Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
Sell subscriptions using paypal? verotel? segpay? or other payment systems?

Ad users to a certain group manually and have them removed automatically after a certain period of time... to be able to manage subscriptions manually?

Set users so they have to wait a couple of days to post?

Set users so they can not send PM till they make 15 posts?

Allow users to ad themselves to groups of their choice?

Is there a user blog option as was mentioned as coming?

Send PM's to all users, or users in certain groups?

Thank you

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Paypal is slated for 7.3, most of what you're asking for is in there. Other payment systems may be added in the future smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
journeyman
journeyman
Nice
What does slated mean?
That it will come with 7.3 final?
Can you use that paypal feature to ad subscriptions manually and without using paypal?

Will subbcriber or user in certain groupd display a special image next to their usernames?

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Paypal should work fine for 7.3 smile

Although I have yet to test it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Taylor
What does slated mean?
Well, in the UK it's means that something has been given a really bad review but I'm sure Allen is using the term to describe something that is a definite addition or "set in stone" so to speak.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
In the US, "slated" means that it's schedualed to be in wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
What does slated mean?
Well, in the UK it's means that something has been given a really bad review but I'm sure Allen is using the term to describe something that is a definite addition or "set in stone" so to speak.

We need to teach these folks how to talk like wat we do.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> I can talk like you do, when I feel like completely alienating the entire country... which is generally on a daily basis :x...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
Paypal is slated for 7.3, most of what you're asking for is in there. Other payment systems may be added in the future smile

What would be great is if UBB would work with "Amember" as it used to do before...

journeyman
journeyman
Sell subscriptions using paypal? verotel? segpay? or other payment systems?

Ad users to a certain group manually and have them removed automatically after a certain period of time... to be able to manage subscriptions manually?

Set users so they have to wait a couple of days to post?

Set users so they can not send PM till they make 15 posts?

Allow users to ad themselves to groups of their choice?

Is there a user blog option as was mentioned as coming?

Send PM's to all users, or users in certain groups?

Thank you

Been told most of it is there...
Which are not there?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Been told most of it is there...
Which are not there?

7.3 Changelog whistle wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
journeyman
journeyman
Looking at the changelog it looks like most are NOT there... :-) or more like 50/50

The subscription thing has really been around for years as an ad on so it is not a big deal... except that today it is just as it was years ago and only good for Paypal... not other payment option has been added. not even the "other payment options may be other in the future" is new...
The only new thing is that it is not an extra.

That is why I asked again.
When I stated using this soft almost 8 years ago... I could come here and get answers... now the whole thing is a mistery... nobody answers a question

Is this not where we are supposed to come for help and support?
If it is the wrong place to ask questions and get answers please let me know...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wouldn't dog the feature like that... PayPal is only the CURRENT option... We first start with a BASE then work to ADD to it... Otherwise the dev cycle would be MUCH much MUCH longer... I'm sure you can count on authorize.net and many others in the future...

Well, THIS site is for user to user support; we only know what we're told and what we've learned about the product... The official support section is the Groupee support desk.

As for what features where added, it's a no brainer, the ChangeLog is there, and Rick does a fairly efficient job of adding what he throws into the product into the changelog... You just have to take the time to actually go in and read it...

journeyman
journeyman
Considering that Groupee has been offering the most fantastic subscription service anywhere for years... and that the ubbthreads Paypal addon has been available for years for a small fee... what is being added to UBBthreads for subscriptions can be called the underdog... most people want to sell subscriptions, Paypal is great but not for all as the Paypal TOS are very restrictive...

The software developers see things one way and users see it in another.

The way I see it. A "Yes" or "No" to each of the available feature questions would have been a good and helpful answer

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Your questions require more than 'yes' or 'no' answers. smile

- The 3rd party paypal addon hasn't been updated in years and was never released for the 7 series, nor was it cheap. So, including it for free in the base code is a bigger deal than you are giving Rick credit for. smile Rick has stated he plans to include more options in future versions, beyond that there's no definite dates for any of them.

- no

- there are temporary bans, if that's your question

- you can do that by groups (pm's 'yes' or 'no'), set permissions for groups and allow users to automatically move up the next group when they reach 15 posts

- no, unless you mean they can choose to post more and automatically move up

- not yet

- no

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
btw, 4 out of 7 is 'most' wink

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, again, these forums are USER to USER support; so talking down to the users who're attempting to spell things out to you (and putting them down) is simply going to make them not want to respond to your threads...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A "Yes" or "No" to each of the available feature questions would have been a good and helpful answer

I agree that would have been a "good and helpful" answer. I simply linked to the changelog because that is where we ALL (users) would find the information to your questions to begin with. When I posted at 3:31AM, I didn't feel I needed to take all that time to look up your questions, so showed you where to look to answer your own questions. Besides, looking in the changelog and within these forums is how you learn more about this great product without relying so much on others looking for basic info up for you. This is as opposed to answering questions about using certain features, or even working-around or modifying certain features -- we're pretty good at that, and often give detailed replies and suggestions, often after long research. wink

Last edited by jgeoff; 03/31/2008 1:31 PM.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Veteran
Veteran
I find out more about the product by not asking questions but surfing this site and the UBBDev site.

