Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#209607 03/31/2008 11:10 PM
W
journeyman
journeyman
W Offline
I am closing down my message board at the end of May (after 6 years of active participation) and was wondering if there is any way to make an offline copy of the posts that would be in some sort of usable format?

My site deals with Autism and there is an unbelievable amount of good information that the members have posted over the years. I hate the thought of losing it all...

I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I would ask in case someone had a great idea!

Thanks,
Winter

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I don't know the answer, but my question is, after 6 years... why??

I always thought of running a BB as "for life", and have actually wondered now and then who I'd "leave" it to someday... whistle In fact, it's kinda frightening to think that if, God forbid, something were to happen to (any Admin) tomorrow, what'd happen. Poof! Gone? I hope not...!!

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Too bad you are closing down. But keeping an "offline" copy is pretty easy.

If you install a local server with something like wamp or uniserver, you can just "move" your forum to your local server. If you keep the SQL dump, and all the files that were online, you can resurrect it anywhere, being on either a local machine, or something on the internet.

But if there is so much good information, I will repeat jgeoff's question: why??

As for poof, gone. Not gonna happen at our board smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like the route of culling your site "as is" and storing that; a utility like Teleport Pro (or Teleport Ultra is what i use) will grab the "visible" pages for you and save them in html format, to which you can burn to disk.

Why close up shop though?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
W
journeyman
journeyman
W Offline
Thank you for all the responses!

As for why I am closing up shop...it is a combination of not having enough time for work, family, school, friends, and web sites. So something has to go and unfortunately the web site is the most likely in that list. And a small part is the ongoing cost of maintaining a site. Although that is no too great on a monthly basis, it sure adds up over the years!

I am actually hoping that one of the existing members will step up and offer to take over the site. That would be best as it really is an amazing resource and is so helpful to a lot of people.

Thanks again,
winter

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
That I understand - is it possible to contact the national austism association to 'gift' them the info?

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ruben, Slaz, ahmed047, 1 invisible), 667 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29