Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Hi,

I followed the upgrade instructions and all seemed to go ok, but when I try and access the forum again afterwards all I get is a blank screen - no HTML source, no errors in PHP log, no nothing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? Need to get it working before everyone comes into the office at 9am Paris time tomorrow!

Regards,

- Paul

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Hmm, if it's completely blank it should be throwing an error somewhere. Do you have access to the php.ini file? If so, can you check the display_errors section and see if that's turned on so it will show any php errors to the browser?

Do you get the same blank screen when trying to access the admin section? admin/login.php instead of ubbthreads.php?

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Damn - my fault. I had put 7.2.2 in a new directory and copied in the styles, includes etc. rather than copy the new version over the top of 7.1. The upgrade script didn't complain though, which seems strange...

I just this minute got it working by taking a copy of my 7.1 tree, copying the 7.2.2 files into it (after having removed the necessary directories from that tree), re-running the upgrade script (which straight away said it had finished) and it kicked in again fine.

Phew!! I shall get to sleep tonight after all smile

Thanks for the prompt reply.

- Paul

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
I wonder if I might have screwed up the upgrade after all - I am trying to add some new categories and forums, and nothing is showing up in the lists

Looking in the database, I have a load of tables which are in mostly lower case (e.g. ubb_Boards - my test forum is shown in there BTW) and then a load of tables with a *different* prefix and the second half in caps e.g. ubbt_FORUMS.

Have I broken it completely??

Regards,

- Paul

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
In case it helps the diagnosis, if I go to edit a "pre-upgrade" board in Control Panel, then change the "forum=" in the URL to the ID of the forum that I created but can't see anywhere, I can actually access it to edit it. It still doesn't appear on any of the list in control panel though (same for the category that I created since the upgrade).

- Paul

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
The ones in mostly lower case are the tables from your 6.x forum. The ones like ubbt_FORUMS are the ones from the 7.x forum. They both have been installed in the same DB, so you're seeing both. Eventually when you get everything working right, you'll be able to drop the old style forums.

If you're adding a forum and it's not showing up, for starters you can make sure your cache is being updated (this holds the information on the forums for the list). At the bottom of the control panel menu you'll see an option to clear the cache. Try using that.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Thanks Rick,

Turned out to be file and directory permissions in the end, preventing the cache from rebuilding itself. I was sure I'd gone through and done set everything when I did the upgrade the 2nd time around, but apparently not! Everything is running along nicely now thanks.

- Paul


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)