I will say that most of these guys in here answering questions are pretty much like I was years ago. They develop new code and features and submit them to everyone for free and hope that one day their creations are added into a final release as a standard part of the product.

What makes UBB so different and about the best and secure is that Rick listens to those who tear his product totally apart and look for ways to make it better, more secure, and easy to use for everyone. That is what makes it the best product on the market ever.

Most other message board systems use UBB as their center source for making their own product making them always lagging behind and hardly ever come up with great new features incorporated into the product.

I have in the past spoke with Rick and Dave and also learned that Rick is a very good programmer and one of the best I know. What he does is not that easy and when he makes new features and puts out new releases he always makes sure anyone having an older board by his company has the ease and ability to upgrade with little or no hassle.

You need to keep in mind since Windows 3.1 the mentality of the average computer user is point and click, make it go with no reading, and if you have to read its to hard. This product is designed just that way to make it better for everyone to use and not need a degree in computer science or programming to install and run the product. For the most part that is even harder then creating the product it self as you need to think of every aspect a user may come up with and solve it for them without making them feel stupid but manage to have then glad to use your product over another companies.

I'm glad there are people like Rick out there always making his product better and interacts with all his clients. Most companies will not even take your phone call or reply to users without getting their credit card first.

< we love rick topic required > smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
btw, 4 out of 7 is 'most' wink

Thanks
Sorry if I was a bit annoying. Getting a bit annoyed of waiting for things to be added to UBBthreads when I see those features as standard in most free boards

The first line was four questions and the answers Yes, No, No, and No

So that is 6 No's our of ten

Invested to much in Ubbthreads and want to see it pay off.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Having been a part of the beta-tester team prior to ubb.classic and ubb.threads even reaching version 6, I can understand your frustration wink

That said, I've also been a part of several free forum scripts (php/mysql and .net) and their development... nothing moves as glacially as a free forum script's development. I think your dates are a bit off, under the best of circumstances. Not counting that I don't trust any of my sites to the response time of a developer and their willingness to put in even more free time to fix a security bug/issue. I can't think of any free script that's close to threads in features, security and rock-solidness. Even going back to the 6.x series for .classic and .threads - no free script comes close.

Anyways, I know Rick knows how fast/slow development has been, not sure that anything can be done about it at this point. I've learned to wait, go do some other paying (real life) work and come back when there's something to play with smile

- Allen
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well in general I would agree that not much close in the completely free category. Though the semi-new release of phpBB™ 3.0 “Olympus” isn't too bad looking. Not sure about all it's features and / or security models - just based on looks and some features.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Do you know how long it took to go from discussion to gold for phpbb 3? Well over 5 years - not saying it isn't a nice product, but whew! I thought going from v6 to v7 took a while wink

- Allen
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah, like I said I wasn't up on all their features or security, but I do recall that 2.x was around for a LONG time.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This release has been pretty slow for sure. I had hoped to get a release out about every 3 months. This one has taken much longer. What we did this time was have several people contribute to the code. It was great in the fact that we have a lot of new stuff for this version, but it's taken far too long to actually get it to a stable release and has slowed the overall progress.

We won't be going that route again. We'll go back to concentrating on a specific area for each release and then throwing in some smaller features as well. This will keep the development and beta cycles much shorter.

Could we have a road map?
To guide you?

There are already some features turned off on this site
that many don't like.

Some feedback on your ideas.
Just different views smile

We don't want you to get lonely you see smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
journeyman
journeyman
about 8 years ago when I asked my ISP to recommend a message board... they tod me the best was threads as it was the safest and the one using the least server resources... my ISP was clear... if I wanted to safe big in ISP fees and feel secure: go with threads

The few missing features are not really a big deal... not being sure you guy are going to drop the product is more annoying

The long times from release to release is scary in that sense...

A couple of years ago you said threads was history and to switch to Groupee... now Groupee is in testing and you cann ot even sign up... I have a few board there still going on but now the whole place is supposed to be only for band groupies

UBBthreads is still here and I have multipe sites using the software... but I do not like the uncertainty...

I few years ago when questions where asked here we got answers... but these days I do not feel like any of my questions are being answered... maybe I get an answer but it does not answer my question or solve my problem... I know I ask mostly about modifications... but that is becasue hte features expected are not there...

I love the fact that I never have any site crashes and the spam bots do not seem to know how to spam Ubbthreads...

Last edited by Taylor; 04/06/2008 10:18 AM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
There really is no uncertainty now concerning UBB.threads. We went through a stretch between 6 and 7 where we did change direction a few times. But then we went with sticking with UBB.threads and rewriting it for version 7.

7.1 and 7.2 came out in a decent timeframe, 3-4 months for the actual major release cycle. 7.3 has taken a bit longer because there are some pretty major pieces added that are fairly complex, so the testing phase has been going on for longer than I hoped for.

We already have plans for our next version and versions well beyond that. We know where we want to be, it just takes awhile to get there and make sure that features that are added work properly along the way.

Modification questions, you're somewhat limiting the responses you'll get here and you're best to ask on the modification site, which is www.ubbdev.com.

Questions or problems with the software itself, our ticket system is always open and responses there are pretty quick if you're not getting the help you need from the forums.

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you
I will be upgrading and will continue using threads

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29