (One time payment, monthly, quarterly, etc.)?

If i was to implement any this at all,

i would let all exiting members have a free membership / subscription.

Dont want the place going dead over night lol

There are a lot of pro's and cons.
If i was to start a subscription i think the only type
of forum would be a VIP + 500 posts. Something like that.
And it would probably be a 12 month thing. And a stupid price of £10 or $20 that's it.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'll likely be moving our donations from a separate page to our forums to allow an on-site confirmation vs just the paypal pages.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
With the introduction of the subscription groups in 7.3 I'm after some insight in to your implementation of this feature. Are you doing something similar already?
I switched my board over to totally subscriber base last June. At that time, I had 11,000+ members. I'd say only about 6,000 were "active". To date, out of those 6,000 I've had 2,012 pay to subscribe to access my board.

What prices will/do you charge for subscriptions?
$15.75 for a year, or $3 monthly
I based my price on that of a magazine subscription for similar content (fishing)

What do your members get for subscribing?
Less idiots. Seriously. The amount of time myself and the moderators spend dealing with problems is almost non-existent now.

I'll soon be making some changes to my board to allow more access for non-subscribers. At that point, I'll be shutting down PM rights for the non-subscribers. The PM community on my board is huge.

What time period (One time payment, monthly, quarterly, etc.)?
Most of my users opted for yearly. But I did offer a $3 monthly plan option (which actually ends up costing the user more than the yearly).

Some Advice for Anyone Considering the Subscriber Route
I could write a lot about the subscriber-based board, but I'll just try to touch on a few things to start...

- In my opinion, there are 3 reasons to go subscriber-base:
1. Weed out trouble-makers
2. Revenue
3. Give the subscribers more options than the regular member

- As you can guess, users will fall into three groups when they learn they all of a sudden have to pay: those who are into it, those who aren't sure, and those who will tell you to piss off. I heard from the best and worst kinds of people when I switched my board. I went through a bit of hell making the change.

- A subscriber-based site isn't for all kinds of communities. It works well for mine (a fishing community in a small state). Fishermen can be protective of what info. they post, and they like having some privacy and control of who can read their posts.

- When I switched my board, I switched 95% of the forums to subscriber-only. There are positives and negatives to that kind of all or nothing decision. In hindsight, I have no regrets. But, make no mistake, no matter how rabid your users, you will lose some of them when they find they have to pay.

- When I started, I used a SirDude hack to get the bulk of my early subs ID'd in Threads, but now I currently manage my subs manually. It's kind of a pain, so I am really looking forward to seeing how well 7.3 meshes with PayPal. There are all kinds of little things to consider with PayPal: people's emails are sometimes different for their PayPal account than their Threads account, credit cards expire or change and that triggers an automatic subscription cancellation (which confuses users)

- There are always going to be people who don't want to use PayPal for whatever reason. For those people, you have to give another payment option. I let that group subscribe by mail. I've got 300 of those users that I'll have to figure out a plan for renewals.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I plan to charge £5 or $10 per year for 'Gold Membership'.

I am not sure if a smaller amount will get a higher return than setting a higher amount.

The bulk of my forums will always remain free.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
What will gold membership get the user? That's what I'm struggling with at the moment. What's the value add such that there's a compelling reason to become a gold member other than the fact you may give them a title of "Goldmember"

Yah baby, Yah!

I may just test out the donations thing.
With that you can see who's paid anyways.

So if that fails, then just make it a subscription wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Just another quick idea?

Send a e-mail to members to sign up for a year free wink
Or reply to a subscription free e-mail link.

And then they can get a year free wink

More of a reminder idea for my plans lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 549 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29